Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Drive Train Rumble
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Steve55

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Drive Train Rumble

Does anybody get a bearing rumble above 40mph? This happens cold or hot, in drive or neutral. I don't thrash the car as it does 29+mph and it was run in carefully. The sound is difficult to locate exactly where it stems from buts not the tyres roaring.
This has only started in the last 1,000 miles. The Disco has just had its 15k service but NFF result by the service guys. Apart from this the car has been fine since the day I collected it new.
I await a torrant of answers .........??
 Discovery 3 SE Auto Zambezi Silver
Black Leather Seats
Build Date: 12th April 2005 23:40
Leave Site: 14th April 2005 04:16
Source: Land Rover Lode Lane
Reg: 1st July 05 

Post #5937121st May 2006 9:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Steve

Is yours noise heard with on-power or trailing throttle that you can hear it and can you describe the type of noise?

I have a noise that sounds like an improperly lapped differential but the service centre couldn't find it but did a transmission software upgrade while they had it.

I first heard my noise when I put the windows down at less than 80kmh beside a 1 metre high concrete barrier. The noise was most prominent then and it seemed to be most noticeable when under light power and at the point between then and trailing throttle.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #5938621st May 2006 11:39 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You must get your dealer to refer to Land Rover Global Tech reference and look up Technical Service Bulletin LA307-001.

This is "upon Customer complaint" so you need to complain to get it.

Quote:
A customer may report a concern of an unusual noise from the transmission/drive line when driving with manual gear 3 selected under light throttle applications between 1500-2000rpm. The noise may be described as a 'scraping' or 'dry bearing noise' but is not apparent in 'D' (drive) or other gears.
Cause: Under certain specific conditions, the torque converter causes an undetectable vibration which causes the transfer box drive chain to shake, resulting in the noise.
Action: On a customer concern basis only regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the transmission control module software.

It says under manual gear 3 only, but it could be your problem.

Post #5938721st May 2006 12:17 pm
Steve55

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Leigh / Gareth,
Thanks for your responses. The noise actual is like a "dry bearing" scraping noise but it happens with or without power on, light or ortherwise.
I have go out now and fill up with fuel and will try the 1 mtr high wall test!
The Disco is going into have the park brake squeaking fixed on 26th May and will refer to bulletin LA307-001 and let you know the outcome ..... good news is though, the service adviser owns two LR and can be seen at various shows. Makes a good change to have these guys owning LR as well. Dealer: Stratstone Solihull.
 Discovery 3 SE Auto Zambezi Silver
Black Leather Seats
Build Date: 12th April 2005 23:40
Leave Site: 14th April 2005 04:16
Source: Land Rover Lode Lane
Reg: 1st July 05 

Post #5939821st May 2006 1:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tricky

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi

I had exactly the same noise appear on my D3 about 6 months ago. I thought I was going mad because nobody else seemed to be able to hear it.

The dealer wrote it off as tyre noise, but over a further 4000 miles it turned into a very noticable drone that seemed to come from the front left side of the car.

After a long debate with the service manager I persuaded him to take it down the A1 with chassis ears attached to various parts of the underside of the car. Upshot was that the transfer box had developed a fault and was replaced under warranty. It's been fine since.

Hope that helps.

Post #5990924th May 2006 12:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >