Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Just been TC'd !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mudplugger

England 
Just been TC'd !!

TURBOCHIP .. OK, so I'm a sceptic - especially when forking out £600+ for someone to plug a box into your car - push a few buttons and hand you an invoice...

BUT the proof is now sat in my drive - it works - and works REALLY well.

It's taken an excellent vehicle and made it exceptional. I reckon on a real world gain of 3mpg so far on an engine that's still tight (2500m) and better still, very good performance with a clear torque and power gain that - though I've not measured it subjectively - can really be felt when you drive the car.

The best bit is a re-mapped auto box - and this is the clever bit - the vehicle no longer 'hunts' for the right gear halfway round a favourite corner, and the awful sudden down change when pushing on is instead replaced by a band of torque that keeps you in gear and urges you up the road with some force..

So Chris - thanks for the answers to all my questions in a full and frank manner - made my mind up , almost entirely based on that initial relationship and your track record.

Alastair - thanks for interrupting your lentil soup to go to work on the TC'ing my 2006 D3 TDV6 HSE. It did exactly what you said it would do.

If anyone out there is wavering - and isn't sure if this is a good idea - my independent and highly conservative (medical training makes you risk averse) view is that you should just go and get your vehicle TC'd.

It's fantastic, and I'm a very happy chap.

Cheers,

Muddy
 From a two Land Rover household to one big FFRR...

Range Rover Vogue TDV8
Shogun SWB 4Work
Steyr M9094 Tractor

(Still a D3 fan though!) 

Post #4922322nd Mar 2006 1:51 am
gavmurray

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm thinking of getting this done. But I bet Turbochip would get more than double the number of D3 customers if they reduced the cost by 50%. The end result being they would make more money.

So how about it Turbochip. Slash the cost by 50% and see how many more D3 customers you get.

I'm going to post a survey and see what kind of response there is.
 Gavin.
06, D3 TDV6 HSE, Buck Blue 

Post #4926522nd Mar 2006 11:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

gavmurray wrote:
I'm thinking of getting this done. But I bet Turbochip would get more than double the number of D3 customers if they reduced the cost by 50%. The end result being they would make more money.

So how about it Turbochip. Slash the cost by 50% and see how many more D3 customers you get.

I think you'll find that the economics are a little different to the simplistic hypothesis you mention (unfortunately Crying or Very sad ).
I'm sure that a good portion of the price relates to fixed cost - time and travel for the poor installer, plus the associated admin, calls, invoicing etc. Whilst the price charged is designed to claw back the development costs of designing the unit, I would guess that halving the price would not give them much if any contribution to their development costs, and so they'd have to sell many times more units to break even.

A self- install kind of option would be nice, as it could cut out a lot of the overhead whilst still allowing TC to cover the development cost. I would expect that it would need a laptop with TestBook and cables though. [Now THAT would be something quite a few would be interested in!]
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #4928522nd Mar 2006 12:26 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Mudplugger,
You are the best type of advertisement! I was wondering about it too, but was wary about invalidating our warranty since the car is only 8 months old. The 26-27 mpg we get makes me wince occasionally but the fantastic ride takes the pain away. What did you do about your insurance?
Regards
Duncan

PS Where did you train?

Post #4932822nd Mar 2006 2:45 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I had mine done a few months ago and it had to go back to LR for warranty work (unrelated to TC) all I got from them was "boy that is quicker than most we drive" no other comments at all it will b e going back soon to have the software updates for HEVAC and PTI I hope they dont Censored up the TC map.

I always had a grin because of driving such a good car but now it is wider and I get more MPG

Post #4937222nd Mar 2006 4:52 pm
gavmurray

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Guessing that TC will put the map back for you free of charge? This is something I got them to clarify in the event that LR had to reapply their map.
 Gavin.
06, D3 TDV6 HSE, Buck Blue 

Post #4941122nd Mar 2006 7:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mudplugger

England 

gavmurray wrote:

OK so it's not cheap - but this is a one off cost - TC have re-mapped vehicles that have been overwritten (FOC) and on that basis I felt I was getting a reasonable deal given that on an average mileage (15000 p/a) it will pay back at current UK diesel prices at about £400 a year. (assuming 4mpg better with TC)
So after about 18 months, the fuel saving pays for all the fun and the 'better' vehicle.

That was my logic..

Muddy.

P.S. Just FYI the way I sketched this out was:

NO TC With TC
15000------miles p.a------15000
23------mpg------27
0.92------p/l------0.92
4.546------Convert------4.546
£4.18------£/Gallon------£4.18
652------Gallons------556
£2,727------Cost------£2,323

Saving £404

This was supposed to be in columns but didn't work...!

Range Rover Vogue TDV8
Shogun SWB 4Work
Steyr M9094 Tractor

(Still a D3 fan though!) 

Last edited by mudplugger on 22nd Mar 2006 9:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4943422nd Mar 2006 9:06 pm
mudplugger

England 

jollybodger wrote:
Hi Mudplugger,
You are the best type of advertisement! I was wondering about it too, but was wary about invalidating our warranty since the car is only 8 months old. The 26-27 mpg we get makes me wince occasionally but the fantastic ride takes the pain away. What did you do about your insurance?
Regards
Duncan

PS Where did you train?

I trained at St.Mary's, Paddington (qual. in 1988).

My car is less than 4 weeks old.
My friendly LR dealer tells me not even they can tell if it's been TC'd.
A relative (in a household motor insurer) says that they look for appropriateness of the situation in any fault/liable accident - and only if it's been patently obvious that the car has been 'souped up' would they look for it - but they ask an LR dealer to decide if there had been any mod's to the vehicle that would make it unsafe/unsuitable/beyond design limits!
He's confident enough that his Golf TDI has been chipped/mapped to 185bhp...!
It's your own choice what or if you tell them...

I cannot comment on my own decision, but it is £40 a year extra for my own insurer.

Regards,

Muddy

Range Rover Vogue TDV8
Shogun SWB 4Work
Steyr M9094 Tractor

(Still a D3 fan though!) 

Last edited by mudplugger on 22nd Mar 2006 9:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4943822nd Mar 2006 9:14 pm
mudplugger

England 

scorpio wrote:
I had mine done a few months ago and it had to go back to LR for warranty work (unrelated to TC) all I got from them was "boy that is quicker than most we drive" no other comments at all it will b e going back soon to have the software updates for HEVAC and PTI I hope they dont Censored up the TC map.

I always had a grin because of driving such a good car but now it is wider and I get more MPG

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Completely agree - permagrin has set in and I struggle to remove it.

Range Rover Vogue TDV8
Shogun SWB 4Work
Steyr M9094 Tractor

(Still a D3 fan though!) 

Post #4943922nd Mar 2006 9:15 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

gavmurray wrote:
Guessing that TC will put the map back for you free of charge? This is something I got them to clarify in the event that LR had to reapply their map.

Which costs money eh ???

This service I would imagine is built into the initial costs.

-s

Post #4944022nd Mar 2006 9:16 pm
mudplugger

England 

gavmurray wrote:

That was absolutely the guarantee I had from both Alastair and Chris.
Hopefully for them this will be a rare event.

Now that the whole process can take less than an hour - (very clever box thingy) then that may not be too onerous a task should things get stuffed up by LR.

Muddy

Range Rover Vogue TDV8
Shogun SWB 4Work
Steyr M9094 Tractor

(Still a D3 fan though!) 

Post #4944122nd Mar 2006 9:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >