Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

TDv6 Fuel economy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 
TDv6 Fuel economy

I have just returned from a nice Saturday drive from Solihull to stirling in my TDv6 RRS. The engine is bog standard (except it is missing the fuel bruning preheater) and it isn't "turbchipped" (yet!) and by driving like a boring thing and sticking to all the speed limits on the M42,M6,M74, M73, A8, M9 and A811 managed to cover the 329 miles between Solihuill and home at an average speed of 62.3mph and at an average fuel consumption of 33.2mpg. I used the cruise control for the entire journey except when I pulled off the M'way twice for driver refreshments and comfort! The car was also lightly loaded and there were no passangers.

At one stage between Birmingham and Manchester the TC was showing 34.9mpg after having run from Soilhull to J13 on the M6 at speeds between 40 and 50 due to Specs monitored speed limits after an overnight accident where an articulated wagon had gone off the carrigeway between J8 &9 and that had totally closed the southbound side and 2 northbound lanes for most of the night. but by the time I passed the northlanes had been cleared. It's the best mpg I have ever achieved. My Tdv6 is now 10 months old and has 9300 miles on it. There has been a marked improvement in the fuel economy since the ECU was reprogrammed at 8000 miles when the best I achieved was just over 30mpg.

Just shows that being a boring old fart and not driving like a mad thing and flooring the loud pedal or stamping on the brakes it is possible to get good fuel mile-age out of a 2.6 tonne brick!
Pictures of the trip computer display are here
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2161

Post #5440322nd Apr 2006 3:41 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds about right.
I did a 340 mile trip on Easter Monday in the D3 - 5 up with full boot- and got 31.5mpg @ av speed of 62mph.
Travelled from W Sussex up A24, M25, M1, M6, thro lanes to Chester, then A55 to Caernarfon then lanes to Abersoch. Mixed motoring, with a couple of lengthy 40mph limits on the motorways and up n down the gears on the A roads.
I would suspect that your better consumption is down to a combination of:
1. more streamlined shape
2. lower kerb weight and loading of your RRS

Still a good demonstration of how the D3 or RRS can be a sensible wallet- friendly long distance transport
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #5479525th Apr 2006 8:12 am
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That's impressive fuel economy!

I did a 500 mile round trip on Friday, and averaged 25mpg, which I thought was quite good!
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #5479825th Apr 2006 8:36 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Fuel

I came back from Balmoral on Easter Sunday 345 m avr 31.5 .
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #5481225th Apr 2006 10:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MG
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have covered just over 6000 miles and recently I have been getting 23-24 mpg around town!!!

This is driving it as gently as one can, in traffic and mainly 2nd and 3rd gear....

She will do better than 30 on a run although we haven't gone on any long distances lately.

We are off to Dorset in a couple of weeks and that will give us a chance to check motorway cruising gas miles!
 MG

HSE V6 Diesel
Buckingham Blue
Ebony Leather
Side Steps
Mini Fridge
Rosen A7 Roof-mount DVD player
Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
Removable Towbar and Elecs
Pure Highway DAB
Portable Fridge 

Post #5481925th Apr 2006 11:25 am