Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Wheel Alignment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CJS

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Wheel Alignment

I have had two tyres replaced and also had my wheels realigned. Now, however, the steering wheel sits down to the right (quite some way) when I drive in a straight line. The guy who realigned the wheels (who has an excellent reputation) suggested I get the dealer to correct this. Has anyone else had a similar problem and do the dealers know how to sort this out?

Post #58953325th Jan 2010 11:10 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Sounds like the person who did the alignment (good reputation or not) didn't do the adjustments with the steering wheel in the straight ahead position, but just did it the easy way with the minimum of work for them.

Post #58954025th Jan 2010 11:25 am
andycouchman

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cheek! If you don't do the job properly - checking the steering wheel is straight and making equal adjustments both sides on the rack, you end up with the steering wheel no longer pointing straight. I'd get him to do the job again - but properly this time...
 Andy C  
Post #58959625th Jan 2010 1:06 pm
CJS

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have been back to the guy and even to another but both said the same thing. In fact they said this is quite common with the D3. Both say the dealer needs to refix the steering wheel as wheel alignment is spot on. Obviously they did check the wheel was pointing straight ahead (I was there and checked myself). I just wanted to know if anyone else had come across this.

Post #58969425th Jan 2010 3:17 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My own steering wheel is a couple of degrees off-centre. I put this down to some historical cack-handedness or "that'll do" attitude when adjusting on the track-rods or whatever. Slightly irritating but not enough to go to hassle of getting it readjusted.

Post #58972925th Jan 2010 4:45 pm
raftrey

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Depending on how far your steering wheel has been moved it is quite possible that the steering angle sensor is out of its 'tolerance zone' and will have an effect on the vehicle, in effect the car now thinks your turning when your not which is ok at 30-40 mph or so but get on the motorway and the car won't like it and you'll get the dreaded 'lowering suspension' etc etc.

I know cause its happened to me and before anyone says mine must have been miles out it wasnt, probably about 1/8 of a turn if that.

Post #58981125th Jan 2010 6:32 pm
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

took mine in to hav wheels aligned and when I got back in to drive away the wheel was miles out. The chap put a clamp on it which presses against the seat inside. It was out by 7 degrees i think. I didn't go back with it as I wanted the car 4 wheel aligned (optiflexed). took it to the same place my local dealer use and told them I wanted the wheel on straight. when it came back the wheel is still off center and the car pulls to the left quite bad. I had the lower arms replaced thats why I had it optiflexed. does anyone else suffer with left pulling?
got to take the car back at some point
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #58987225th Jan 2010 7:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >