Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Can't get in my car after 10 days off not using it.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

drivesafe wrote:
Hi folks and not trying to hijack the thread but has anybody else had this problem and just hooked up another vehicle using a jumper connection through the rear socket, as described by wvlenthe, but not to jump start, just to get enough charge to get the doors to unlock using the remotes?

Think danger would be that if the battery was that flat, ie down to 2 volts there is a good chance it would blow the 30?amp fuse in the accessory feed with the initial current. (If using another vehicle battery as opposed to a bench supply). I asumed wlenthe has anderson connectors on his tractors to run kit on the trailers as he says he jump starts with them. No harm trying on the normal socket though, worst is a blown fuse! You have then lost the easy access to the battery though.. Just playing safe really.
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #46572811th May 2009 7:01 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

xtc wrote:
drivesafe wrote:
Hi folks and not trying to hijack the thread but has anybody else had this problem and just hooked up another vehicle using a jumper connection through the rear socket, as described by wvlenthe, but not to jump start, just to get enough charge to get the doors to unlock using the remotes?

Think danger would be that if the battery was that flat, ie down to 2 volts there is a good chance it would blow the 30?amp fuse in the accessory feed with the initial current. (If using another vehicle battery as opposed to a bench supply). I asumed wlenthe has anderson connectors on his tractors to run kit on the trailers as he says he jump starts with them. No harm trying on the normal socket though, worst is a blown fuse! You have then lost the easy access to the battery though.. Just playing safe really.

My battery charger is fused to 10 amps, so that should go first. Otherwise putting the low wattage bulb in the circuit to act as a fuse was very good thinking.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #46573411th May 2009 7:22 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Roel wrote:
On that TFC pm'ed me how to get in but my fingers are too big.

Glad you got in finally Roel, but you could have just asked your wife or someone with little hands for assistance Wink
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #46578211th May 2009 9:01 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I am not going into details but even children hands are probably too big.

The XTC way op putting power on the towbar electrics is a much easier way to be honest and probably as quick. You just need a charger to some power in the car a 15 V 3.5 Amps laptop charger will probably do and then open the door and you can jump start the D3.

The only thing. You need towbar electrics.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #46581111th May 2009 9:43 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well I'll be damned, glad you got in in the end Roel Thumbs Up I think I'm going to stash a 12S plug with a couple of wires attached somewhere underneath Whistle

Post #46581711th May 2009 9:53 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

No not underneath, more change on top. There is a lot off space in the front part off the roofrack. I am thinking off making a small lockable dry storage there.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #46582211th May 2009 9:58 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good idea Roel, only I have no such luxury as a roof rack Laughing . Still, thanks to you and the previous sufferers for bringing this blinding oversight to our attention. Thumbs Up

Post #46582811th May 2009 10:11 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

While it was probably a pain in the haemorrhoids for you Roel, but as you got it sorted, from all the help, it has certainly turned into a very good learning curve for the rest of us and glad to see you up and running again.

Thanks to all for an excellent read and education.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #46587912th May 2009 12:09 am
Harlequin

United Kingdom 

Roel
Firstly, my roof lights were installed and wired by a main dealer - so I'm fairly certain they were done properly! I have a small round rocker switch on the dash to the right of the steering wheel - with an indicator light to show when it is activated. The roof lights only work when the headlights are on. However, I suspect that when the headlights are off and the roof light selector switch is left activated, it is providing power to one side of the pair of relays which work the four roof lights. I am assuming that there is therefore sufficient current drain to flatten the battery over a 10 day period (whilst on holiday last year!!). There was nothing else left on, so I can only assume that this was the cause and the guy from LRA was inclined to agree.
I now make a point of ensuring that the roof light switch is definitely off, if I leave it for any period of time. Thumbs Up
 I was taught to be cautious.  
Post #46601812th May 2009 12:50 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi XTC,

Quote:
I asumed wlenthe has anderson connectors on his tractors to run kit on the trailers as he says he jump starts with them.

Actually I'm using these. Heavy duty stuff obviously and perfectly capable of jumpstarting a lorry.

I assume the cabling in our D3's will not take the kind of current needed for jumpstarting so be careful guys! Trickle loading is a fair possibility though!

@Roel: well done! Thumbs Up

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #46621612th May 2009 6:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >