DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fitting front and Rear Lamp Guards....A Story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jkp

Scotland 
Fitting front and Rear Lamp Guards....A Story

Fronts

Removal of front grill and lights are just as is stated in the manual. My only problem was releasing the outward orientated clips for the lights. With much phaffing about and being gentle (not my strong point) I grabbed it with a pair of pliers and gave it a measured tug.. Evil or Very Mad

Instructions from then are very simple to follow.. Fit new plastic plugs, locate bracket and secure, refit lights, attach guard...

Make sure everything is clean, refit grill ensuring u-clips are help in place to fully secure the the guard...

Rears

Again very simple to do once you read the instructions. I was that carried away with doing the fronts in about 30minutes, I stripped the back end only to read the instructions, thinking **** and having to rebuild it. Big Cry

Only worrying time came when you have to line up the brackets to mark and drill. Mock assemble once, test fit twice, measure four times and drill once Laughing And I managed it...

Nearside took me about 45minutes to complete with the offside around 15minutes.

Points of concern were locating and securing the nuts that plug the 7mm holes. I had to gently coax them in ...with a hammer...albeit very gently. 7mm still leaves a good interference fit. Once reassembling, leave all the bolts finger tight until it is squared and true, then tighten to get the finished article..

I know this may be a simplton explanation and others are more adventurous, but I gleened a lot from this forum and it gave me the confidence to do this, so hopefully someone will also gain a bit of confidence and save fitting costs with this numpty guide of the issues I had.

I only wish I had one bit of advice...

When do you ensure that you have connected the light fittings back together...no, not when you rebuild it, but when your sitting down having a well earned brew, admiring your handy work out the window.....b*****ks!! Thud Rolling with laughter

Post #570038th May 2006 8:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Nice job JKP Thumbs Up

I might have a go meself !
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #570248th May 2006 9:08 pm
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
removing headlamps

Having found that the clips holding the headlamps in were very hard to pull out by hand , I smeared them with vaseline and they are easily removable without the need for pliers etc. They havent fell out of there own accord yet either ! I have only done this because I havent mastered playing with the little toggles for R/H to L/H dip !!! without removing the lamps. Failed my gynaelogical course !
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #570979th May 2006 8:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had problems fixing the rear lamp guard bracket to the bodywork. I drilled the 7mm holes, but the small push-in metal threaded items just kept turning in the holes, so I couldn't fix the bracket in tight. I assumed these metal threaded items collapsed under pressure (like a pop rivet) to fix themselves, but I was unable to make them do this. Also the small bolts were too short to do this.
Therefore, by metal brackets are also held in place with clear silicone sealant!!!
 Matt  
Post #571079th May 2006 10:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >