Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rear seat removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Rear seat removal

I am just getting my head around preparation for the Canning Stock Route in August, I hope to be able to utilise the rear of the D3 for a lot of gear which we will need among it, around 150 extra litres of fuel.
To accomodate all the gear I want to remove the rear 2 rows of seats, are there any hidden problems or is it a fairly straightforward job?
TIA

Post #465639th Mar 2006 2:39 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Will the fact that the seats fold flat into the floor not give you enough room?
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #465729th Mar 2006 2:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardK

Unfortunately no, we need provisions and gear to handle 12 days in 3 deserts plus a few days extra for safety. We have a fuel drop about 900K's in or thereabouts and fuel is available from one of the Aboriginal Communities at about the 1100 K mark other than that we have to be self sufficient, so I really would like the extra space the removal of the rear seating would give me.

Post #465769th Mar 2006 3:02 pm
SN

I take my hat off to you - a brave man relying on a D3 so far out in the wilderness! Very Happy
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #466039th Mar 2006 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Richard,

I've removed my 3rd row.

You need a Torx 50 bit and a second person to help lift them out. The 2 seats are connected together - don't try to split them.

The middles row probably uses the same Torx bolt and hopefully the seat come apart. I haven't needed to remove them.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #4669510th Mar 2006 2:52 am
Gazavich

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Rear seat removal

RichardK wrote:
I am just getting my head around preparation for the Canning Stock Route in August, I hope to be able to utilise the rear of the D3 for a lot of gear which we will need among it, around 150 extra litres of fuel.
To accomodate all the gear I want to remove the rear 2 rows of seats, are there any hidden problems or is it a fairly straightforward job?
TIA

Why don't you get your self a roof rack and save the seat agro. Wink
 HSE TDV6 Silver : "Avin it large"

www.lift-trucksolutions.co.uk 

Post #4669710th Mar 2006 8:14 am
PCH

Re: Rear seat removal

The roof dynamic load rating is 70kg Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The rack will weigh anywhere from 20kg to 35kg. So to be safe you don't get much to play with on the roof.

Also this is worse for his centre of gravity. Keep the heavy stuff low as possible.
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #4673310th Mar 2006 12:04 pm
RichardK

Thanks Chris, I will have a look on the weekend. Did you put your drawer system in the rear seats place?

Gazavich,
The amount of gear needed for a trip such as this is quite large, the last time I did this in 1998 I estimated we were carrying just in excess of a ton in the RR.

Post #4674810th Mar 2006 1:34 pm
PCH

[quote="RichardK"]Thanks Chris, I will have a look on the weekend. Did you put your drawer system in the rear seats place?

Richard, This is an early photo before it was finished but it takes up the cargo area only. To get to the spare wheel winch you pull out the bottom draw and get a 22mm socket and ratchet onto the bolt. The space under the box where the third row seats folded into is now a small storage area for bits and pieces. Middle row seats still used.

I don't have a cargo barrier but the storage box acts as one. The draw system is bolted to the rear cargo loops.

Chris

Post #4690311th Mar 2006 11:13 am
JMC

Scotland 

Read em and weep mate.......

Post #4704412th Mar 2006 10:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >