Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Warranty work at 53K
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Warranty work at 53K

Hi gang.. my D3 got the screaming handbrake thing a few weeks ago. Took it to Australs yesterday who fixed it and also discovered the EAS compressor was stuffed (second replacement) and it also needs a new front diff.

Not bad for 53,000 ks... hope it keeps going for another 53K

Cheers

Mark T
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #4750672nd Jun 2009 3:55 am
BlackPerth2

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

what model year is yours Mark?
 2006 SE TDV6 with G4 Options ("A" Bar, Driving lights, expedition rack, ladder; fr & r light guards, side steps, G4 logos) door moulds; plus Long Ranger 115L sub-tank; OL rear wheel carrier; OL rear drawer system; Kenwood / Garmin Satellite Nav/bluetooth/iPod/rear camera/DVD); LR roof mounted DVD; GME 3440 UHF; Tyre Dog tyre monitoring system; Optima Yellow second battery and Traxide dual battery management system; Mitchell Bro's tow hitch;  
Post #4754883rd Jun 2009 1:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have the MY06 they still had some residual problems from the first build. New diff in mine because of leak due to coating on the housing. Compressor fine.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4754893rd Jun 2009 1:28 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Warranty work at 53K

MarkTaylor wrote:
and it also needs a new front diff.

Not bad for 53,000 ks... hope it keeps going for another 53K

Mark T

Had both front and rear diffs replaced on my 07 model at 70k km's last week. Rear had problem with diff-lock and front developed a whine.

All done under original warranty - but.......

are you serious when you say "not bad for 53k km's" or are you joking Question

I am not used to diffs needing replacement EVER on any vehicle Shocked
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #4755473rd Jun 2009 9:01 am
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I was actually being a little sarcastic... never replaced a diff in my motoring life of over 40 years. They tell me that it was low in oil.... caused excess noise and wear etc. Mine is an August 06 build and has already had a compressor replaced in February 08.

Tell me about the coating problem???

Cheers

Mark Taylor
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #4755793rd Jun 2009 10:06 am
caverD3

AFAIU The early diff housings were given a clear coat. The manufacturers also put this on the openings where the seals went. There was a reaction between the diff seal material the diff oil and the coating causing the seal to beeak down resulting in oil loss throgh the seals and contamination of the diff oil.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4755923rd Jun 2009 10:28 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Surely they can fit sensors to detect low/contaminated oil to prevent such an expensive fix Question

IMHO they can leave all the warning bells/alarms on things like door open, lights on etc and focus on the serious stuff Evil or Very Mad

BTW coating on my new diffs is pitch black
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #4756303rd Jun 2009 12:14 pm
caverD3

I think it is an unusual reason for diff failure for any vehicle. Unlike other 4x4s the D3 has diff breathers as standard. Thumbs Up
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #4758693rd Jun 2009 8:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >