Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

satnav data gaps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
ferrett

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Pelyma wrote:
You have got it on the correct country setting, if it is for instance set as France it will only do French postcodes, but will know where it is still.

Yes I have tried all countries available just in case we were listed under France or who knows whre and not the UK
 2012 D4 - SDV6 XS - Firenze Red  
Post #6641126th Jun 2006 9:30 am
ferrett

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

JMC wrote:
Given that there are not many roads in JE, do you really need Sat Nav?

Not the point. I would have liked to have tried it out before using it in UK or France.
 2012 D4 - SDV6 XS - Firenze Red  
Post #6641226th Jun 2006 9:31 am
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I've just returned from a trip to Le Mans (via Portugal) in a RRS HSE, and was surprised at how many roads were missing and strange / incorrect routing suggestions compared with my little Garmin Nuvi.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #6641726th Jun 2006 10:11 am
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Never mind the missing coulpe of roads, every country behind the Iron Curtain (except Czech) is missing... Shocked Mad
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #6642626th Jun 2006 11:08 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

well someone must have them, can everybody check their pockets please? Wink

Post #6642926th Jun 2006 11:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JohnD

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Satnav - poor European map database performance

The D3 is fitted with a Nippon Denso OEM DVD Sat Nav system. The system itself appears to be comparable to other vehicle manufacturers OEM systems but the Map database is, in my opinion, unacceptably, Very, Very, POOR!

The DVD Map Database is provided by NavTeq which is otherwise well respect in the industry as one of the better suppliers of Geo. Map Data. But, for some inexplicable reason this is not the case in the D3 incarnation; apart from all the already forum-highlighted issues in respect to navigating in the UK, emerging from the Channel Tunnel in a five month old D3 was even more challenging. Sadly, the experience was less than acceptable and unlike other vehicles I have driven in Europe, I would not recommend that you rely solely on the D3 Sat Nav unit for directions.

As is general with all Sat Nav systems, the further South in Europe you travel the less detail and accuracy you can rely on. It’s just one of those facts of life that some European countries have yet to sufficiently invest in digital mapping programmes. As you cross the French - Spanish boarder in your D3 the Sat Nav system will warmly welcome you to Spain. However, unlike comparable systems, thats the last time your D3 Sat Nav should be trusted! By the time you reach the outskirt of Madrid the unwary traveller with aspiration to reach the Gibraltar and the Costa del Sol is likely to be navigated into a ‘deadly embrace’ - with D3 Sat Nav unable to resolve a perpetual circular route which would see you navigating Madrid for eternity! Reality hit me around 3:00am in the morning when I realised a sense of Déjà vu and no fiddling with the D3 Sat Nav would resolve the matter. Finally, with the air conditioning losing the battle with my ‘annoyance’, I dug out my XDA II PDA complete with TomTom 2003 and set course. To my even greater annoyance, the TomTom performed beyond expectation - despite having a map database that was already well-passed its sell-buy date! On a subsequent occasion I took the D3 to Spain, the TomTom was primed and running in parallel with the D3’s Sat Nav and frequently nominated better route choices while offering much greater detail.

Subsequently, I took the matter up directly with NavTeq Europe including suggesting it might be helpful if they included various local roads (including my home address) which had been around for over 4 years and had yet to make it to their Map database. Well, they could not come up with a viable explanation but they did suggest the following link to request the inclusion of map data:
http://update.navteq.com/df_form.asp?langu...mit=Submit

note: any updates will take at least 6 months before they reach any new updated DVD Database for your D3.

Overall, the performance of the NavTeq database just underlines the superiority of aftermarket Sat Nav products which can be updated over the internet. OK, the base map data comes largely from National Agencies such as the Ordnance Survey and as mentioned some European countries have yet to get their act together. But, if TomTom can get right, why can’t Land Rover & NavTeq? I await my first visit to my supplying dealer....

Post #6646826th Jun 2006 1:19 pm
DavidT

And it costs £1530! I'll keep my Navman then.

Post #6690428th Jun 2006 12:11 pm
TKMixmaster

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Sat Nav Performance / Accuracy

Recently returned from a trip to the Med coast in France and had a couple of "moments" with the Sat Nav. In some (not all) steep sided valleys/gorges the unit indicated a position about 100yds off the road. Perfectly tracking with the road, just beside it! My guess is that the unit only tracks 3 or 4 'birds' whereas TomToms et al usually track 4-5 allowing them to remain accurate with the loss of sight of 1 or 2 'birds'. For a go anywhere vehicle this was disappointing. Anyone seen the same or have a better explanation.

Unit also has a predeliction for taking you off by-passes and sending you through towns (both in the UK and France (best/worst example : go through Newbury on the way to Portsmouth rather than take the bypass - I dont' think so!) - again my TomTom understands them better.

One other thing - have you watched the Landrover USA video of an LR3 Navigating a plane from Nice to Sardinia (See http://www.landrover.com/us/en/Vehicles/home.htm) ? It interviews the DENSO Navigation engineer, but I have not yet been able to get hold of him to discuss the above!!!

Post #7919117th Aug 2006 6:29 pm
TKMixmaster

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Correction

OK it was Corsica not Sardinia!!

Post #7919217th Aug 2006 6:30 pm
wardpg

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Most maps have mistakes built in to help with copyright. If someone tries to copy the map for any reason its then possible to prove where the copy was made from. I was watching a programme about the london A to Z and the manufacturers admitted that ther were some genuine errors inthe maps but that this helped them prove that their map had been copied, i guess that provider of car navigation systems do the same.
I was travelling on the A9 from perth to pitlochery earlier in the year and the sat nav showed the railway line on the wrong side of the road and this road has been there for years

Post #7919517th Aug 2006 7:11 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Most of the problems stem from the original data source, which I've been lucky enough to have access:

Courtesy or "Spitting Image circa 198~"
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #7921717th Aug 2006 8:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

You don't have it bigger, do you ? Wink I really would like to see what is written about France ! Very Happy

Otherwise, if you like poltical correctness, try out this website : http://www.petersmap.com/

Sad

What else are they going to invent ?
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #7921917th Aug 2006 8:44 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gurvan wrote:
You don't have it bigger, do you ? Wink I really would like to see what is written about France ! Very Happy

It's............ not surprising. Sorry Embarassed
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #7923017th Aug 2006 9:09 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think it says 'Frog Land' Shocked

Post #7923217th Aug 2006 9:10 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Not too bad... I'll have to find again "The Rumsfeld version" one day... That was a good one too !
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #7925017th Aug 2006 9:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >