Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

2.7TD cam belt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
daveatcopleigh

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4
2.7TD cam belt

Found this on anither forum - cant beleve it - but cant find info on belt change or even if this engine has belts ?

Thursday Reply with quoteYesterday i got the chance to drive a disco 3 for a lenthy period.I must say i was more than impressed.All the stories i have heard about the car being heavy and a bit sluggish i found held no truth to them.The response from the peddle was impressive and the ride was first class.I found the engine to be quieter than the 3.0 as fitted to the X5 and RangeRover,and certaintly a better drive than the X5.Imagine my shock and dissapointment when mentioning the disco to a friend in the know with Land Rover,i was told that as a second hand buy i should walk away as the engine would require a cambelt change at 96,000 mls,no problem i thought this would be the sought of mileage i was expecting to pick up one of the diesals on be it Disco or RR sport.But what i didnt know was that the 2.7 has cambelts front and rear,so in order to do a cambelt change requires full engine and gearbox removal or at worst body off.Imagine the prospect for some one who suffers a snapped belt with the vechile being out of warranty.Not onlt would they have to contend with the cost of engine damage,but also the added extra cost of labour with engine and gearbox removal.It doesnt leave you with much scope as a second hand buy.

>> Edited by BLUETHUNDER on Thursday 2nd March 22:20

Post #455704th Mar 2006 12:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thought it had chains? Confused i'll look into it later Wink

Post #455724th Mar 2006 12:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
daveatcopleigh

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Yep "or at worst body off." makes me think this poorly researched scare mongering
But would like to know for shore

Post #455734th Mar 2006 12:49 pm
kebab

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

It has 2 belts, front is for the cams and rear is for the fuel pump.
The manual shows the real belt being changed in situe so i wouldnt think the engine would have too come out for that, the rear belt is also not timed so i would assume a break would not damage the engine.

Post #455834th Mar 2006 2:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >