New Low Cost BBS service reset tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

bellautos wrote:
To try and keep the thread on topic.

Doesn't appear to be off topic yet ...if you don't want difficult responses don't ask the question. Thumbs Up

Post #4617802nd May 2009 11:32 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thats true Neil.

Post #4617822nd May 2009 11:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

...and I'm not trying to be difficult BTW....it's a public forum and uncomfortable questions\responses should be anticipated TBH.

The product appears well intentioned to me...it can't reset the mileage which should be the most logical indicator of number of services completed.

Post #4617843rd May 2009 12:02 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If the local indi can't reset the service indicator (genuine question) then surely he also can't read any stored fault codes etc ?

Therefore yes, you have done oil, filters, various checks, fluid changes etc - but surely you could still drive off with a logged fault.

But now you drive off with the original fault and a cleared service indicator. great for doing stuff on the cheap - but not the best idea is it ??????????
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #4617913rd May 2009 12:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The problem is that the average purchaser of a D3 would have no idea if a service had actually taken place or if their servicing agent had actually completed a service. Makes it very easy without spending lots of cash of a full blown system to reset the indicator without actually doing any work. Potentially of course.

Not a fault of the product or of BBS... but its very nature opens up the potential to fleece innocent customers with I imagine very little financial investment compared to other systems.

Offering the product to everyone and not controlling or checking who buys one could be considered irresponsible.

Post #4617933rd May 2009 12:21 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sort of thing you find for all "old" cars on ebay . . . .

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...Categories

+ a bloke selling you one of these (for a D3 obviously)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-Service-Book...7C294%3A50
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #4617963rd May 2009 12:24 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

A few 'tools' there Laughing

Post #4617993rd May 2009 12:27 am
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

The gadget is locked to ONE D3, so if a garage/indie didn't service your car but just reset the indicator, they would have to buy alot of the gadgets and then throw them away after one use! But if a garage/indie or dealer had an IDS system or something similar they could just reset your light and say £££££ thankyou, BYE BYE, and you wouldn't be any wiser!!
I would find it useful to be able to turn off the reminder light after doing my own service! I change the oil and filter every 6months regardless of the mileage covered.
There are a few people on here asking how to reset the service light. Now they have the option of buying a tool that can.
Thumbs Up

Post #4618053rd May 2009 1:01 am
catweasel

the other side of the coin, I like so many wont be going to the dealer outside of warranty and we dont have an independant network like the UK so who to reset the indicator? if not reset it may also look like you have not bothered to get it serviced at all.

Post #4618113rd May 2009 2:03 am
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Agree, and for those of us in the trade (30 years HGV Technician) and feel aggrieved paying hundreds of pounds for a service just to get the service indicator reset, it's something that should be helpful. If a dealer or indie charged a reasonable price to reset indicator then it wouldn't be too bad, but they want to fleece you for a five minute job.

Post #4618143rd May 2009 2:17 am
Neil Pettersen

How many days "late" does the indicator run to ?
By now, there must be owners with several hundred days
since the end of warranty, who have not returned to a
LR Dealer for service.

Post #4618213rd May 2009 5:49 am
UNG

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:

Offering the product to everyone and not controlling or checking who buys one could be considered irresponsible.

Does that mean my local ironmonger who sells jemmy bars is being irresponsible because he has not checked who you are and why you want one

I've had arguements with dealers who have serviced work my work vehicles in the past, when picking it up it's easy to pop the bonnet and check for clean oil on the dipstick. With the pittance the techs get paid v's the high servicing labour cost it would not surprise me if they cut corners to make the bonus and miss things out. I just don't believe you can put much faith in a service light if you are buying secondhand your eyes and ears are the best tools to use
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #4618283rd May 2009 7:59 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 
Re: New Low Cost BBS service reset tool

BBS SPY wrote:
In accordance with our companies aims to provide the lowest possible cost equipment for the private individual to use on their own car only, the unit will lock itself forever to the first vehicle it is used on. However it will also cost less than 50 GBP.

so surly the seller will need to pass on the unit as it wont work on anything else? thus they can explain the services they have done and reset.

unless the suggestion is they only need to spend $50 to make a Censored load of profit Shocked
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #4618463rd May 2009 9:03 am
Neil Pettersen

Re: New Low Cost BBS service reset tool

BBS SPY wrote:
...The unit smartly utilizes a high intensity multi colour LED to indicate it's activity / result and a pre settable 16 way rotary switch to pre select not only an "as per dealer equipment reset" but also a wider variety of other possibilities of different length service interval reminders as well as different earlier warnings.
the unit obviously comes with full instructions and support..... to use on their own car only, the unit will lock itself forever to the first vehicle it is used on. However it will also cost less than 50 GBP...

This is just what folk want and for less than the price of a so so single malt.

I don't see why it's upsetting people .......

The adjustable settings sounds excellent too .

It's not about fraud , it's about features. If you want service receipts then ask for the paperwork.

Post #4618673rd May 2009 10:03 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Isn't there a service indicator reset procedure that works on 07MY & beyond vehicles? Even if there isn't strikes me that there's a limited market for this, i.e. people doing their own servicing who don't want to shell out on anything more expensive/sophisticated. Can't see anything wrong with it though, it can't do anything you couldn't pay any garage/bloke in pub with the right kit a tenner to do
 The End  
Post #4618693rd May 2009 10:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >