Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sat Nav dims
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Limpopo

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Sat Nav dims

Sat Nav screen was dimming and brightening dramatically and repeatedly today at around dusk while it was following a route.
As it was a longish journey, I was able to experiment a bit.
I stopped the dimming by cancelling the routing. The screen was perfect. I then fully brightened and fully dimmed the screen (using car dimmer and Sat Nav dimmer). Several minutes on each and perfect.
I then re-routed the Sat Nav, which started talking me home again. Perfect. I then started to apply my logic and this is where it gets dodgy. I considered the most likely cause was the mapping input - the DVD player. (It has one, I hope?). And this player was doing what players do - play up!
I ask for some opinions because I don't fancy an over-eager dealer replacing screens and other items in the hope they 'find' the fault. I'd rather narrow it before we start. I searched for old references here and found a few. Not many people seem to have complained.

Separately, the car has now done 2000km and I love it. It is beyond expectations.
For the record it is a V8 and has just covered the 600km motorway from Durban to Johannesburg at 13.3 litres per 100 km (13.5 going the other way) and this at speeds of 120kph to 140kpm, where is seems very happy.
It was loaded with family (husband, wife, two kids and bulging full load).
This car is an expressway kilometre-eater of the first order. It's refined, its technology is cutting edge and it's true there's nothing out there to touch it.
The highway economy is impressive to say the least (diesel fans must close their ears). I mention this because I know how difficult it was for me to find info on fuel economy on this site before I bought a V8 )
Downside is town driving - and I mean stop-start idling - which it shouldn't be doing. This, with auto box, will give me 22 to 23 - if I'm careful!

However, at this price I demand integrity of build and design. There have been a few too many issues mentioned here for my liking and they are simply unacceptable. I was told this was the 'most tested' car on the planet before launch, covering more miles in various parts of the world than any other car. Well, I repectfully submit, that there simply would not be so many 'issues' if that were the case. Dodgy compressors and faultly satnavs would have been found.
I have given Land Rover the benefit of the doubt with my purchase and look forward to my association with the vehicle. But if it starts to give me grief, this one will be my last (of three) and I will be found in a big Toyota or Nissan.
 Must look at it from the bright side...  
Post #6464518th Jun 2006 8:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Limpopo

Smile

My apologies for the length of the above. Got carried away. I see Martin's system has somehow applied a smiley with sunglasses to at least one reference of V8. Now I have to smile....
Post #6464618th Jun 2006 8:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

There is an ambient light sensor in the bottom of the tachometer. This directly controls the amount of backlighting on the nav. Try shining a torch on it and you will see what I mean.

If you were driving through trees, where the ambient light fluctuated, then that might be the reason.

Post #6464718th Jun 2006 8:52 pm
Limpopo

Sat Nav dimes

Thanks Gareth. I'll experiment with that. Your description though is spot on. Only problem was there was just vast openness around, not a tree in sight. But it did cross my mind that the sensor had seemed to get its knickers in a knot over a twilight reading, sort of not knowing which way to jump. But then, how come I was able to stop the problem by cancelling navigation?
Post #6465118th Jun 2006 9:00 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

maybe just coincidental? the internal temperature will also have an effect as the backlight is fluorescent (as are all LCD screens) was the aircon at a very low setting?

Post #6465818th Jun 2006 9:08 pm
Limpopo

Satnav dims

Thanx for that, TFC. The aircon was set at a comfy 20 and didn't change for hours. Remember I also fixed the problem by first cancelling and then restarting auto-routing.

Just spoke to the dealer and they reckon they now have software updates for V8 - the package deal, as discussed on this site - and that they involve satnav updates. They also reckon it might be the player and that it could be fixed with the updates.

Regarding these updates, my vehicle came off the line Valentine's Day (ho, hum) and therefore is not that old. Shouldn't be too many updates. Is anyone aware of any reason why I shouldn't update a V8?

I ask this in all honestly having just had a DII updated. Now I have endless problems with wheel sensors and the best wisdom that I can find is that updates have now made the central control unit too sensitive.
Post #6476119th Jun 2006 8:17 am
10forcash

Auto routing shouldn't make any difference to the screen illumination Confused i'm not aware of any CJB software 'sensitivity' issues either...
The software updates are summarised here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64116#64116
Unless it's a sub-set of another module's software, there doesn't appear to be anything related to the nav. screen.
sound's to me like the dealers are clutching at straws - re: the wheel sensors - have they carried out the calibration procedure properly? Confused

Post #6476319th Jun 2006 8:34 am
Limpopo

Satnav dims

Hi TFC,
I always clutch at straws when there's nothing else to grab. Thanks for the updates list, which I have read, but it's not specific about update for nav screen. Dealer is equally vague. I go forward with hope. Smile

So far as wheels are concerned, I frankly didn't know anything about calibration. Embarassed However, I can say I've had a new ABS modulator and sensor, which LR paid for out of warranty, and a further sensor and a cable - all to rt front. Finally, they have replaced whole hub. So far cost me only 100 quid. Nothing works so far, I have all three lights on and it's all an experiment. Sad

This is off-topic, I know. What happens to transgressors? Are we to be dumped onto the RR Sport site, perhaps? Laughing
Post #6478719th Jun 2006 12:20 pm
10forcash

which 3 lights? is it ABS/HDC/DSC? if so, get them to look at TSB LA303-005 - although this relates to the TDV6 it could give them so information to work on

Don't worry about the RRS'ers - they're all Japies! Wink

Post #6478919th Jun 2006 12:25 pm
Limpopo

Satnav dims

Appreciate the heads-up on RRS'ers, TFC. The three lights are HDC, ABS and traction control. I'm talking of D2 here, not D3, hence I will now affix blindfold and prepare for dispatch. Rolling Eyes
Post #6484719th Jun 2006 4:57 pm
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Limpopo

I find that mine tends to 'search' when it is twilight

I think it needs a little fuzzy logic - I was going to get it checked next time I am in at the dealers but I don't hold out much hope.

Mine was built end of November 2005

Post #6487519th Jun 2006 6:47 pm
Limpopo

Satnav dims

Bluebarchetta.

Search - that's exactly what it was doing in twilight.
Post #6488919th Jun 2006 7:40 pm
10forcash

Re: Satnav dims

Limpopo wrote:
Appreciate the heads-up on RRS'ers, TFC. The three lights are HDC, ABS and traction control. I'm talking of D2 here, not D3, hence I will now affix blindfold and prepare for dispatch. Rolling Eyes

Must reads the post fully Thud
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post #6489219th Jun 2006 7:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >