Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Real on board tyre compressor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
basbog

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Real on board tyre compressor

Opinions please, Mitchell Bros have just released fittings that go on the LR suspension compressor for tyre inflation. Again it is not a cheap option, however good on them for the R&D and thinking outside the box.
So would you, mount a separate unit under the bonnet, or theirs?

Post #46706314th May 2009 11:33 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This was one of the things I wondered about when I purchased 2 1/2 years ago,

from memory some of the UK disco3'ers had a few reasons, why it was not a good idea to use the onboard compressor, I can't recall what they were.

Hopefully they will refresh my memory.
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #46707814th May 2009 12:31 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Can't really give an opinion of which to go for as I might be biased. Whistle

It was thought that taking air out would cause the desiccant in th dryer to become waterloggged because it was thought it was a re-circulating sytem, pushing the air backwards through the dryer. But the WS mauual shows it vents out of the dryer itself and air only ever flows one way. So you always have dry supply of air to the whole system. I have emptied the air out of my tank at lest six times when devloping the remote rod system, no issues at all.
One advantage I suppose is the air contains no moisture.

See:
Click image to enlarge

Nine litres of air at 244 psi is a lot of air. Shocked When I pumped all four tyres up from 25 psi to 34 and 38 psi the compressor didn't even start up. Very Happy Very quick and easy.

I have just taken apart some failed compressors and it appears failure of deciccant has been caused by the failure of the O ring where the dryer meets the compressor outlet. Drawing in water into the dryer on ther inlet side.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #46708914th May 2009 12:52 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

You should thank CaverD3 for the R&D on the Mitchell Bros unit. Thumbs Up
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #46749715th May 2009 4:18 am
basbog

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

So Mr Caver D3 if you have one fitted, Whistle can you tell me where the outlet for the hose to attach is, and how is it kept clean, or photos, and can you regulate the air pressure and how is the guage which has a glass face protected.

Post #46759315th May 2009 10:18 am
rmp

Australia 

Can an alternate compressor be plugged in with this kit if the main one fails?
 --
Robert
Life is better in low range 

Post #46760815th May 2009 11:09 am
caverD3

The outlet for the hose is just in front of the tank, just reach under, remove the cap, plug in the line and open the valve.
The Nitto fitting is protected from dirt with a rubber stopper. The guage is used to adjust the pressure to your pressure setting (90-150 psi) before it is removed and replaced with a blanking plug.

There is no reason why you could not plug a compressor into the fitting if the main one failed, you may have to remove the regulator and plumb straight to the valve. Then I am not sure if the D3 would still let the suspension work. The tank is usually at 230psi and most compressors are only 150psi. It would be interesting to try it though.

PS Thanks Bushwanderer. Thumbs Up It has taken a while to get everything right.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #46764715th May 2009 12:23 pm
TDV6

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Yes you should be able to get air back into the system. I had this setup on my old 93RR, and used to use service stations air to reinflate my system after my compressor failed. The RR system electrics turned the compressor on at 125psi and off at 150psi, so even though the D3 tank is at a much higher pressure, I would expect the air springs to reinflate. Most service stations output was only 70 to 90psi but this kept me going for a month or so until I rebuilt the RR's compressor.

Ryall

Post #46799416th May 2009 1:37 am
caverD3

D3 is a very different system (fortunately Wink )
Maybe it will work, it would depend on what pressure the system says there is aenogh pressure and allows it all to work.

Specifications

Air Suspension - General Specification

Item Specification
Ride height:
Off road 55 mm (2.1 in) above standard
Access - reselectable whilst vehicle is moving 50 mm (1.9 in) below standard
Trim height Configured using T4 plus special tools
Height sensors:
Location 4 per vehicle - one sensor for each wheel
Height sensor arm colour coding:
Left hand side, front and rear WHITE
Right hand side, front and rear BLACK
Height sensor operating voltages:
Supply voltage 5 volts - supplied by air suspension ECU
Output voltage Left hand front and right hand rear - Decreases to 0.5 volts with bump travel. Right hand front and left hand rear - Decreases to 4.5 volts with bump travel
Spring/damper modules:
Type Guided air spring surrounding twin tube damper
Pressures:
Normal - Front 800 to 1000 kPa (8.0 to 10.0 bar) (116.0 to 145.0 lbf/in²)
Normal - Rear 500 to 800 kPa (5.0 to 8.0 bar) (72.5 to 116.0 lbf/in²)
Burst pressure 3500 kPa (35 bar) (507.5 lbf/in²)
Maximum spring pressure - Full bump at gross vehicle weight Approximately 2700 kPa (27 bar) (391.5 lbf/in²)
Air compressor: Supplied with air drier, electrically switched, pilot operated exhaust valve and double temperature sensors
Controlled by ECU
Maximum pressure 1680 kPa (16.8 bar) (243.6 lbf/in²)
Air reservoir:
Volume 9 litres (0.31 cu.ft)
Working pressure 1750 kPa (17.5 bar) (253.75 lbf/in²) Maximum operating pressure 2300 kPa (23 bar) (333.5 lbf/in²)
Reservoir valve block Incorporates pressure sensor to monitor spring and air reservoir pressures
Valve blocks:
Front 2 corner valves, 1 cross link valve - all mounted on front bumper armature
Rear 2 corner valves, 1 cross link valve - all mounted on left hand rear spring tower
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #46800016th May 2009 4:06 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the info Thumbs Up That rules out the possibility of plumbing in the Warn Power Plant as a back up comp. The output of the PP is about 90 psi and 6cfm so very much under powered pressure wise.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #46800416th May 2009 4:43 am
caverD3

You will need something like the 'Big Boss' compressor.
I'll bbe taking spare re-conditioned LR for long trips.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #46800516th May 2009 4:50 am
catweasel

caverD3 wrote:
I have just taken apart some failed compressors
where did you source these and at what cost?  
Post #46800616th May 2009 5:02 am
caverD3

From a bin. Whistle

It depends on what failed in the compressor. I got one to work from two failed.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #46800916th May 2009 5:44 am
Getafix

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

CaverD3 Do you think that implementing this system (tyre inflation) will have warranty implications? As apart from that it seems a brilliant way to go. Idea
 <*(((<<  
Post #46801816th May 2009 8:05 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

caverD3 wrote:
It was thought that taking air out would cause the desiccant in th dryer to become waterloggged because it was thought it was a re-circulating sytem, pushing the air backwards through the dryer. But the WS mauual shows it vents out of the dryer itself and air only ever flows one way.

The following paragraphs are from a bit further down in the WSM.

Air Dryer
The air dryer is an integral part of the air supply unit. The air dryer contains a desiccant which absorbs moisture. Pressurized air is passed through the air dryer which removes any moisture in the compressed air before it is passed to the reservoir and/or the system

When the air is exhausted from the system, the returning air is passed through the air dryer, regenerating the air dryer by removing moisture from the desiccant and expelling it to atmosphere via the exhaust.

The air dryer is an essential component in the system ensuring that only dry air is present in the system. If moist air is present in the system, freezing can occur, resulting in poor system operation or component malfunction/failure.

Post #46802016th May 2009 8:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >