Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Speed pulse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Speed pulse

I know that the subject of finding a speed pulse for non LR Satnav has been broached in previous topics but I would like some help. I am transfering my VDO Dayton 5000 from my old Disco Series 11 to my new Disco3. The auto electrician doing the job confirms that in order to provide the VDO Satnav with the correct type of pulse he needs to fit what he calls a Canbus??? This electronic gismo apparently converts the pulse but will cost in the order of £130.
Could someone explain and is the cost sensible. Rolling Eyes
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Last edited by TonyH on 17th Mar 2006 7:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4765514th Mar 2006 7:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marcon

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I dont know if the price of this is a bit steep but I have BPunk Travel pilot installed since april 2005 waiting to find how to connect speed pulse so any info you can put my way would be of great help. Thumbs Up

Post #4767514th Mar 2006 10:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

The "Canbus" is a bus (and standard) that lets specific modules of the vehicle speak together. It's not a device.

As I said before, the ABS module is probably the only place you can tap the pulse fairly easily... http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3282

But I don't know exactly what your devices demand for input...

Post #4768015th Mar 2006 12:09 am
TonyH

Hi Grommet

Thank you for your prompt response and information provided. As you can tell, I am not that familier with auto electronics and all I can tell you is that I am informed by the auto electrical experts that the wave form of the intelligent speed pulse needs to be converted from sine to square in order for the Satnav to understand and be able to calculate realtime MPH and miles driven.

The new Discovery3 apparently requires an expensive CANbus controller for the transfer of data and pulse synchronisation for compatability with the VDO Dayton Satnav and most other non LR systems. This was not necessary on my previous TD5, which output a basic pulse form. I don't think that there is any problem in finding the source of the pulse but they do refer to the need for the expensive CANbus controller.

Thanks for your help, I guess I will just have to pay up.
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey

Post #4768115th Mar 2006 7:31 am
TonyH

Hi Marcon

My VDO Dayton Satnav has been refitted (excluding connection to speed pulse, still waiting for the CANbus controller) into my new Disco3 and it works fine, even showing MPH and miles travelled. Therefore, I believe it only needs the speedo pulse when there are insufficient satellites available, simply to keep up to date with where the car is. I think it may use the pulse in combination with the inbuilt giro to keep on course when it cant get a valid satellite triangulation. I don't know how the Travel Pilot works but will try to get some info for you. Very Happy
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey

Post #4779515th Mar 2006 3:40 pm
marcon

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thank's for your help,any info will be much appreciated.

Post #4799216th Mar 2006 12:05 am
grommet

United States 

So, have your installers even attempted tapping the signal at the ABS module? It should carry a normal speed pulse... Is it the "wrong type" for your devices?

Post #4799816th Mar 2006 12:43 am
TonyH

Hello all,

I really don't know about the pulse from the ABS but as I understand the Disco3 speed pulse does not provide compatible information for most "wired-in" non LR Satnav systems. As I explained in a previous posting, the speed pulse is only required when the GPS signal is lost or there are insufficient satellites to enable a triangulation. In this case the speed pulse and Satnav gyro enables the system to continue to confirm and give guidance on the planned route until GPS is restored. So, the satnav will operate without the speed pulse signal but will fail when GPS is lost.

The CAN Bus interface is designed to provide a vehicle speed signal for vehicles using the CAN Bus system and it can also, where required, be wired to detect other electronic functions using the vehicle's CAN bus.

The Hunter CAN Bus CB8-R multi output interface is the one that is compatible with the LR Discovery3 and is wired at the on-board diagnostic connector (OBD-II), Pin 14 CAN Low, Pin 6 CAN High.

Since having it fitted, I have put it to the test and it does work!! Laughing Laughing

Hope this helps but further info available at www.huntertranducers.com
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey

Post #4823516th Mar 2006 7:30 pm
grommet

United States 

My only point is that the ABS module depends on the same basic speed pulse that some 3rd party Navigation systems require... so maybe getting that Hunter module is redundant. There might already be an appropriate converted output.

Post #4829216th Mar 2006 9:12 pm
TonyH

Thanks for your advice Grommet. Too late for me, but for those having a non LR fitted, it's worth querying whether a pulse can be obtained from the ABS rather than tapping the CAN bus by way of a relatively expensive interface.
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey

Post #4830417th Mar 2006 7:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >