Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

windscreen cracked
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
zen123

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

crews control wrote:
Silly question, but do the OEM screens have a number or mark on them so people can check that's what they are getting? I was promised my new one was an OEM but there's nothing on it which indicates it's an LR product and the heated elements are looking a little different to me - or is it just cleaner?

Confused

The original screen from factory has Landrover logo & some other words printed on the lbottom left hand corner. I just had my windscreen replaced, didn't ask for an OEM screen but the screen Autoglass fitted seems to be of good quality. Off the top of my head I think it was branded Solartron or something like that. Not had a chance to test if the heated elements work as we haven't had any frost but the actual elements are fairly inconspicuous def not any worse than the LR screen.

The chap also replaced the A Pillar mouldings for 2 brand new ones without me asking for it.

Post #43775113th Mar 2009 2:40 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thank you for that zen, I think I've been tricked again by Autoglass who insisted they would fit an OEM screen. I wasn't there to watch them do it, but the heated elements are definitely thicker and the ribbon cables that connect both sides won't remain hidden as before. Looks like I'm driving through the gates!!!
Shocked
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #43780413th Mar 2009 4:46 pm
zen123

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Crews Control I see that you're in Hants. So am I. Which branch of Autoglass did your windscreen. Mine was Bracknell branch. The guy who worked on mine had obviously done a lot of D3s before bcoz he knew exactly what he was doing right down to telling me that the A pillar clips/poppers have to be replaced with new ones. But he went further & replace the whole A pillar housing, genuine LR ones aswell. Did a great job no exposed cables or anything

Post #43791213th Mar 2009 8:57 pm
NJF

Good thread: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic15473.html

Thumbs Up

Post #43791813th Mar 2009 9:07 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked Crews, that was the other bit I forgot to mention, the contact strips on COPY SCREENS do NOT get covered by the internal trim. Whatever they say, the OEM will have Landrover on it. I would'nt have the copy as the elements are massive and in ya face, Autoglass did'nt care if I insisted on OEM, they just need extra time to order it up.

Dont be fooled by Copy screens. Insist on like for like

Post #43793513th Mar 2009 9:23 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Zen: No it wasn't Bracknell... I won't say on here exactly where just yet because I might take this further and they specifically lied to me. I was also concerned about the clips for the a-pillar's and can now see that the broken ones have been fixed with that black mastic stuff! - v.unhappy

Mac: That's exactly right the contact strips do show (I thought it was just me being fussy)... only a little, but because they're yellow it stands out.

Thanks for the advice - I wish I could of been there when they fitted it - you want to trust them.

Evil or Very Mad
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #43804814th Mar 2009 12:06 am
mallo

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Having recently purchased a 2005 discovery and having read this post, I thought I would check the heated front screen, but its currently not cold enought so I was wondering if there is an easy way to test the screen i.e measure the current flowing when the screen is on (what should it be?)

The screen steamed a bit today when I got in the car with damp clothes on so I switched on the heated screen and it started to clear but not very evenly is this normal or is this a sign that the screen isn't heating correctly? I am surposed to still be in warranty (was told at sale still had a year of extra warranty left)

Thanks for any help Bow down

Post #43805614th Mar 2009 12:30 am
TrueBlue

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Window

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Shocked Crews, that was the other bit I forgot to mention, the contact strips on COPY SCREENS do NOT get covered by the internal trim. Whatever they say, the OEM will have Landrover on it. I would'nt have the copy as the elements are massive and in ya face, Autoglass did'nt care if I insisted on OEM, they just need extra time to order it up.

Dont be fooled by Copy screens. Insist on like for like

Hi MacLeod 313 and all,

I have just come off the phone with Autoglass who informed me that my windscreen replacement will be Pilkington OEM but wont have the landrover bagde on it but other than that it is exactly the same as what is in it now. I also mentioned about using new clips to which i was told no you wont get them as you dont need them. How did you go about this, the girl i spoke with in Stirling really wasnt interested in listening to me or helping me at all, any advice appreciated on how it went with you,
cheers
TrueBlue
 2006 Discovery3 HSE TDV6
BIG BLACK BEASTY 

Post #44169220th Mar 2009 5:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >