Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Opinions on stretching the service intervals please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
110CSW

United Kingdom 
Opinions on stretching the service intervals please

My D3 is coming up to four years old and 40k and but is now only doing about 6k pa. There is next to no urban driving and the car is never revved high until it is warmed up. The question is, can I stretch the service interval beyond one year or not? Many similar cars run to two years/20k between services and my D3 is getting a good check over once a year with its MOT. Additionall I keep a close eye on the tyres and brakes myself.

I'm thinking about servicing it at 18 months and 9k miles instead of 12 months and 6k miles. Any comments much appreciated.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #49472212th Jul 2009 10:43 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

If you are intending to keep the vehicle until it dies though old age then i guess it is your call.

If you ever want to sell it, not keeping to service schedule would seriously impact on the price you could ask and the saleability of it Confused

Personally I would stick to what LR recommend Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #49472512th Jul 2009 10:46 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Thanks. Will probably keep it to ten years/75k.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #49472712th Jul 2009 10:48 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

isn't there also something to do with long life oil versus normal? am sure mines not being serviced EVERY 12 months... i maybe and probably am wrong though Whistle
 one wife.......livid  
Post #49473012th Jul 2009 10:50 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Since moisture can get into fuel, oil, brake fluid, and other places, this can be a reason to increase the service frequency. Particularly in places like Scotland where usually wet (what's "usually wet" mean, ask us Aussies Laughing ) rust and corrosion can form in places where lube oil normally resides (like bearings). If there's any Sulphur in the lube oil (and even modern diesel fuel is 10-25 ppm sulphur which goes into the oil), when moisture is added it turns to sulphuric acid. Exception for a D3 is if it's well below freezing all the time then there's no internal corrosion when parked. I suspect that brake fluid, diff/trans fluids, and engine oils ought to be changed on the calendar schedule to minimise risk of internal corrosion. That said, price a new engine and just calculate what % chance of a catastrophic failure is needed to make delaying maintenance statistically more expensive than just having it done. I would think that you'd get a better $ savings by having fluids changed regularly by a non-steeler garage (make sure they use the correct fluids) and driving it hard every 1-2 weeks to warm up the engine and boil-off any condensed moisture in it.

I plan to keep my D3 until it dies of old age (or until I do) but want both of those to be as late as possible. Hence a preference for regular throttle exercise and preventative maintenance.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #49479213th Jul 2009 6:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >