Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Failing Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Swampy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Failing Battery

After 4 years the original battery is on it's way out.
Could anybody tell me if I have to get a new one from LR or inform me of alternatives. Thanks in advance.
Swampy

Post #48471021st Jun 2009 10:07 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had the Dealer replace mine. It wasn't that expensive (less than $200) and it was replaced with the OEM battery plus they take the old one, clear faults etc... No more errors due to low voltage.

Worth the cost IMHO.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #48472921st Jun 2009 10:57 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I agree with Chris, let LR do the job, cost is small and they clear the faults if it gets to that stage.

My battery died overnight and I couldn't do anything. The vehicle was even dragged onto a flatbed to get it to the dealer as I couldn't release the handbrake using the method (from the handbook).
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #48502222nd Jun 2009 2:04 am
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

If you're not near a dealer, then any 12v battery with matching CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) and mAh (milli-amp-hour) rating will do the job.
Mine wnet flat once due to leaving the ignition switch on acc for too many days in a row. I used a 300amp battery back to crank it...started no worries.
LeighW, maybe you could have jumped some power from the tow truck to release the brake?

Post #48502522nd Jun 2009 2:59 am
dannog

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I had LR replace mine only last week.

NRMA had said that they thought nothing was wrong with the battery hence I took it in for LR to inspect. They tested it and said that it was stuffed. The battery replacement cost $140 plus labour to fit. The testing of the old battery cost my $200..... I wasn't happy about that!

Moral of the story. have them replace the battery and not bother running the diagnostics on the old one.

Post #48502622nd Jun 2009 3:28 am
dannog

I had LR replace mine only last week.

NRMA had said that they thought nothing was wrong with the battery hence I took it in for LR to inspect. They tested it and said that it was stuffed. The battery replacement cost $140 plus labour to fit. The testing of the old battery cost my $200..... I wasn't happy about that!

Moral of the story. have them replace the battery and not bother running the diagnostics on the old one.

Post #48502722nd Jun 2009 3:28 am
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

dannog...what did LR do to test it that cost $200?
A simple load test of putting a high load, based on the CCA, and checking that the voltage holds up at that load, is all that's required; and that costs nothing at any auto sparky or tyre shop.
You can even do it at home with the help of a voltmeter.
Hook up the meter and confirm a battery votage of around 12.5v. Either place the meter where you can see it from the cab, or get someone else to crank the motor for you, while you watch the voltmeter. If you maintain a voltage better than, or about, 10.5 volts than the battery is in good condition.
If LR were testing the fancy variable voltage output of the alternator as well, that's different, but really shouldn't cost anything. A simple check for any alternator is to turn all the electrical loads on and check at the battery for a voltage of 13.5 to 14.8 at 1500rpm, and that is stays within the range as load is added or reduced.

Post #48503422nd Jun 2009 5:04 am
dannog

I've been going to give them a call, My wife picked up the car and I only saw the invoice on the weekend. I must admit that I was very supprise (read went of my nut) and she naturally thought it was directed at her.
Given you note I'll definitely call them to have a go about this. Who knows they may refund me some of it!

Post #48504622nd Jun 2009 7:40 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

For those of us with a petrol engine, you may want to consider getting the diesel engine battery. It's bigger. I did it 2 yrs ago and suspect it may last longer (particularly if key left in ignition occurs).
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #48507422nd Jun 2009 9:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >