Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Navigation Voice Output
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
What side does your Navigation Voice speak out off?
Drivers Side
89%
 89%  [26]
Both Sides
10%
 10%  [3]
Total Votes: 29

Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Navigation Voice Output

I've had an on going problem with my SatNav for a while now, it goes all silent on me Shocked Basically when giving directions 50% of the time it mutes the radio but doesn't actually say anything or starts half way through a sentence. Works fine the rest of the time and when it is in 'quiet mode' pressing the directions button repeats what I missed the first time perfectly

It's been into the dealer several times for them to have a look at it, they've tried various software downloads that haven't helped so yesterday it went in again and they replaced the amp. Great, problem fixed, SatNav Lady speaks to me all the time now Very Happy But.... only out of the drivers door speaker and with a slightly deeper resonating voice Sad Before the upgrade her guiding tones came out of both sides and sounded much better Confused

So, I went back to the dealer today and spent half an hour with one of their tech guys, I showed him the issue and then we tried a fairly new RRS and a D3 slightly older than mine to see how they compared - both only came out of one side Confused He seemed to think they we're all like that but mine clearly wasn't on it's old amp, I've asked him to contact LR for the definitive story. Can't find anything on GTR yet that helps so hopefully he'll get a response from LR soon.

I think I'm going back tomorrow to ask for my old amp back, I might get the silent treatment sometimes but at least when she does speak it sounds a 100% better, her new voice is pretty terrible.

Anyway... Can those of you with LR SatNav fitted please respond to the poll so I can see if I was just lucky before with audio from both sides. I'm talking about the Navigation Voice (the one that gives the actual directions) not the Voice Command Voice (that's the one that says sorry when she can't understand what you're saying and tells you how things work). VCV still works fine and sounds great, NV used to sound like that too Crying or Very sad

Cheers
Si
 The End  
Post #5758911th May 2006 8:24 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

mine only comes from one side - seems better that way to me.... can be a bit unnerving when 'evil 300 yard woman' kicks in though... think the point is that whatever audio was playing is continued by the other speakers at a lower level whilst the sat-nav kicks in

Post #5760211th May 2006 8:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

When mine came out of both sides music still played in the background at a quiter level. I can put up with it not coming out of both sides but the quality of the NV output now is crap enough to be annoying

Does your VCV come out of both sides?
 The End  
Post #5760511th May 2006 8:45 pm
Jamie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

i get it only at a certain distance to the turning (cant remember what it is but will report back). it all of a sudden appears that the sat nav lady's voice has broken! then all returns to normal.
 Discovery 3 - TDV6 SE - Bonnati Grey
Defender 90 - 300 Tdi County - Epsom Green 

Post #5761111th May 2006 9:09 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

VCV? WTF?
all voice interaction only comes from the drivers door speakers, with current audio output attenuated on the other speakers

Post #5761711th May 2006 9:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is drivers front speaker. She sounds gorgeous Laughing I really want to meet her Wink

Post #5761911th May 2006 9:35 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Mine comes from the front passenger seat. And she goes on and on and on and on...... And you can't turn the volume down..... And she follows me inside when I get home....... Big Cry
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #5762111th May 2006 9:42 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

VCV = Voice Command Voice

There's actually Info, Navigation and Voice Command voices!
Never really worked out what Info is but Navigation is the one that actually tells you where to go (don't DG! Wink ) and Voice Command is the one that (funnily enough) responds to your voice commands.

Until the amp swap they all (with the exception of evil 300 yard woman) sounded about the same, now VC (Vicky?) sounds as great as ever out of both sides (yes I want to meet her too Gareth) but Nav sounds crap just out of one side. It's not so much the one side thing it's the quality of the audio that's the real problem.

TSB LA415-003 says "Vehicle has Harman Kardon Hi-line in-car entertainment (ICE) and customer is complaining of poor or weak sound with too much bass" (which pretty much describes Navs new one sided voice) to which the possible causes are "Possible wrong amplifier installed" and if the right one is installed (it is, I just checked) then it's "No equalization (EQ) function file in the amplifier". So it looks like another trip to the dealer tomorrow to a. get back my old amp before they dispose of it and b. see if my new amp has an EQ file loaded
 The End  
Post #5762811th May 2006 10:07 pm
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a problem as well, with the missing Voice Guidance, although unfortunately pressing the 'Voice Guidance' softkey just repeats the same blank space.

I believe my dealer is going to replace the headunit?

Post #5762911th May 2006 10:10 pm
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Like others have said, Nav comes out of the Driver's door with the music in all the other speakers but at a lowered level, and the Voice Recognition mutes all music and speaks back on both front channels.

Post #5767011th May 2006 11:51 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Oops, voted both sides but actually voice is only from drivers door. Voted from memory as had swithched "her" off after couple of days as he was annoying me.

Sorrrrrreeeeeeeeeee! Crying or Very sad

Does anyone else have a name for her? My palm top sat nav voice is Suzie but I still have to name this voice. Embarassed

Post #5769512th May 2006 7:34 am
jkp

Scotland 

Drivers side only with voice levels adjusted via the stereo. Either by entering into the headunit menu, or adjusting the volume when she is speaking.

My phone kit mutes all speakers with voice coming out the front two.

Post #5773212th May 2006 11:02 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Update: SatNav now works fine, went back to the dealer and they did another infotainment software download (I think, I've got to pop in there later so I'll check). Voice still only comes out of the drivers side, which I believe is now the norm and only early amps put it out of both, but now Nav Vicky sounds as sweet as ever and Evil 300 Yards Woman is back to her scary self Very Happy
 The End  
Post #6110330th May 2006 11:12 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Still trying to find a name for mine, PDA sat nav still Suzie & nothing else seems as good.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Very Happy

Derek

Post #6110430th May 2006 11:18 am
chippypip

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

One annoying point I've noticed is you can have the voice louder when the stereo is on, but when its off the voice is quieter.

If you use the volume controls either on the wheel or the head unit you can't turn it loud enough especially when there's kids in the back. It reverts to a set volume too, it doesn't keep it at the volume you left it at! weird Rolling Eyes

A shame Land Rover assume you have the stereo on all the time, I like to hear the engine now and again.

Post #6110930th May 2006 12:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >