Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Compressors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Compressors

My D3 showed a suspension fault last week and is now awaiting a new compressor. Otherwise it is fine. How do LR know it needs a compressor and that it is not just a computer glitch?
Thanks, BCP

Post #5458323rd Apr 2006 10:04 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Excellent question! In the same way that some dealers will tell you that a seat rattle needs a new seat or mounting frame, when it only needs a little elbow power to tighten some fixings, they will also tell you that you need a new compressor when you get a suspension failure.

A great many compressors have been replaced and owners then get repetitive faults.

It is a known soft spot for certain vehicles, but is used widely as an excuse for a failure. You may be lucky, and that may be the answer, then again it may not............

Post #5459123rd Apr 2006 10:55 pm
Ken

Can only advise in my situation, but it appears that a software failure (message to compressor failed to tell it to turn off) led to the compressor failing as it was running continuously so they seem to go hand in hand. Totally agree thou its just stupid to replace the compressor and not sort out the software as it will happen again. Its of course doesn’t help when LRA wipe the codes without taking any form of note of the fault codes

Post #5461924th Apr 2006 6:46 am
Pelyma

England 

There has been 4 different types of compressor, the latest one was released early January. From my knowledge of these failures the dealers have to follow a set path by LR which results in the Compressor replacement action. My first car failed at 10K and again at 20K, my parents at 3.5K and again at 7K.

It does amaze me that these are so problematical with EAS in all LRs, RRs suffer with it, the P38 suffered and the D2. Its not like its new technology. Does anyone know of the latest one failing in any cars?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #5462624th Apr 2006 8:36 am
Jamo

Australia 

I got the January compressor fitted after my previous one ceased functioning altogether. The original ones were prone to complete failure and one of the others can develop a sticking exhaust valve.

I've not had any problems with the latest one, other than the software seems to have been modified so that it doesn't work as hard. You only get 1.5cycles before it says "raising slowly', whereas the original one ( when it was working) would do 3 cycles.

I'm still going to look ito fitting a valve to the air tank so that I can attached my portable compressor to it in an emergency, if the cars compressor fails.

Funny thing was, the car didn't know that the compressor had failed! it still kept saying 'raising slowly' even thought the compressor wasn't coming on and the suspension wasn't going anywhere!.

Now I just waiting for the day when I can't get out of the car and the voice command says "I'm afraid I can't do that..."
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5464324th Apr 2006 11:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

i am waiting for my compressor to appear from "back order" and be replaced at the 15k service on Friday. Since i had the suspension fault message (fully loaded and after a couple of cylces from normal to access level) the car feels much more bouncy, as though the dampers are shot and the D3 fart has gone away when leaving the vehicle parked.
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #5466124th Apr 2006 1:50 pm
BCP

Well, it's back from LR. No compressor required just a software update. Interestingly picked up and delivered by the dealer but with an average mpg of 20.8. I can only assume it came home at 100mph. Had 28.9mpg showing before. It also has a new large stone chip on the front. Alas, v.v. annoying but.......

BP

Post #5530428th Apr 2006 3:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

To update the software they would have had to disconnect the battery, this clears the average figures.

Post #5531528th Apr 2006 5:00 pm
Ken

Mines back not convinced its fix thou (1.5 cycles protection is there def) Hows that going to be off road I'll find out tomorrow Confused

Post #5532028th Apr 2006 5:50 pm
BCP

It was the 20.8mpg that worried me. I've never had this in my life (even at 85mph) that's the worry. It's 25 miles of 70mph dual carriageway between me and LR.
BP

Post #5532328th Apr 2006 6:41 pm
dazadd

England 

My D3 deceided to give me compressor failure this morning just before we go down to Cornwall tommorrow!!!. But with alot of help from Bill and the team at Wooburn Green Land Rover the car was back on the road by 5pm the same day with a new compressor fitted and working. Stratstone at Wooburn Green do seem to go that extra mile to help customers and i am tonight one happy customer.

Post #5532728th Apr 2006 7:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >