Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Anyone fited the LR Winch Kit on their own?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Anyone fited the LR Winch Kit on their own?

Hi all,

I was thinking about installing the winch kit and had a look at the instructions on the LR GTR website.

I have a few questions related to the electrics and wondered if I could do this on my own.

I have no problem with the mechanical part but I saw that you must remove the battery and splice a wire into the loom. If you remove power to the D3 what happens? Does it need to be plugged into the Diagnostic computer at the dealer and reset in anyway? What functions could get screwed if the battery is removed? Does the radio need a code to be entered if powered off? Does the computer need to be told that the winch has been added and expect a load when used?

Any advice would be helpful in deciding if I could install this on my own. The installation looks like quite an execise but I'm sure I can do a neater and more careful job than the dealer but am worried about touching the power to the computers.

Thanks,

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #458516th Mar 2006 10:10 am
Pelyma

England 

TFC did his himself
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #458526th Mar 2006 10:13 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Absolutely no problems disconnecting the battery, the only thing that needs to be reset is the clock.
WDS / T4 is only needed if you have the front PDC, although if you want to keep it (fitting a winch requires it to be switched off) I can advise of how & where to relocate the sensors to. It is a full days work though, if you are intending to fit the undershield, it's wise to do it at the same time.

Just remember to close the vehicle down properly, don't disconnect the battery until the interior lights have gone off and the clock display has disappeared. I've disconnected the battery a couple of times without any problems whatsoever. If you need a guide to removing the front bumper cover, PM me your email Wink

Post #458566th Mar 2006 10:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

10forcash,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do have the front PDC and noticed when the A-bar is fitted the inner 2 sensors disappear. Can they still be fitted? I like them for parking but they are a pain off-roading.

So can all 4 remain or not?

In Oz the Under Body Protection is still not available but if it is I'll get it when fitting the winch and A-bar. I'm sort of assuming I can get all of these accessories in Oz. I'm still waiting for the dealer to confirm price and availability.

I'll PM my email for any other info you have on tips for fitting.

Thanks very much for your help,

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #458596th Mar 2006 11:00 am
Ken

[img][/img]

According to the dealer the fitting instuctions are for the LHD version it took them nearly three days result was good thou and yes my front PDC are turned off!

Post #458606th Mar 2006 11:04 am
10forcash

Officially the front PDC is switched off, however, mine still has the outer ones working and the inner ones did work until I fitted the steel brush bar although repositioning further out will enable them to work. Failing that, either cable-tie the centre ones inside the bumper with a piece of butyl rubber tape over the sensor (this absorbs the ultrasonic transmission) and just have the outer ones active

Post #458616th Mar 2006 11:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Ken2463 wrote:
[img][/img]

According to the dealer the fitting instuctions are for the LHD version it took them nearly three days result was good thou and yes my front PDC are turned off!

Ken2463,

I do prefer the look of the LR set up over the ARB bullbar with winch. Although for Australian conditions the ARB BB is a better choice I just haven't got used to the look of it and prefer the LR look as it is "less in your face".

Chris

Post #458626th Mar 2006 11:10 am
Ken

Cheers 10 I'll have a route around for the cables at the weekend and get the dealer to turn them on again

Post #458646th Mar 2006 11:15 am
10forcash

Ken / PCH, the only difference is that the battery box is on the opposite side, doesn't need an engineering degree to work out how to do it 8)
I'll take some photo's of the revised wiring routing later Wink

Post #458666th Mar 2006 11:16 am
10forcash

Ken, you should be able to mount yours on the soft A bar with a bit of work, that said, the winch would make an excellent 'parking sensor' Laughing Laughing

Post #458676th Mar 2006 11:17 am
Engin

Turkey 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Guys, this is a great forum. Very Happy Sure, we hear a lot about the problems, but it's the tips and all the help that makes me wanna come back. Having driven from Camel Trophy Range Rover to Camel Trophy Disco II and now a (regular) Disco III, I think it's a great 4x4. It's not as hardcore as a Defender, but will be great fun as long as electronics won't fail. Rolling Eyes Wink

Back to the subject:

Ken, were you able to get the front PDC turned on again? Did you reposition the inner sensors? If you did, do you happen to have pictures of their new positions? I have the same set-up as yours and would like to get my PDC back. Thanks.

Post #5004325th Mar 2006 8:05 pm
Ken

Hi

Have not re located PDC as yet (March is a mega busy time for me) I plan after advice to reconect the PDCs and cover them with heavy tape so only the two outer ones work and place them out of site TFC is right the winch works well as a front sensor !!!! Shocked

Post #5004525th Mar 2006 8:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >