Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Rubbing Strips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
CFB

United Kingdom 

My fitting tip

Measure the exact height you want to fit them at and stick a strip of low-tack masking tape (decorating stuff) along this line checking it is level etc. You can have as many goes as you want at this stage. Then line up the moulding to sit just above the masking tape and voila. Also, warm the car or sticky strip with a hairdryer before applying to ensure the adhesive is tacky.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #466489th Mar 2006 8:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Husky

Australia 

Does anybody know how you can get them colour coded, I saw a picture of them in silver on a silver car and it looked great?

Post #466579th Mar 2006 9:24 pm
lancsamb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just to say I fitted them myself and if I can do it then any one can. just follow the instructions which are very very simple. Thud They give you the alchohol swabs to clean the area you are going to stick them on. Dont suck them aftwards as they taste awful Rolling Eyes Make sure you do this in a dry and if possible not to cold area as this effect the time it takes to stick. Just place them around your car first so you know you are sticking the right ones in the right place before you start

Good luck
 Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6 S 7 seat Automatic
Zambezi Silver my second love 

Post #466619th Mar 2006 9:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Get the rubbing strips warm - a tip is to lie them on the top of a double radiator for about 30 mins prior to fitting - this makes them nice and flexible.

Make sure you get someone to give you a second opinion on your measurements and to help you fit - you don't get much of a second chance once you've committed the bond.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #466819th Mar 2006 11:41 pm
SN

cotefarmboy wrote:
My fitting tip

Measure the exact height you want to fit them at and stick a strip of low-tack masking tape (decorating stuff) along this line checking it is level etc. You can have as many goes as you want at this stage. Then line up the moulding to sit just above the masking tape and voila
Awww - you pinched my tip!!!! Have fitted rubbing strips to a previous car and this was EXACTLY what I did to get the strips straight and level! Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4670110th Mar 2006 9:04 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

qzdcg8 wrote:
cotefarmboy wrote:
My fitting tip

Measure the exact height you want to fit them at and stick a strip of low-tack masking tape (decorating stuff) along this line checking it is level etc. You can have as many goes as you want at this stage. Then line up the moulding to sit just above the masking tape and voila

Awww - you pinched my tip!!!! Have fitted rubbing strips to a previous car and this was EXACTLY what I did to get the strips straight and level!

Hey, you know what they say about great minds Wink
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #4670810th Mar 2006 9:38 am
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have the colour coded strips on my silver D3. They were painted and fitted by the dealer as part f the cosmetic upgrade...

Having fitted replacement strips to my old Disco1, I can promise that it's very easy, but you MUST warm up the panel first. A hair-dryer will do it, but a heat gun is better (you need to slightly melt the glue when it touches the hot door) - just don't get it so hot that the paint starts to blister. If you have a friendly body shop nearby, ask if you can borrow one of their heat lamps (they use these to help the drying process when they do localised repairs)
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #4672410th Mar 2006 10:59 am
Husky

Australia 

Mr Bling wrote:
I have the colour coded strips on my silver D3. They were painted and fitted by the dealer as part f the cosmetic upgrade...

Thanks for that, it was actually your vehicle I had seen them on when looking at your gallery in regards to another post Smile

Post #4684210th Mar 2006 9:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >