Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Central Aus. Lake Coongey, Simpson & Flinders
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3
Central Aus. Lake Coongey, Simpson & Flinders

Well just home from a great trip Very Happy Two D2s one D3 and my project 4wd.
5000km covered, lots of wonderfull places visited, lakes, desert landscapes, hills in the Flinders, Historic sheep and cattle stations, pubs with cold beer and two showers in two weeks Shocked
We have all eaten far too much, put on weight, Big Cry
Only a fiew problems, all the Disco"s had tire problems, one D2 had 4 punctures including one that was stuffed, getting it off the rim was a challange,the square sholdered safty bead is a pain but was acheived just before the bad languige was about to start. The others only had one puncture each. Tojo aka priject vechle had none. Rolling with laughter
A camper trailer lost a shackle bolt then 200km later broke a main leaf this was fixed with stuff we had and made it home ok Thumbs Up
This trip was the acid test to see if the project vechle would cut the mustard, it took everything we threw at it although it was a little slower than the Disco's. The others admitted they enjoyed this trip more than previous trips because we kept the pace down.
On fuel consumption tojo did exactly the same as my previous D3 Shocked but highway was up and off road was down but ended the same overall Very Happy
Now its time to do some more mods, better springs and shocks, did ok but could be better.
Shovel holder, relocate spair wheel, on board air reciver for compressor, extra fuel filter, and a water cooled intercooler to help the new and wery impressive turbo I fitted just before leaving. Oh well a 4wd is a never ending project, if it wasent it would be no fun. Whistle
I will have to wait for a teenager to come home from school to post some pics.
Cheers
Rob
 MY05 TDV6 SE, dirt colour, Now cremated !!!!!!!  
Post #49832222nd Jul 2009 6:50 am
Rob Bruce

Just put some pics im my gallery, worked it out my self Shocked

Cheers
Rob
Post #49834622nd Jul 2009 8:42 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
Glad you had a good trip Rob, I've been so busy in town the last couple of months that I've had no fun at all.

Interesting looking tow bar, how has it worked out?

All the best

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #49846122nd Jul 2009 1:44 pm
Rob Bruce

Ian, that was the bar on the old D3, it worked out very well, did a lot of towing of my off road traler and 16 foot machenery trailer.

Cheers
Rob
Post #49846822nd Jul 2009 1:50 pm
Tassierob

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like you had a great time.

We are thinking of doing a trip around the Flinders next year. Do you know what sort of tires the D3 was running?

I have a choice of 2...either AT2's or Mickey Thompson MTZ's and as I have never been out there before I would be really interested in your comments Thanks in advance Thumbs Up
 Life is short...get it dirty...as often as you can.
TDV6 SE, ARB Bar, Warn 9000lb winch,Kamar rear bar/tyre carrier/jerry can holder, IBS duel battery system,Safari Snorkel, Black Widow draw system, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 240XGT driving lights, Hemma GPS, Tyre Dog tyre monitor system, Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/17, Off Roving rock sliders, Hannibal Rooftop Tent, Open Sky awning. 

Post #49875022nd Jul 2009 11:58 pm
Rob Bruce

Rob,
The D3 had General Grabber at2, they went well but one puncture, sharp rock but could be fixed ok.
The D2s all sorts of old tires, not recomended! and had numerouse problems.
I was running Mickey Tompson MTZ and no problems, relitively quiet, good grip off road and handled the loose gravel execptionally. Thumbs Up
Your choice, depends on rims 17" or 18" and what is available.
In 18" General Grabber possibly only choice
In 17" Cooper STT or Mickey Tompson MTZ.
My experience with STT good but chip badley, MTZ no chiping.
STT possibly more KMs but marginal.
One comment the stronger tires with maximum ply rating and 3 ply reinforsed walls are the go Thumbs Up

Cheers
Rob
Post #49875523rd Jul 2009 1:04 am
Tassierob

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for your comments Rob. I already have a set of MTZ's 265 x 70 x 17 to handle the mud and rock down here and I am extremely happy with their performance Very Happy However having heard horror stories of how tires get chewed up in the Flinders I was concerned at how they may perform in that country and the sand of the Simpson.

Thanks to your experience it sounds like I will leave them on.

I would be interested to know what pressure you were running them at both in the sand and also rock and everyday dirt running Question

Cheers

Rob
 Life is short...get it dirty...as often as you can.
TDV6 SE, ARB Bar, Warn 9000lb winch,Kamar rear bar/tyre carrier/jerry can holder, IBS duel battery system,Safari Snorkel, Black Widow draw system, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 240XGT driving lights, Hemma GPS, Tyre Dog tyre monitor system, Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/17, Off Roving rock sliders, Hannibal Rooftop Tent, Open Sky awning. 

Post #49875623rd Jul 2009 1:32 am
Rob Bruce

Rob,
Tire preasure may be different with your size tire, mine are wider. 31 X 10-5 X 15
I ran in sand 18 psi front and 20 psi rear
highway 38 psi front and 40 psi rear
gravel loose rocky 26 front and 30 psi rear

This diference in front to rear may sound daft but I have my own way of setting it.
It goes like this; 1/ Select a flat hard serface
2/ set front preasure to desired preasure
3/ set the rear preasure to give the same footprint as the front, ie bulge in side wall is a good indercation.

This compensates for diferences in weight from front to rear and gives the tires the same roling diameter.
I have done this for ages and get no transmission wind up and the tires seem to wear wery evenly.

Back to the Disco , my last Simpson crossing in My D3 with very soft sand I ran 16 psi front and did the same routine for the rear, this was on Cooper STT.

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Rob
Post #49876823rd Jul 2009 7:24 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Rob, Sounds like you had a great time.
We had a group from the RRC just return from the Simpson and I will catch up with them mid Aug. There were a couple of D3's in the group so will be interesting to see what they were running, I know one had Cooper HT's prior to the trip but may have changed to something more aggressive for the trip.

My Cooper ATS have chipped and I dont think I will get anywhere near the 80K expected for the life of the tyre, but have not punctured offroad (touch wood) Shocked
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #49884323rd Jul 2009 10:45 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Rob,
Your advice on setting tyres pressures is right on (to get the same footprint) Thumbs Up . I tend to run a just a little softer on gravel to give the tyres (especially the rears) a little more flex. It hurts the the fuel consumption but saves on punctures.

DT
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #5025021st Aug 2009 1:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >