Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Cheap boot liner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SN

Cheap boot liner

Not happy at spending LR prices for a boot liner to protect my folded 3rd row seats from dirt and the dogs I've come up with a simple solution.

Went down to the local Garden Centre and bought a 2m x 1.25m chunk of black Butyl Pond Liner which I will cut to fit! Cost me just £20 and MUST be waterproof! Wink

I'll post some photos went its all cut to shape and fitted.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4343021st Feb 2006 1:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

.... and you could always use the offcuts for a 'made to measure' gimp mask Shocked Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #4343421st Feb 2006 2:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

There are regularly liners appearing on EBAY, they go for around £30, I have one and it is excellent.

Post #4343721st Feb 2006 2:22 pm
SN

But here's where I think my £20 specimen works quite well...

I'll leave it in all the time. When I need the rear seats, I just roll it up!

Anyway - here it is, in place - cut down, its just a 130cm x 133cm sheet
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)  

Last edited by SN on 21st Feb 2006 2:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4344221st Feb 2006 2:58 pm
SN

Double Post Deleted
Added - apologies for the photo quality - the 6822 is cr*p

Last edited by SN on 21st Feb 2006 3:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4344321st Feb 2006 2:58 pm
SN

10forcash wrote:
.... and you could always use the offcuts for a 'made to measure' gimp mask Shocked Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Freudian comment perhaps? Wink Mrs 10 know something we don't? Wink Or just hitting the red wine a trifle early today.... Laughing Laughing Wink
Post #4344521st Feb 2006 3:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hmm, sent you a PM.

Post #4344621st Feb 2006 3:02 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Used to install liners on 70 cubic metre tanks - had to find something to do with the offcuts Whistle Embarassed
You'd be amazed at who'd buy them Wink

Post #4344821st Feb 2006 3:04 pm
Bogblaster

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I have the original LR bootliner and find it bloody hard to remove to use the 3rd row of seats. Last week I bought a new puppy, whose stomach currently doesnt agree with my driving Crying or Very sad After having had to remove a dog cage and the liner 3 times in one day I went surfing and bought a tailor made one from http://www.formula4x4.com/bootliners.htm It arrived the following day is a perfect fit with a good sized lip all the way around so any spills (or pukes) are contained and it is flexible enough that you can kink the edges and pull it straight out.

Oh yeah, the best bit.....including delivery £39.90 I would recommend it to anyone. It can also, albeit a bit bulky, be squashed behind the 3rd row for those times when you suddenly need them.
 D4 HSE Luxury SDV6,
Cameras, tow assist
Defender 90 Adventure
A4 Avant 3.0l TDI Twisted Evil
CLUB MTR
CLUB BLACK ALLOY
CLUB FFRR RIMS
CLUB VREDESTEIN WINTRAC 4 EXTREME 

Post #4490528th Feb 2006 9:33 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Don’t buy Butyl I have loads of the stuff. We use it to line water tanks. Got off cuts that could cover a disco3. I use it the same way in the back it stops the dog hairs going down the gaps etc.

I can also vulcanise it in to items of clothing if required. Shocked

If anyone wants some off cuts FOC pm me and I will post the bits out FOC to UK addresses. Wink
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #450231st Mar 2006 3:01 pm
SN

AndrewS wrote:
Don’t buy Butyl I have loads of the stuff. We use it to line water tanks. Got off cuts that could cover a disco3. I use it the same way in the back it stops the dog hairs going down the gaps etc.

I can also vulcanise it in to items of clothing if required. Shocked

If anyone wants some off cuts FOC pm me and I will post the bits out FOC to UK addresses. Wink
You need a 1250mm square piece to complete cover the back with some lapping up the edges to catch, err... spillages.

The off cut from my 2m piece is just right to lay on the back off the 2nd row seats too when they're folded down
Post #450261st Mar 2006 3:40 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have the LR flexible canvas-like boot liner that comes with gloves in a little pocket and suckers that stick to the window. It extends to cover the entire boot with second row flat.

Works a treat and but being LR it wasnt cheap. On reflection the options here would probably have done just as well - I mean, how expensive are a pair of gardening gloves?

Dealer must have caught me on a bad day. Embarassed
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #450321st Mar 2006 4:00 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I found that 1.5m wide x 1.8m long is best as you can trap the Butyl under the inner wheel arch trim on each side, and the extra length I use to protect the lower tail gate door when the dog jumps up with muddy feet. Wink
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #450621st Mar 2006 6:42 pm
tucker_j

England 

Thanks for that link Bogblaster. It would appear the Thule roofbar system is now available for the D3. I already have the 135mm bars from my D2 so with a new footpack and fitting kit I'm all set. Cheaper than the LR bars and my Thule roofbox will fit without further modification (which is necessary for the rediciously wide bars LR supply)

Well pleased !

Post #450641st Mar 2006 6:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >