Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Wll D3 shocks fit a D4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Wll D3 shocks fit a D4?

Having just taken delivery of a D4, I've found the ride much harsher (esp the front) than what I recall a D3 was like during a test drive 18 months ago. I wont do anything for a couple of months when I hope a bull-bar will be available which will add some weight and the shocks may have softened a little, but can anyone confirm that the shock mountings for the D3 are the same as the D4? My wife has a back injury and whilst the ride is very good on most surfaces, its still harsh enough on rough sections to want to make it better. Even without considering my wife's injury, I don't like feeling corrugations on sealed surfaces.

Post #56874322nd Dec 2009 2:59 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

If the D3 you test-drove had 17" or 18" rims, you'd notice the difference moving up to 19" rims. They tend to make the ride a little firmer. I think the shocks are different in the D4, but visually they look identical to the D3. Hopefully someone else can answer with a little more authority.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #56874522nd Dec 2009 3:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

First off I do not know if the top and bottom fittings are exactly the same on the D3 and D4 shock absorbers. Whilst I sympathise with your needs to have the utmost smooth ride, GraemeS, I did read that the shocks were uprated in accordance with the revised suspension settings.

What this means is that even if they do have the same fittings there might be an issue of altered performance characteristics due to the damping rate being changed. There may be warranty or legality issues by changing to a shock that was not designed for the model. (Interestingly, Bilstein have released a damper for the D3 that comes closer in performance description to the one fitted on the D4. It supposedly smoothes out some of the offroad ride with a small loss of onroad smoothness.) Added closing bracket - pedantic or what?

By looking at the problem in a different way you might like to try quality sheepskin covers (not the thin kind) and see if that can reduce the immediate effect that your wife experiences with her back injury.

HTH, Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Last edited by LeighW on 23rd Dec 2009 11:12 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #56875022nd Dec 2009 3:46 am
GraemeS

The D3 we drove was fitted with 18" rims and the sole purpose of the drive was to feel how it rode over pot-holes and rough patches.

I found the D4's tyres were at 40 psi after having been sitting around all afternoon and even though the weather was quite warm (36C), the tyres were obviously over-inflated. I'll find out how it goes with lower pressures when it gets registered in a week's time.

Post #56933123rd Dec 2009 9:58 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Shockers

Graeme,

I haven't driven a D4 so can't make coment there, but can say that tyres make a huge difference. The BFG's I'm running with 65 series profile are much less harsh than the standard 60 (x 18) series profile - even though they are At's and have stiffer side walls. Similarly pressures will impact.
Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #57073628th Dec 2009 7:41 am
GraemeS

Hi Martin,
That's good to know since those tyres are at the top of my list if I can get some 18" to fit. I thought they might be just as bad as the 19s for ride comfort but obviously not.

Post #57074928th Dec 2009 9:41 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Shockers

Hi Graeme.

Given the relationship of tyre profile to ride comfort (all other things being equal) I would suspect the D4 running on 55 series to ride slightly harsher than a D3 on standard 60 series. Obviously shocker calibration will have a majoer impact here as well. My previous 4WD was an NM Pajero (independent suspension) on which I also ran BFG's. I raised the suspension approx 60mm and had Tough Dog big bore shocks fitted. These shocks had quite different compression and rebound rates than standard and gave significantly smoother ride, (particularly on dirt) with a slight trade-off of more body movement on windy roads.

I'm very happy w the BFG's on the Disco to date. Have covered 40,00K's and probably around 50% worn.

Cheers.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #57078028th Dec 2009 12:02 pm
GraemeS

I really need to know if D3 shocks will fit a D4 as the ride leaves my wife in agony, and that's without straying from sealed roads. The ride gets worse as the shocks warm-up and I think the ride is horrible for such a heavy vehicle.

Is anyone able to confirm that the large and small O-rings for the air spring are the same part numbers D3 & D4, and perhaps whether the bolts for the bottom eyes are the same part number? If they are, I'll probably take a punt and order a set as this vehicle is not good to us the way it is.

Thanks

Post #6144264th Mar 2010 2:11 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I am sure there was a post on here somewhere where someone complained to the dealer about the hard ride and they changed the front ARB for a D3 one which helped a lot.

Post #6146034th Mar 2010 6:03 pm
GraemeS

That was probably my post as I changed mine. It stopped the front of the vehicle from following the wheels into depressions although the rear needs changing too now.

Post #6147594th Mar 2010 9:04 pm
GraemeS

I've ordered a set of 2009 D3 shocks so am hoping they will fit. I'll find out soon enough.

Post #6988681st Oct 2010 12:26 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Will be good to find out as I'd quite like to go the other way for a slightly firmer ride Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #6988691st Oct 2010 12:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GraemeS

MY09 D3 front shocks DO fit the D4. The D3's casing is 4mm shorter so allow slightly more bump-stop clearance and the D3's air-spring seat is 4mm lower so perhaps provide slightly firmer ride due to the bags being slightly more extended. The air-spring seat position cannot affect vehicle ride height.

Ride difference will be revealed today. Hopefully the D3's will be more supple and wont be like the D4's that stiffen-up considerably as soon as they warm-up a little.

Info on the rear fitment later.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #71693816th Nov 2010 9:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >