Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Wiring Hella 4000's, how to independently of headlights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rockjock

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
Wiring Hella 4000's, how to independently of headlights?

Ok got the ARB and winch mounted, now its time to wire up my driving lamps. I am in the process of wiring up Hella 4000's with a Hella wiring harness. How do I wire them if I want them to operate independently of the headlamps? The included wiring schematic indicates that I should connect a wire from the included on/off switch (which mounts in the cabin) back to the main beam headlights, which seems to imply the headlights must be on for the driving lamps to operate..which is not what I want. My state did away with vehicle inspections due to budget cuts, so that isn't a concern. Also anyone who has run wiring thru the firewall, a question for you also.. in the extra battery box on an automatic equipped truck (where the master brake cylinder is located), there appears to be an unused grommet immediately below a massive bundle of wiring going thru the firewall. Is this apparently unused grommet (much smaller than the wire bundle grommet above) the same one used for the clutch tube on a manual equipped truck? My local dealer is totally clueless on helping me out with wiring thru the firewall (of course he is clueless about most things on this truck) Thanks for any heip.
 was 00 D2 > then 04 D2 > now 05 LR3  
Post #4906321st Mar 2006 7:17 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Wiring Hella 4000's, how to independently of headlights?

rockjock wrote:
Is this apparently unused grommet (much smaller than the wire bundle grommet above) the same one used for the clutch tube on a manual equipped truck?
Yes, comes out near the steering column inside the cabin  
Post #4906421st Mar 2006 7:19 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Rockjock,

Wiring them independently of the hi/lo beam seems a difficult way to operate them with on coming traffic.

Hate to be blinded by your driving lights at night if you forgot to turn them off.
Twisted Evil
I'd be wiring them as per the Hella instructions even if you don't have vehicle inspections.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #4923122nd Mar 2006 8:58 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi rockjock, the web address bellow is for a wiring diagram that will allow you to operate the driving lights either automatically when you switch to high beam or manually at any time. Idea

The site is an Australian Land Rover web site but the diagram is not LR specific and as such has both negative switched and positive switched wire diagrams. The positive switch diagram is the one you want.

http://www.aulro.com/modules.php?name=Foru...amp;t=5471

BTW if you have any questions or strike a problem, post here and I’ll try to help you.

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #4941322nd Mar 2006 7:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >