Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

5W30 to 0W40 starting 2007?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
5W30 to 0W40 starting 2007?

Hi Folks,
I was just looking at the Castrol web site -checking out Edge 5W30 (on sale at the moment at Supercr@p for $44.95 for 5L), and noticed that they recommend 5W30 for all years of D3s. From 2007 on however, they say to only use 0W40. I have an MY07 which is fast approaching end of factory warranty (and corporate programme!) and was thinking of getting some Edge 5W30. It seems the Castrol TXT 5W30 which is usually billed is not available retail - and doubt it is any different to Edge!

Any ideas on why Castrol say to use 0W40 for MY07 and later?

Cheers,
Rob

Post #4922297th Jul 2009 11:11 am
jonesy63

FWIW, I just found the following on the Malaysian Castrol site:
"New Castrol EDGE Sport 0W-40 is suitable for Euro 4 or green engines fitted with or without diesel particulate filters."

I guess that means 0W-40 is recommended for MY07-on, as they had Euro 4 engines - but DPFs never arrived until later.

Post #4922467th Jul 2009 11:55 am
Hopperoo101

Australia 

Hi Jonesey,

FWIW, Dealer in Canberra said they use & recommend Shell Helix Ultra 5W30. I noticed in Supercheap that on the containers it specifically mentions "suitable for hi performance Turbo Diesels fitted with DPF"s. However, it's not on special & was approx $80 x 4 ltrs.

Dennis.

Post #4927458th Jul 2009 2:51 pm
bobk

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Anyone had a look at Penrite ENVIRO PLUS 0W40?? I used Penrite in my 3.0litre Patrol for 6 years and found all their products to be very good.

No idea of the cost of the ENVIRO.

cheers,
bobk
 bobk  
Post #49489213th Jul 2009 11:01 am
Hopperoo101

Australia 

Hi All,
Anyone had any experiences or feedback on comparison of quality / performance Castrol "Edge Sport" 5W30 and Nulon "Long Life" 5W30 oils.

Nulon promote they are Australian owned.........but are their products regarded as excellent quality and up to the job of prtecting these late model high performance turbo diesels?

Any feedback appreciated.

Dennis.

Post #5044406th Aug 2009 2:33 pm
jonesy63

Hey Dennis,
LR state in the manual (and on the oil filler cap!) to use Castrol 5W30 which meets their specs. The dealerships use Castrol 5W30 "Softec" - which you can't buy retail. I suspect it is pretty close to Castrol Edge Sport 5W30. The latter does meet the specs from LR.

Can't comment on Nulon oils.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #5046777th Aug 2009 1:39 am
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

So long as it meets the SAE specification, and the viscocity is in the spectrum for the ambient conditions, ( 0-40; 10w-50 etc), then the oil brand X will be as good as the oil brand Y. It really is all about meeting or exceeding the minimum API / SAE spec. The viscocity rating is all about how thin the oil is and how heavy it gets under various temperature conditions. A heavier grade, >40 weight, will be best in an Aussie summer, the lighter oils in cooler climes, with the 0-5W spec allowing quick flow of oil in cold conditions and a shorter warm up period.
"Oils 'aint Oils" is true, but any oil that meets the highest current SAE spec, and is multigraded to the conditions of use will be totally adequate.

Post #5046867th Aug 2009 5:30 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just wishing to second wopac5. If the oil meets the API/SAE specifications then it is suitable.

FWIW: I have used almost exclusively Castrol Edge Sport 5W30 as it meets the specifications for Land Rover. I have, however, had the oil changes at 6000 km instead of the 'standard' 12 000 km as I tow a 2.5 tonne caravan at least once a month.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #5047517th Aug 2009 10:02 am
TDV6

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

If Edge 0W40 is ok and as 5W30 is what is recommended for my 05 TDV6, would 5W40 be ok as I have seen this at Repco, providing it also meets the other specs?

Just looking for options.

Ryall

Post #5050458th Aug 2009 7:31 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

bobk wrote:
Anyone had a look at Penrite ENVIRO PLUS 0W40?? I used Penrite in my 3.0litre Patrol for 6 years and found all their products to be very good.

No idea of the cost of the ENVIRO.

cheers,
bobk

I just put this in mine, my trade price was about $65 per container.
Could be my imagination but the fuel economy seems better.
 Pete  
Post #50580911th Aug 2009 12:03 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The benefit of 0W40 is it provides a bit better initial lubricating when the engine is cold (think -30C or lower) and can reduce vapourisation losses when it is hot. That really does apply more for straight mineral oils than modern synthetics, which is what our D3s specify. Heavier mineral oils would often turn to wax when it gets really cold (ie, -30C) but lighter mineral oil, which has a lower wax point, would boil off when the engine or ambient warmed up. Modern synthetics have low waxing temperatures, and low pour-points (when the stuff starts to flow like cold honey), don't contain any light ends prone to vapour off when things are hot.

For a bit of background, Mobil1 0W20 (the first synthetic oil) was formulated for the Purdhoe Bay (north Alaska) pipeline construction, where it can get to -60, but also was used a lot in hot climates to minimise losses. Unless someone in Oz is living in an Arctic environment (ie, if you have a diesel you'd better have a pre-heater or it won't start) or you're suffering from high temp vapourisation (not leaks or passing seals) then the 5W30 should be just fine. I can't see the benefit of using anything different.

I have had oil changes at 4 different dealers (depending which state I was in at the time) and they used 5 different brands (one changed types I suspect due to getting cheaper bulk purchases) but they all met the SAE specs.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #50583711th Aug 2009 6:02 am
Boofrmb

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Hi all, have just had my D3 serviced up in Brissy at the Rover dealer. They are using Caltex Havoline oil in the motor, not sure if that's what they should be using..

Rob
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE in Zambezi Silver
1948 Series 1 SWB Soft Top in Standard green 

Post #50637912th Aug 2009 12:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Boofrmb wrote:
... They are using Caltex Havoline oil in the motor, not sure if that's what they should be using...

A quick check of Havoline oils on the net shows that their 5W-30 appears to meet the same standards as the Castrol 5W30 so all should be OK. Other writers have mentioned that if the oil meets (or exceeds) the specifications of the original manufacturer, then it is a suitable product.

For me, if it says use Castrol 5W30, then that is what I will feed her with.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #50674713th Aug 2009 11:13 am
John58

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Recently had my D3 serviced by LR Dealer in Darwin. They used Valvoline 15W40. Shocked When I queried this they said that is what the workshop manual recommends for this climate. They also sell Mitsubishi and Volvo - I wouldn't mind betting that the same oil goes into every car they service. Anyway, the old girl is still going strong and apparently suffering no ill effects despite a long and arduous trip down the Gibb River Road. Wink
 White S TDV6 auto. Air Suspension. Active Rear Diff. ARB bullbar. IPF spotlights. GME TX3440 UHF radio. Autosafe Cargo Barrier. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch. AT35 coupling. AORC Quantum van.  
Post #51288029th Aug 2009 4:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >