Ground Anchor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Ground Anchor

This weekend we tested the self made ground anchor
Test ok, but considering to take longer bars to enter the ground

In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #5484125th Apr 2006 2:46 pm
angrd020

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Looks good. Very Happy

ALR
 2005 Tonga Green Land Rover LR3(Yes I wheel it!!!)
2002 Shale Green Jeep WranglerX(Yes I wheel it!!!)
1994 Red Jeep Cherokee (Use it as a spare vehicle)

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! 

Post #5484825th Apr 2006 3:45 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Ground Anchor

Unnecessary Quote removed

Yes looks very compact, This would be a very usefull peice of kit if it works well. did you measure the loading on it before it moved ?
How did you test it ?

Post #5554729th Apr 2006 9:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Penguin - Fantastic pictures......forgive me...I don't know a great deal about winch's as yet but Christ this looks as though it would disembowel you at 20 paces. How safe is it under stress ??
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5556729th Apr 2006 11:02 pm
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

first testing has been done in sand.
First time I had the park-break on, and did not completley entered the pins in the ground.

D3 moved for a couple of cm's, and then the anchor moved up, and tried to pull out the pins. (Stopped the winch before this happend)

2nd test, pins all the way down, winch the D3 without parkbrake and slightly up-hill.

Nothing moved.

Next Weekend we go play in France (Marcanterra)
(http://www.m-release.com/phpwebalbum/index.php?path=/4x4/LandRover/Defender/Marcanterra_09_2003/&page=1)
Where I'll test after digging the D3 stuck Wink

Report wil follow
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #5558930th Apr 2006 8:25 am
Hodgesaargh

the one I made had 6 pins 20mm diameter that go 600mm into the ground, I used the same grade of steel but welded an eye on top so when hit with a hammer it does not bend the top over more.
one member here has one of mine and hopefully will report on its use later

Post #564685th May 2006 6:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Ground Anchor

Hodgesaargh wrote:
the one I made had 6 pins 20mm diameter that go 600mm into the ground, I used the same grade of steel but welded an eye on top so when hit with a hammer it does not bend the top over more.
one member here has one of mine and hopefully will report on its use later

What about some Pic's ??
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #564955th May 2006 9:30 am
Hodgesaargh

pix and full specs were posted some time ago of both the spade type and rail / pin and one regular here has a rail and pin anchor.
Rail and Pin Type Ground Anchor for winching, recovery, off road suitable for off roading as well as recovery work rail and pin anchors work in almost any ground conditions from dry sand to rock hard stuff,
they take longer to deploy than spade types and take up less space
comprises of 6 pins of SJ 355 high tensile steel bar which can penetrate the ground by up to 64cm ( 25" ) with an eye on top to aid removal using the section of pipe supplied and two rails of 6mm thick steel with a length of 91.5cm ( 3' ).
the finish is galvanised for long life. the weight is aprox 18KG without packaging so collection is preferable or postage will be £14 for parcelforce 48 ( if paying by paypal it will have to be sent by special delivery at extra cost to comply with their rules ).

Spade Type Ground Anchor for winching, recovery, off road A very heavy duty folding anchor suitable for off roaders, fast and easy to deploy and takes down into two compact pieces for stowage. these are mainly suitable for conditions of soft ground ( which is where you are most likley to get stuck ). the spike to aid starting is made from 20mm diameter SJ 355 high tensile steel with a forged point on it, the spade is 5mm thick and 33cm wide by 38cm deep when folded the spade part is 57cm long, 33cm wide and 27cm high and the top bar is 122 cm long and 4cm by 7cm. sizes in inches are as follows spade folded 22.5" long including spike, 13" wide and 10.6" high, top bar is 48" long and about 1.5" by 2.75" the finish is galvanised for long life the weight is aprox 20KG without packaging so collection is preferable or postage will be £14 for parcelforce 48 ( if paying by paypal it will have to be sent by special delivery at extra cost to comply with their rules ).

Post #565535th May 2006 7:01 pm
Hodgesaargh

in case anyone is interested I will be working on a smaller lighter spade suitable for winching competitions soon but it will not be fully folding.
any questions just mail me

Post #6118830th May 2006 6:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >