Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Visiting Australia late next month, long range tank...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LR3GuyJoe

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Visiting Australia late next month, long range tank...

I have a trip in the works for late july early august. I'll be flying into sydney and either flying or driving up to brisbane. My best mates roomate just moved over there from NY so we are going to crash at his place.

I'd really like to bring back a long range tank similar to the long ranger. Any suggestion on that model or similar? and where abouts to source one?

And lastly and D3 event going on in the area around that time?

Thanks!
 Sceen name use to be "wantsanlr3"

Club Traxide
Club RLD winch mount
Club MTRs

-MY05 SE
-A frankenstein Mini '66 sportspack with a vauxhall lump
-'64 AH Sprite

Post #48544422nd Jun 2009 9:24 pm
rmp

Australia 

Are you sure it wouldn't be a better idea to have the tank shipped back to the USA seperately? I can't see airliners permitting a fuel tank as baggage.

Note you'll also need a spare wheel carrier, or to carry the spare on the roof.

Brown Davis is an alternative to the Long Ranger.
 --
Robert
Life is better in low range 

Post #48550822nd Jun 2009 11:30 pm
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Google search them. Smile
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #48551722nd Jun 2009 11:55 pm
LR3GuyJoe

as long as its new it shouldnt be a problem for checked luggage and it could be a water tank should I have an issue.

Club Traxide
Club RLD winch mount
Club MTRs

-MY05 SE
-'64 AH Sprite

Post #48552423rd Jun 2009 12:18 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Be aware that you'll probably have to declare the value to US Customs, who will need to see a receipt, which will say "fuel tank". Also be even more aware that airlines, particularly full of fuel going to the US, can get very twitchy about anything with wires and sensors attached to it. At check-in, all luggage will be X-rayed, and they'll see the wires. This might not be too bad in Australia, but if re-checking after LA customs it's seen, you may become more than familiar with the penalties under the Patriot Act. I had a colleague who inadvertantly had a hip flask full of high proof alcohol in a checked bag when going to the US. He spent about 2 yrs in prison for his transgression Shocked and is forever on "no fly" lists. Me thinks that some enforcers in various customs/security areas must get a pay bonus for nailing innocents on technical violations. I'm not a lawyer but I'd keep anything with wires and sensors out of luggage and on a ship with a proper manifest. Besides, if you have the manufacturer in Oz ship it directly to you, you'll avoid the 10% Aust GST, which will probably pay for about 1/2 the shipping cost.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #48553823rd Jun 2009 4:54 am
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Confused don't think it will be a problem.

Post #48566723rd Jun 2009 12:52 pm
LR3GuyJoe

Ive got a classic mini and the D3 and Ive brought a lot of parts back from england I have run in to problems but its usally with US customs. From that Ive learned to just carry my insurance cards for the vehicles as proof that I do own the vehicle Im bringing in parts for since then I have not had an issue and I have brought back all kinds of electrical bits and odd shaped items. I also tend to leave a note in the suitcase/package describing what the items are and what they are for incase Im not around when it is opened.

I think the tank might be out because of weight. The long ranger is 35kg alone just for the tank. Sad

Club Traxide
Club RLD winch mount
Club MTRs

-MY05 SE
-'64 AH Sprite

Post #48568223rd Jun 2009 1:31 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I'm told by Qantas people that the 32kg (70lb) limit they have for checked baggage is an Aust gov't Health Safety & Environment limitation. Above that it has to go as freight and the airlines can be penalised if they exceed that. I tend to go to NZ at least monthly and have carried valves, and other industrial items there (natural gas plant being built). In my experience on 3 airlines (Qantas, Emirates, Air NZ) the 32kg limit is "hard" and I'm travelling business class (always leaving Perth on an overnight flight so it's not all that wonderful an experience).
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #48613824th Jun 2009 5:44 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jim - I build speakers for a hobby, and post 9-11 I had a heck of a time trying to explain what a "capacitor" and "inductor" was to the seemingly brain-dead x-ray operators across the USA. I have also had similar problems carrying disc calipers back as well - as they seem to be about the same size as a claymore! Rolling Eyes

I agree with you that having the manufacturer ship to USA would be a better proposition.

Post #48629924th Jun 2009 1:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >