Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Cheap & Cheerful PMRs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

About £100 EACH so yes, you pays your money and takes yer choice...... Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5142091st Sep 2009 9:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I was converted Wink

Had a cheap set for the kids at the park etc. However a good set was worth it for me as I use them car to car or car to service crew on rallies (or did).

Anyway first time out with the Entel in the lakes on an event, slipped over and dropped it in a deepish puddle. luckily I can say they are indeed waterproof Shocked

At Wilderness gathering also had it in the shower with me - as some know that was a good move Whistle
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #5142131st Sep 2009 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

For the sake of clarity, I have to tell you that (unless you have the newer units) your HT446 has been discontinued and superseded by the HT446L. It actually makes the original radio look like an Argos unit in terms of build quality but the 'retail' price is way out of most peoples budget (over £200). Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm not even going to try to sell these on here as they are beyond the needs of all but the determined commercial user.

Furthermore, the Motorola XTN has been replaced by the XTNiD which has seen a 40% price increase over the original. Kenwood have just replaced their ProTalk with a newer (more expensive) model. Icom have also gone down the (more expensive) digital PMR radio route. The world moves on I'm afraid........ Luddites of the world unite!! Laughing
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #5143552nd Sep 2009 11:06 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

JMC wrote:
the Motorola XTN has been replaced by the XTNiD which has seen a 40% price increase over the original.

£115 isn't that bad is it ? Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5143582nd Sep 2009 11:11 am
JMC

Scotland 

DG - When I talk about prices I am only dealing with 'retail prices' in public and the XTNiD is £150+vat.

I'm sure it can be found for less....... Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #5143632nd Sep 2009 11:17 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

soory John I thought that was the public price ....are you saying you can do them for less than £115 Whistle Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5143682nd Sep 2009 11:21 am
JMC

Scotland 

There are two new models from Motorola to replace the original XTN. They are the XTNi & XTNiD. The 'D' stands for 'Display' as the XTNi doesn't have a screen and I therefore don't consider it to be a replacement for the original XTN which had the LCD.

The retail prices are:

XTNi @ £140+vat
XTNiD @ £150+vat

I could just about do the XTNi for under £115 including VAT without making a loss, but not the XTNiD. I could not make a business out of such a deal. I'm sure you can do the maths..... Wink

Bear in mind that there will always be someone offering silly prices on any of these types of goods. Problem is that you only think you are getting what you pay for.

I get bombarded with e-mails from abroad offering me commercial Motorola radios (GP340s etc) for about HALF the cost price. When the small print is investigated, you see that these units do NOT have Motorola serial numbers. Truth is that they are copies from China - cheap internals built into a genuine case.

Imagine being offered a brand new D3 D4 HSE for £25k...... Only to get home, open the bonnet and see a Suzuki SJ410 engine Shocked Shocked Shocked

Then, you go back to the dealer and find that this was stated on the order form in very small print. You don't have a leg to stand on.

There will ALWAYS be someone offering something cheaper than everyone else and there will ALWAYS be a buyer who insists that they have bought a real bargain. Rolling Eyes
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #5143732nd Sep 2009 11:35 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

PhilHunt; I bet you never thought that such a helpful initial post would bring such a response Rolling with laughter

The advice peppered through the topic is sound though; if you want something that will work most of the time but it won't matter when it doesn't, then go cheap. If you want to get something you can rely on to do a top job at the maximum possible distances, or to still work after being dropped in a puddle (or in BogBlasters case, worse Laughing ) ; talk to JMC. You won't find a more knowledgeable and helpful chap to do business with and he's a wizard at getting those prices down Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5143972nd Sep 2009 12:30 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

philhunt wrote:
Let us know how you get on with them Andy. Like a lot of LIDL stuff, they appear every now and then so if someone misses them this time they're likely to be back on their shelves sooner or later.....

OK so they finally died. Well they still "work" but not much use for communicating Wink

What's the current state of the art at the expensive end of the spectrum?
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #11284938th Jul 2013 4:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >