Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

What use is a Discovery 3 without tires?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hans Oey

Netherlands 
What use is a Discovery 3 without tires?

Since 3 weeks the new Discovery I ordered is standing at the dealer. The problem is that I ordered them with Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires. The old ones with speed indicator Q have gone out of production and the dealer can not find them in stock anywhere. Goodyear told me that the new ones with speed indicator S are planned for June, but that they were unwilling to make any promises about that. Now the dealer tells me there will be no new Wrangler MT/R. This means I will not be able to get decent off road tires on the standard (19") rims. The only off road tires that almost fit the bill are from Cooper, but they are 245/70R17 in stead of 235/70R17. So I would have to change the rims and I would still have tires that not meet factory recommendations. (Changing to 17" rims is probably not possible on V8 because they have larger brake discs.)

Ok. So now I have started worrying. Next problem are winter tires. I am not afraid of driving in snow with proper off road tires, but since this month real winter tires are mandatory in Germany (during the winter). This means that M+S tires are not enough. There has to be that little sign with mountain tops and an ice cristal on the tire. Goodyear does not seem to have any in the right size. Does anybody here have real winter tires?

Please, let me know I did not buy a car that I can not drive off road and that I can not drive in winter time. Evil or Very Mad
 --
Waitig for a Discovery3 TDV6 (no fridge) 

Post #6089829th May 2006 2:48 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

The 18" 10 spoke wheels will fit over your brakes, and Nitto makes a great tire for them. Nitto Terra Grappler A/T's 285/60/18. They are nice, big, meaty looking tires, are excellent off road and in the rain, and drive very smoothly with little tire noise, and seem to be wearing well also.

Photos of mine are here:
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=9&paged=2

Post #6091529th May 2006 4:33 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

In the winter I had Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tyres on my D3, on 18" rims, (255/60 R18, I think); photos in my gallery. I presume these are the variation with rubber more suited to lower temperatures. I found them fine but I didn't really have all that much use on icy roads (I only got the car in March).

For occasional winter use in Germany, I would have thought that M+S tyres would probably have been ok. The fine is only €20, or €40 if you actually get stuck and cause a traffic jam. Can you imagine a D3 being the cause of a traffic jam in snow before some other cars or trucks are stopped? Of course, from a safety point of view, proper winter tyres would be preferable (and I will use them). However, if you're only using them for one or two weeks, it looks rather expensive - unless you skid on summer tyres Crying or Very sad

Eric

Post #6098129th May 2006 8:00 pm
Hans Oey

Netherlands 

Thanks, but to be honest, I am a bit concerned about using sizes that do not meet factory recommendations because of the insurance. Besides, do those Nitto's really fit? I read on this forum about somebody who tried 275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer STT and in the end there was a small amount of rub on the rear wheels.
 --
Waitig for a Discovery3 TDV6 (no fridge) 

Post #6099829th May 2006 8:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >