Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Wheel Changing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JohnT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Wheel Changing

OK LR must be having a laugh here, had some Synchrones fitted today on 19's at ATS ( 4 for the price of 3 )

I'm glad I decided to have em fitted because we went through three jacks to get enough height to allow the removal of the wheel Shocked I'm not joking the car must have been at about 9 Ft fully extended.

any further you would have needed oxygen to get on the roof Very Happy

now I look at the scissor jack LR supply , you've got to be kidding I doubt it has enough extension for 1, but you will be there for hours extending it.

Someone must know a way of limiting the suspension travel , it's not in the ever so useless handbook but there must be a way ...

or this could be a real pain in the backside stuck down a country lane in the dark in the rain , you know the scenario..............

Help please, enlighten me or I'm going to have to buy an enormous jack and lug it around with me....

Post #408943rd Feb 2006 8:26 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I may well be wrong or you may have tried it but how about locking it into access height.

Post #408953rd Feb 2006 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

It's the other way round. Before jacking, raise the vehicle to off-road height; slot the jack into the hole on the chassis member and away you go. On hard ground it is the easiest thing in the world to lift....so sounds like your ATS man was not following the correct procedure.

It is important NOT to lift the vehicle on any of the trailing suspension parts; stick to the chasis (even if you are not using the supplied jack); make sure the vehicle is fully raised, and it is a breeze.

Post #408973rd Feb 2006 8:43 pm
SN

If anyone has got a photo of the correct way to do this, I for one would be grateful
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #409003rd Feb 2006 8:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
photothames

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have had to do it once on a flat tyre and as Winger has said if you follow the instructions and raise the car to off road height, the scissor jack does extend enough, though it is on its limit.
 Andy - 2006 HSE TDV6  
Post #409023rd Feb 2006 9:00 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ask Coffeecup how NOT to do it Wink We had a nightmare on a green lane in North Wales trying to change his blow out! The LR jack is complete pants, and a decent jack is vital before venturing off-road.

Post #409043rd Feb 2006 9:02 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

qzdcg8 wrote:
If anyone has got a photo of the correct way to do this, I for one would be grateful

It is all very clearly detailed in the Owner's Manual

Post #409063rd Feb 2006 9:04 pm
BN

England 

The problem is the ATS guy just treated it as a standard car

Post #409093rd Feb 2006 9:05 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Here's how NOT to do it Wink

Post #409103rd Feb 2006 9:05 pm
BN

England 

Yes, but coffeecup has reduced the width of his steps, tried swimming and managed to get a puncture, not bad. Just as well when he went under the chanel it didn't flood I suppose. Shocked

Post #409123rd Feb 2006 9:08 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You are right, he has been through the wars. Mind you, the old saying, things happen in three's so maybe he's had his go now, and its somebody else's turn.

Hopefully won't be me next weekend, I am going laning in the Peak District in my 2a. Trying to order some snow to make it more interesting. Wink

Post #409153rd Feb 2006 9:11 pm
BN

England 

Had my three situations this year, so I am OK. Enjoy your laning and you may get snow.

Post #409193rd Feb 2006 9:46 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

qzdcg8 wrote:
Winger wrote:
It's the other way round. Before jacking, raise the vehicle to off-road height; slot the jack into the hole on the chassis member and away you go. On hard ground it is the easiest thing in the world to lift....so sounds like your ATS man was not following the correct procedure.

It is important NOT to lift the vehicle on any of the trailing suspension parts; stick to the chasis (even if you are not using the supplied jack); make sure the vehicle is fully raised, and it is a breeze.

And leave the door open so it does not go into extended mode !!! or you will be jacking forever.... and remove the spare before jacking - especially if a rear is flat - or the damn thing will dangle and never reach the floor !

-s

Post #409253rd Feb 2006 10:21 pm
JohnT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Wheels

Thanks for all the help guys, I knew something was wrong at ATS, as the bloke said to turn the Hazard lights on and all would be ok ! Surprised

I guess with the eventual height it got to, that may not have been bad advice, especially for any low flying aircraft in the vicinity Very Happy

I wish I had my camera there it had to be seen to be believed, now where is that owners manual ............. really must read thouroughly before I attempt anything else.....

Post #409574th Feb 2006 12:21 pm
Blue

I recently had a tire/tyre bust flat when i hit a curb as I was pulling in to refuel. The thing cracked open and I thought, by the noise, that I had damaged a pump or something. Anyway, I replaced it with the spare right there, in about 30 minutes. I thought it was pretty fast, being the first time.

I was surprised to notice how much the front ones had worn out, of course, much worse than the rear, but especially on the inside. A few days later I got a new one (270€, Pirelli Scorpion Zero, 19" 111V, M+S) and replaced the other front. It was on level ground as well, and I had no trouble at all using the equipped jack. Just read the instructions!

See the pictures in my album: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=311
 Blue  
Post #457425th Mar 2006 6:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >