Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Starting To Get A Bad Feeling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
KevinTDV6SE

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Starting To Get A Bad Feeling

I am starting to get a bad feeling in the bottom of my stomach. I've had my 2005 Discovery manul SE since Nov2009 and was delighted to finally own my first Land Rover. I've waited years to get one but now I already have a list of problems.

1. EPB failure = £500 & not covered by Warranty Direct. Luckily The Big One helped me out!
2. Squeaky brakes! Only serviced Sept09
3. Squeaky clutch pedal
4. Cracking noise when heaters are on
5. Only managed 24mpg & apparently re mapped for better economy by previous owner

I'm hoping this isn't the start of a nightmare, I'm starting to lose a little faith.

Post #58517719th Jan 2010 9:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

1. Ouch.
2. Check everything is seated properly and that all surfaces that aren't friction surfaces have a film of copper slip on them
3. No idea. Probably something needs greasing!
4. My plastics crack when heaters are on. Assume it is expanding under the heat.
5. About what my SE manual does, but I rarely do long drives and have been playing in the snow a lot recently!

Smile
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #58517919th Jan 2010 9:10 pm
Blaserman

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Welcome to Land Rovers chap Thumbs Up
I have an 05 SE manual, I get the same noisey clutch and cracking noise as the plastics re-adjust themselves when the heaters are on. Oh and and anywhere between 19 and 22 to the gallon, would still want more from a chip! Have you had it checked to make sure its on there?
Landrovers are a labour of love unfortunatly Thumbs Up
 "The fate of the wounded lies in the hands of the one who applys the first dressing"

Club MTR

Club Powerplant 

Post #58518119th Jan 2010 9:15 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Hi,

I have an 05 SE and get the creeky plastics when the heater is on, worse in the cold so I assume it is just the plastic warming up - don't worry about it!

The brakes may be because a cheaper brake pad have been used, it was a major problem on my TD5 until I was advised to only use a particular brand of pad (can't remember which) but it worked!

The clutch peddle is a common fault and you just need to drop the trim iun the drivers footwell and apply WD40 to the peddle and some sewing machine oil to the spring you will see when you look up the peddle, I did this a few months ago and never had the noise back and I know others have done the same to great effect.

Mileage seems a bit low to me - I average 27 MPG and sometimes manage more.... never trust the computer!

Hope that helps

Steve

Post #58518919th Jan 2010 9:28 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I've been driving DEFENDER'S for the past 20 Years, I cant say id notice if the plastic creaked or the brake pedal squeked ! so in that sense not much help from me !

I will echo what others have said already tho "That's Land Rovers"

I think its called preventative maintenance, I wouldnt worry about the MPG, there all about the same ? ish Thumbs Up kind of ?

And again, the computer is no Carol Vordeman, Mines + / - 5 mpg depending which way the winds blowing i reckon,
Down hill with the sail up works best.

Post #58519919th Jan 2010 9:38 pm
KevinTDV6SE

I would also like to add that its been serviced by land rover fully

Thank you for your replies,

I do love my D3 but didn't expect so many faults so soon, I just want to have a smooth drive & feel confident in my Disco

Post #58520119th Jan 2010 9:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Don't despair. Owning any car, used or new, often throws up these challenges.
The trick is keeping things in perspective.

Now, are you a 'hands-on, I don't mind getting dirty to fix it/save a few bob/learn about my car', type of person? or are you a 'I haven't a clue, I'd best take into the garage and leave it to the experts' type of person?

(No intention to offend in any way) Thumbs Up

If you are the former, then 90% of your problems are not problems.

If you are the latter then everything is going to be a problem, and expensive!

1. Failed EPB is normally due to lack of cleaning. I would speak to your dealer (assuming you bought it from a dealer) and argue the case with them.

2,3 & 4, Noises, whilst annoying, can almost always be fixed by spending a little time (with an assistant) checking over the car and having a good old dig about to find the cause. When you find the cause the cure is usually obvious!

5, MPG has been a subject of many discussions on here. My D3 would regularly return 29-30MPG. I recon I am a steady driver, but in my D4 I can only manage 22-24MPG. Perhaps I am enjoying my new 'toy' a little too much!

Welcome to the world of Land Rovers. What you are calling faults, we call niggles! or....

An opportunity to improve on the original design! Thumbs Up

Post #58520619th Jan 2010 9:45 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Kevin

calm down chap
you have in the mist a saviour commeth

he takes the form of TFC and he will lay his hands on said D3 with the utmost care and all will be good Bow down Whistle
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #58520719th Jan 2010 9:45 pm
KevinTDV6SE

You are right...

I need to have a beer and relax, I do have some visiting me sunday to work some magic, I hope!

I would love to be the hands on type and get my hands dirty but i'm worried i'll do more damage than good plus I am completely unequiped. I do have some wooden handled screw drivers, a blunt hacksaw and a hammer.

Post #58523619th Jan 2010 10:15 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

careful Iain will be wanting to borrow them then Laughing
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #58524119th Jan 2010 10:17 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just use the Hammer !

Liberal force applied whilst swearing !

And as Discodad quite rightly says, what you refer to as Faults we commonly refer to as niggles.

TLO's advice on utilising EXPERT help and Advice thro TFC will be time and money well spent.

Post #58524619th Jan 2010 10:22 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

TFC doesn't need the hammer, he just uses gaffer tape!!! Big Cry Big Cry

Re low mpg, worth checking for binding brake calipers, was the cause of my mpg falling sharply! After drive carefully put back of hand against centre of wheel, if more than mildly warm that could be the (or one of the) problem. Just don't stick your fingies through the spokes to check the temp of the disk, it hurts!!! Embarassed

PS when was the air filter last changed??? LR say every 45k, change mine at 15k

Post #58525119th Jan 2010 10:31 pm
Dave T

England 

"1. EPB failure = £500 & not covered by Warranty Direct. Luckily The Big One helped me out!"

Kevin, you say the electronic park brake wasn't mcovered by warranty direct. I'm just pondering whether to cross to them from Warrantywise. When I took out my warranty I mistakenly didn't tick the "Wear and tear" box, much to my cost. No weasle words my Censored Censored Big Cry Big Cry

I have just had a call from Warranty Direct and I specifically asked them about the park brake and they said yes it was covered.

The question is, what is your milage and level of cover, I wonder if that could be the difference as I am also running a 2005 manual at 65,000 miles.

Post #58556020th Jan 2010 11:56 am
KevinTDV6SE

Basically you get a little book with items that are covered and park brake motor isn't listed... The call centre staff was very positive when phone to claim, once the garage had spoken to there engineer that answer was NO. They said ref to page 5 in thier book which lists the brake parts covered. I then asked the engineer why the park brake motor wasn't listed and was told most cars they cover don't have electric park brake so it isn't listed.

I then cancelled my policy Evil or Very Mad

The policy was securecare 70,000miles £62 per month rolling contract

Post #58560820th Jan 2010 12:31 pm
AWD man

England 

2005 SE Manual

25-26mpg (Used to be 28-30 but dropped post 295 Grabber UHP's.. prob due to larger circum compared to 275 conti's that were on it before)

Dash cracks etc when heater is on... expanding plastic I'm sure Thumbs Up

Breaks are fine

No squeeky clutch petal...but got clutch slip which is annoying, especially as I'm only on 37k miles Censored
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #58561420th Jan 2010 12:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >