Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 owners with the ARB bar and winch - Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
D3 owners with the ARB bar and winch - Questions

Hi to all the owners with the ARB front Bull Bar and Warn winch.

What model of Warn winch did you have fitted? Are there options to select from in the Warn range?

Who had their BB colour coded or asked for black and why? I think black is better in the long run due to scratches not being so painful on a colour coded one.

Did you have aftermarket lights fitted and was the wiring done by the installer of the BB?

My dilemma is deciding if the I should go with the ARB BB or the LR winch and A-Bar. Protection wise the ARB BB will be far better and looks less complicated to install. The ARB bar also has mounts for aerials. My LR Dealer still can't give me any pricing so I suspect these accessories aren't available in Oz.

Thanks for your comments.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #462517th Mar 2006 10:54 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Chris,

I optioned the ARB bar with the Warn 10,000 lb winch - apparently I had the choice of the 9,000, 10,000 or 12,000 lb versions.

I went for the black bbar (on a silver Disco) for the reasons you mentioned, but I'm now a little uncertain as to how it will look Confused

I've asked for aerial mounts on mine - I think the ARB store is arranging that locally.

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #463238th Mar 2006 4:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Chris, I went for the black bar on my green car. Looks the business I must say. I run the Superwinch X9+ that came from my D2. I am not a fan of Warn in general.
I do not have any auxilary lights. The only minus point was that there were no antenna mounts on the bar. These are available as clamp on separate units I believe.

Non Stick
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #463258th Mar 2006 7:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Thanks guys,

I think if you state you want aerial mounts it will come with them. The brochure states that the bar has these mounts.

It also looks like different winches can be used on the bar as well.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #463418th Mar 2006 10:50 am
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Chris, the foot print of the 4 holes that are used to attache the winch are pretty standard. The winch bolts to the inside vertical fac of the bumper bar which is better I feel than where the unit is bolted down to a horizontal plate.

You may need to a roller fair lead to suit as some roller fairleads although they will fit the line of the cabel may fowl on the inner edge of the bumper.

I use a synthetic rope and my old aluminium hawse was not suitable for the new setup. I had to go for a roller fair lead.

Non Stick Nick
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #463948th Mar 2006 4:25 pm
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

disco4x4au wrote:
Chris,

I optioned the ARB bar with the Warn 10,000 lb winch - apparently I had the choice of the 9,000, 10,000 or 12,000 lb versions.

I went for the black bbar (on a silver Disco) for the reasons you mentioned, but I'm now a little uncertain as to how it will look Confused

I've asked for aerial mounts on mine - I think the ARB store is arranging that locally.

Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon,
When do you take delivery?

RichardK

Post #465629th Mar 2006 2:34 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Richard,

If I can survive the sleepless nights, in about 10 ~ 12 days! The car arrived from over east last Fri, the tyres and tint/protection pack have been fitted, but the bar and winch won't happen until late next week Sad

I've done a head-gasket in the D1 and I'm just hoping the old girl will hold out until then Embarassed

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #4669410th Mar 2006 1:59 am
Jamo

Australia 

Chris,

further to my answer on AULRO, I have two antenna mounts on the bumper part of the bar, one of which has the UHF antenna mounted in it.

If you put add on mounts up on the rails, they may interfere with the bonnet opening.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #4670710th Mar 2006 9:31 am
PCH

I was down at one of the ARB stores today and I asked about the aerial mounts. They told me they come with two and two driving light mounts. The store I visited had a orange D3 BB with the IPF XS spots on display and sure enough it has 2 aerial mounts and 2 driving light mounts.

I was told the BB's are not custom made but are made in production runs and the variants are limited to with winch facility and without winch. So they must come with aerial mounts for Australia as you can't specify it.

Chris

Post #4673210th Mar 2006 11:51 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

disco4x4au wrote:
Richard,

If I can survive the sleepless nights, in about 10 ~ 12 days! The car arrived from over east last Fri, the tyres and tint/protection pack have been fitted, but the bar and winch won't happen until late next week Sad

I've done a head-gasket in the D1 and I'm just hoping the old girl will hold out until then Embarassed

Cheers,

Gordon

What sort of tyres are you having fitted Question

Post #4675010th Mar 2006 1:36 pm
Viper

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I got the colour coded ARB bar (Buckingham Blue) with Warn 9.5XP, Dynamica rope and 2 IPF XS spots. Looks great. Black looks better on the lighter coloured vehicle (white/silver), otherwise I think colour coding is the way to go.
 SE TDV6
Buckingham Blue
Alpaca Cloth 

Post #4676210th Mar 2006 2:21 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

The ARB dealers obviously can customise the bars a little. I asked for two recovery points on mine, which they are adding - for a small fee!

Richard, I had the 245/70/17 Cooper STTs fitted.

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #4688911th Mar 2006 3:28 am
PCH

Disco4x4au,

You are right. ARB will customise but you will pay more and will need to wait.

Chris

Post #4689211th Mar 2006 4:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >