Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

grating noise - on reverse near full lock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
grating noise - on reverse near full lock

500 miles - first problem, hey why should I be left out. Rolling Eyes I have reversed 3-4 times now on near or full lock, as soon as I do I get a grating sound like she is dragging accoss the floor. Definately coming from the front, could be steering although I am not getting any vibration/feedback directly into the steering wheel. Had a look here for similar issues and then checked the PAS levels - looks OK to me - so anybody have a guess at what it is before I take my first trip down to the dealers ?
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #516282nd Apr 2006 12:06 pm
FlOwner

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Are you in acess mode in reverse. It was explained to me that in access mode the wheels rub against the wheel well I have notice this on all LR3 and I have driven about 8 (2 I've owned and 6 loaners)

Post #516492nd Apr 2006 2:12 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You could try greasing the lock stops. They get dirty and dry and can creak on full lock. Grease area that my finger is pointing at in this photo. You don't need to jack or take the wheel off, you should see these on the forward side of each lower suspension swivel.

Post #516502nd Apr 2006 2:18 pm
SN

I got something like this on Thursday afternoon.

I was in the Euston Station Underground Carpark to pick up SWMBO and the kids. Wasn't sure about the height so locked the D3 down to Access Height and reversed into a space without incident. After having picking up aforementioned peeps off train I gently drove out of the space and attempted to swing hard right out of the 'tight' spot - as soon as I dabbed the brakes got a horrendous grating noise!!! SWMBO thought I'd scraped the rear wheelarch against the concrete post next to the spot. Happened once more as I got out of the spot!!!

BTW - this is the first time I've driven over speedbumps (in the car park for godsake) locked in Access mode - car bounced around as if sat on balloons - horrendous!
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5366516th Apr 2006 8:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >