Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

chipping and insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RichardO

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
chipping and insurance

Turbo Chip- i noticed that you mentioned that s***rc***s only increase fuel injection when chipping a car? i have had my disco 3 chipped by them, should i be concerned about any future reliability probs?

Also can anyone recommend an insurer who is okay with ecu upgrade as mine is not?

Many thanks

Richard

Post #4851519th Mar 2006 2:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is always a way to tell if your engines been chipped - hardware or software route. Just unless you have the right kit to find it (and I'm sure LR do) then as you say it is 'hidden'

Personally I would always tell them. Sods law has a way of, well, cropping up when you least want it - why its called sods law I guess (no idea of the history of Sod though).

Even adding an after market body kit to a car can invalidate your cover if you don't tell them. Or even adding an after market sunroof. Any additional items you add or parts you modify after taking out the cover have to be divulged. More than likely they will just document it and say its not a problem of course.

As with many things in life and to do with LR's - your call. You make yer bed and yer lie in it Wink

-s

Post #4853819th Mar 2006 5:18 pm
RichardO

I HAVE ALREADY CHIPPED MY DISCO3. MY CURRENT INSURERS HAVE SAID THAT THEY WILL NOT COVER MY VEHICLE IF CHIPPED SO I NEED TO CHANGE MY INSURERS.

I WAS JUST ASKING WEATHER ANYONE KNEW OF AN INSURANCE COMPANY WHICH ALLOWED MODS?
 What an amazing vehicle. owner of disco 3, hse, java with beige leather.

bmw x5 4.4 sport (trying to sell but no joy)_
bmw 330ci sport 

Post #4855919th Mar 2006 6:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

So why are you SHOUTING ? Many readers of the forum may not be aware of insurance 'issues' with chipping.

If they are considering it then they need to choose to tell or not to tell is all I said.

Try NFU they seem to be pretty good and keenly priced. Also tell them you have had the engine's ECU re-mapped to provide better low end torque and improved fuel economy - not for high performance Wink Avoid the word 'chipping' as this they would relate to all those razzed up Scoobies and such, not a Land Rover.

cheers

Post #4856519th Mar 2006 6:28 pm
JMC

Scotland 

More Th>n had no real issues about my 'engine re-map'. Quoted figure didn't change and they have the details of the mod in black and white on the policy. 8)

Post #4857519th Mar 2006 7:12 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Personally I fine the majority of insurance companies are now 'chip' friendly.

I'll now play devil's advocate and say that LR cannot find our 'chip' but I dont know about Schips or other tuners software Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #4859119th Mar 2006 8:36 pm
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi

Turbochip, any chance you could answer Richards origonal question. I had mine sup*******ed too, and I am interested in the long term effects - not just asking you to slag off the opposition, obviously. Are you able to TC a car which has previously been SC upgraded?

On the insurance note, Privelidge didn't charge me much for the extra power upgrade
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #4860919th Mar 2006 9:27 pm
LRtuning

Ok...S****Ch**s only modify the common rail fuel pressure which increases the fuel pressure from the pump to the 'common rail' fuel reservoir that sits behind the fuel injectors. When the injectors open (fire) more fuel is forced passed the injector resulting in higher power and torque. This is exactly the same effect as using a 'plug in' box and is a close to remapping an engine as asking your passengers to walk!! Wink

The problem with continued common rail pressure increases is that all components within the fuel system are expected to work harder whenever the engine is working and that in itself cannot be a good thing for longevity or reliability.

Common rail fuel pressure increases are the easy way to tune modern diesel engines......here at TC we also modify Turbo pressure, injector timing and throttle demand AND ONLY increase the common rail pressure when demanded by the drivers right foot. I'm sure JE do something similar to us Wink

We can indeed programme TC over Schips no problem Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #4861419th Mar 2006 9:45 pm
Pelyma

England 

I don't think NFU do cover it as I asked and eventually got a negative answer. Adrian Flux would I expect and as you've seen many normal insurance companies will too at little or no cost.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4880920th Mar 2006 4:23 pm
LRtuning

I have several customers with NFU that have got cover Wink
Post #4881420th Mar 2006 4:32 pm
RichardO

Many thanks for all answers. i am currently insured with esure and i got a flat no when asked about cover if i had the ecu remapped(already have had this done).

Turbochips please would you supply me with a local supplier of your product (as i now wish to change over from the s***rc**p) who will supply your product. i am based in camberley surrey.

many thanks all

richard

bmw 330ci sport 

Post #4912521st Mar 2006 10:05 pm
RichardO

by the way simon i was not shouting i left the caps lock on in error

richard

bmw 330ci sport 

Post #4912821st Mar 2006 10:12 pm
LRtuning

Richard

Call me 07957 309640

Chris Wink
Post #4916021st Mar 2006 11:14 pm
simon

RichardO wrote:
by the way simon i was not shouting i left the caps lock on in error

richard

HEY NO WORRIES MATE.... OOOOoops Wink

cheers

-s

Post #4919421st Mar 2006 11:46 pm
RichardO

many thanks

richard

bmw 330ci sport 

Post #4922222nd Mar 2006 12:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >