Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Large Bore Exhaust
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Large Bore Exhaust

I recently fitted a large bore exhaust system from twisted performance. I managed to do the whole job on my drive using two sets of car ramps, it took me just about an hour.
The exahust system it's self is made from 2.5in dia stainless steel pipe it is supplied with all the mounting brackets and clamps, also stainless, The workmanship of the pipes and silencer is the best i have seen, it fits together really well the seals are perfect and they give you two really cool looking stanless tailpipes.
The sound of the exhaust changes slightly, i think it sounds a bit V8 ish, certainly not "Boy Racer".

The reason i fitted it was that it my D3 is turbochipped one of the things this does is put more fuel in, so it stands to reason that you need to get the gasses out quicker as well, oh and fit an ITG Pro Filter as well to get more air in to help burn the more fuel you have put in.

The combination of ITG filter and Exahust System give you an extra 25Bhp they say, i must admit that i noticed the improvement the first time i drove my D3. It seems to get up and go even quicker now.

Pictures in Gallery
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #6745730th Jun 2006 12:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

how has this effected your fuel economy

Post #6747830th Jun 2006 8:01 am
christyler

Fuel Economy

Fitting the exahust hasent effected the fuel economy in any way that i would notice.

I am not concerned about fuel economy any way, or i wouldent have bought a D3!!

Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.

Post #6751430th Jun 2006 9:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've never seen yours so clean Chris! Wink
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #675931st Jul 2006 12:07 am
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi there Chris.

Looking good there mate, can ask how much they set you back ?

Cheers
Barry

Post #675951st Jul 2006 12:30 am
christyler

Cost

Unnecessary quote removed

Hi Barry,

Yes it cost me £695.00, I think it is worth it, it looks good sounds good and gives you a bit more go.

Post #676061st Jul 2006 1:40 pm
christyler

Clean

bkehoe wrote:
I've never seen yours so clean Chris! Wink

Yes i think it rained the day i took that picture !!!

Post #676081st Jul 2006 1:41 pm
BWSB

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Want performance?

Chris,

If it's performance you're looking for forget the big bore exhaust, air filter etc. They may have a small effect linked with the turbo chip, but it's not the best you can get:

I use my D3 for towing boats as large as 3.5tons and as such need all the power and torque I can get my hands on, so I went to DMS in the UK. They took my standard ECU and without any intrusive process they "re-mapped" the thing, and in all under two hours.

I now have over 235hp and 510 NM "of torques" and it'll pull far better than anything it pulled before.

The other up sides are that I've increased the MPH, and if you're interested in figures you take 3.8 seconds off the 0-60 and over 10 off the 0-100.

The problem with changing chips and other identifiable items, the LR warranty becomes void.

Check out DMS as I did, and you wont look back

Post #676372nd Jul 2006 9:36 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

And this process differs from TC/JE how? TC used to have to take out the ECU in the past, but now do it via the diagnostic port. These figures are actually less than TC claim to get.

The term 'chipping' in most recent years doesn't necessarily mean needing to open up the ECU. Most modern cars have ECUs onto which a new map can simply be uploaded to from a PC. Nobody changes chips in the TDV6 ECU that I know of - the upgrades are either flashable or the plugin boxes.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #676392nd Jul 2006 10:34 am
catweasel

Re: Fuel Economy

christyler wrote:
I am not concerned about fuel economy any way, or i wouldent have bought a D3!!

fair comment but then why fit the exhaust and get it chipped?? ah you want to improve the performance and living in a country 31 times the size of the UK improvement to fuel economy is more important to me than a few more herbs.

Post #676422nd Jul 2006 11:49 am
christyler

Unnecessary quote removed

Because i can !! and i like the extra pulling power, what i am saying is that fuel economy was not my primary concern. In fact it is better and thats great to.

Post #676442nd Jul 2006 12:28 pm
catweasel

christyler wrote:
In fact it is better and thats great to.

thats all I wanted to know first up

Post #676452nd Jul 2006 12:32 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Looks good Chris,

I'd be likely to damage the tailpipes, but it would make it easier to attached the exhaust jack.

I haven't even look into chipping. Being 700km from Perth, it'd be a waste of money for me if the dealer cleared it at the next service. But I have no trouble passing trucks and don't own a caravan, so it doesn't really matter to me.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #676462nd Jul 2006 12:48 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Large Bore Exhaust

christyler wrote:
I recently fitted a large bore exhaust system from twisted performance.
Pictures in Gallery

Chris,

Have you noticed an increase in soot on the rear of the vehicle as a result of the pipes now sticking out straight ?

-- Paul

Post #676472nd Jul 2006 1:01 pm
christyler

Re: Want performance?

BWSB wrote:
Chris,

If it's performance you're looking for forget the big bore exhaust, air filter etc. They may have a small effect linked with the turbo chip, but it's not the best you can get:

I use my D3 for towing boats as large as 3.5tons and as such need all the power and torque I can get my hands on, so I went to DMS in the UK. They took my standard ECU and without any intrusive process they "re-mapped" the thing, and in all under two hours.

I now have over 235hp and 510 NM "of torques" and it'll pull far better than anything it pulled before.

The other up sides are that I've increased the MPH, and if you're interested in figures you take 3.8 seconds off the 0-60 and over 10 off the 0-100.

The problem with changing chips and other identifiable items, the LR warranty becomes void.

Check out DMS as I did, and you wont look back

Sound good, looks like your HP is up by 45. but it think you may be shocked to know that i didnt go to the UK i did it at home, the entire process took two hours, including the turbochip upgrade, exaust, and air filter. If we belive all that they are telling us, My D3 is now 295Bhp and approx 595 NM of Torque. You are most welcome to come and drive it to compare it if you want.
As some one else mentiond the DMS method is the same as all the others, the days of chip changing have gone.
I think landrover would have a hard time voiding the warrentee on say the gearbox because i have changed the exahust. However i think you will find that if they really wanted to be stickey that your ECU warrentee would be as void as mine.

Post #676492nd Jul 2006 1:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >