DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

BAD ROAD HANDLING?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pers1

BAD ROAD HANDLING?

I`m a bit conserned about the road handling
I have a TdV6 HSE automatic, it leans itself OUT of every turn so my dog
has to fly around in the back, my disco 2 2003 modell this was not a problem !
I`ve been driving it in a speed of 150Km/t and it dosen`t seem to lower itself.
When i park it in the garage the airsuspension lower itself!

please advice

perS Mad

Post #31514th May 2005 10:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This is a big vehicle - heavy and tall. Surely you can't expect Porsche handling. 150kmh is a rapid pace to be throwing around the D3. I drove mine at 90-100kmh down a road which had turns cautioned at 70kmh and I could comfortable corner at 80-90 kmh with 7 people and I thought the handling was superb considering the size and weight. None of my passengers told me they felt they were flying around in the back but then again I wasn't doing 150kmh Confused

Does the D3 actually lower itself at high speeds? I thought it had a highway setting, access setting and off-road setting only.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #31554th May 2005 12:58 pm
Pelyma

England 

If you want a fast 4X4 buy a RRS, it has extra corner enhancements ( a development of the ACE system in DS2) The DS3 IMHO handles excellently for what it is. I've had 100mph no problem (sorry officer Wink ), but I wouldn't try driving it normally like that and I wouldn't be cornering for certain. During the development they tested the car round the Nuremburing (sp?) there was a video on carspyshots and it was awesome the driver must have been fearless, you could hear the screeching miles off Shocked All in all Pers1 I think you are looking for the wrong things in this car, maybe a switch to RRS supercharged would be better and I'm sure your dealer will love you to bits Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #31614th May 2005 4:41 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Nuremburing = Nürburgring Wink

'twas a good video, will have to try and find it.

Martin

Post #31634th May 2005 4:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Pers1, the D3 has dynamic road holding which works with your ABS and the huge weights under the rear bumper, so if you enter a bend too quickly it will help you out and allow you to steer in a panic situation without your brakes locking up, no matter how hard you stamp on them: i.e DSC or EPS it is known as. That is why when off roading you disable DSC or you get no where. Re the car lowering automatically at speed, no the D3 will not do it or allow you to manually lower the car unless under a certain speed. Finally you say the car lowers itself in the garage. Do you mean without any comand from yourself, if so you may have a suspension problem as it should stay where you left it.

Post #31674th May 2005 5:45 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Martin,

'Test Track' video is on my site, I've not really got the bandwidth for everyone to view it off there but feel free to copy it off

Si

Post #31684th May 2005 5:46 pm
pers1

It´s a 2 part question

1: in speeds between 40 - 60 Km/h and in turns it handels worse than my old
Disco 2 HSE 2003 model!
The way a now this is my dog slides back and forth. She didn`t do this in the D2!
And one can feel that it "leans"in instead of out of longer turnes (60 km/h)

2. my dealer said it would lower it self in 90 Km/h so I drove it over 150 to test
if anything happen! Closed circut straight line!
When i stop it either lower front and rear or just it´s ass!

I have 20"rims with 295/40/R20 pirelli asymetrico!
I know that it´s heavyer than my old disco2, but still it should stiffen up with used in high speed or when cornering!

A cool / smart feature would have been when set in sport mod it would stiffen up!
I know that it`s maine target is the US and straight roads, but it`s no caddilac

RE: it lower it self:
When I park it lock it with the remote it`s like it`s been holding it`s breath an let`s it out and both rear and front lower it´s self some or just the rear!

PerS

Post #31694th May 2005 5:47 pm
DiscoMad

I have driven the disco II TD5 and Disco3 back to back on a test track and off-road (was part of one dealers launch back in November - excellent day) Some guys were trying to 'break' the car at speeds over 90 into bends. You just couldnt have done that with a discoII air suspension/ACE.

I can assure you that the disco 3 outclasses the Disco2 in every respect on the road IMHO. Off road they compare in capability, its just easier with teh Disco3.

Sorry that you may not agree with this statement but having driven both like that there was no comparison.

Post #31714th May 2005 5:55 pm
pers1

Hey Disco Mad
I had my old disco2 HSE with air/ace in my garage for 2 month after i recived my new
D3, so I used them both in that period:
On road wise to work with some longer cornering before getting in to Oslo city the
D2 november 2003 model with everything handel the cornering better !

Both my cars are 2 seat version, tax reasons in Norway, so is all flatt in the back!
My poor dog could stand, sitt or even sleep, but in D3 she has to grabb a hold on to something or she slides over to th opposit side.

That means in my book that the D3 leans more than my old D2!
It might be my car, but i doubt it!
The stablizator underneath the old D2 is sorely missed!

Post #31734th May 2005 6:33 pm
Raymond

BN

[/quote]Finally you say the car lowers itself in the garage. Do you mean without any comand from yourself, if so you may have a suspension problem as it should stay where you left it.

My car does this also.The dealer and the manual(page 203) call this access height. The car rises to normal driving height after starting the engine."normal height selected" appears in the info display. I understood this was a function of the air supension.

Raymond

Post #31744th May 2005 6:36 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You can select access height at any speed. If you drop below a certain speed within a minute, it will lower to access height. If you do not slow, it will disregard the command.

Its good, because you can select access height when approaching your house before you slow down, as you pull up it will lower. It is in the manual somewhere.

Of course, mine did lower to access height on the motorway once all by itself, and I nearly crashed, but that was a system error, and seems to have been fixed with a new wiring loom.

Pers1 - when I lock mine, it does let off a little air. It also sometimes gives a little hiss when I unlock it.

I am still not totally happy with my suspension, it is leaning a little to the left now.

The car handles great, I had a D2 V8 with ACE, and yes it does lean in the bends a bit more than the D2, but at least it sticks to the road, and I am not going to end up in the nearest field at the slightest mid corner bump!

Post #31764th May 2005 8:01 pm
pers1

In the info display it says standard not aceess or offroad.
Most times the rare lower it self after a have parked it an used the romote key to lock up. it let`s some air out!
Not nearly as low as acces hight tough!

Check youre car and see if it dose the same!

Post #31784th May 2005 8:40 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think that video is on the AutoExpress web site still... sounds great too. Must have been the V8

-s

Post #31804th May 2005 9:13 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The air suspension on the vehicle self levels.

When you stop, open a door to get out (along with hoards of children, dogs and a wife with hoards of shopping) and shut the doors, the car will automatically relevel itself. With all this bulk removed from the vehicle, it will drop and air will be expelled from the air springs......hence the noise and movement when you lock the vehicle. It is nothing unusual.

Post #31834th May 2005 9:28 pm
BN

England 

pers1, it sounds to me that you have a suspension problem. The vehicle should remain at the height you left it at. The air tank under the car, can only hold a small amount of air and is backed up by a compressor. If you have a leak in the system, the vehicle will go down and act in the ways you describe. Another problem with air is if during cold weather moisture has got into the air system, it can freeze and cause moisture problems. That is why large trucks have a 'dryer' and moisture bleed valves to stop this. I would get the dealer to check out the pressures and system for leaks and water. As far as road handling goes, the D3 is phenomnal on the tyres sold with the car for a large 4x4, but not on proper 4x4 off road tyres, it then becomes a different animal.

Post #31844th May 2005 9:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >