DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Installing 2nd battery ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Installing 2nd battery ?

Hi,

in order to prevent potential problems caused by low voltage in low temperatures (as we may sometimes maybe have in Finland), I've been considering to install 2nd battery to the spare space on the left in the engine department.

How do you see, would it just be OK to do it this way:

- first measure distance of the battery (depth, height, lenght)
- then go and buy the best quality heavy duty 12 V battery that the dealer has for off road or marine use that fits to the measured space
- use solid medal parts to assemble the battery well
- route the min. 4 mm (50 A) cables to be invisible but as short as possible
- connect those 2 batteries: + pole to + and minus pole to minus (parallel)

2nd battery space looks big enough to put some 60-75 mAh battery to it.

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #4324920th Feb 2006 5:54 pm
macstech

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Have a look at:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1142&highlight=

"- first measure distance of the battery (depth, height, lenght) "
The Optima yellow top fits perfectly into the aux-battery compartment.

"- use solid medal parts to assemble the battery well"
Have a look at the bracket from the main battery. The assembly is esealy rebuild. There are even bolts in the base of the aux-batt compartment.

"- route the min. 4 mm (50 A) cables to be invisible but as short as possible"
I used 35mm cable to connect the both batteries with an isolator. This enables me to use the second battery for start backup. The cable for the

"- connect those 2 batteries: + pole to + and minus pole to minus (parallel)"
THIS WILL NOT WORK! Do not do it!
1. nothing goes to the minus pole but only to the chassis ground.
2. Charging will not work this way and can destroy the batteries.
You will need to use a batterie isolator. This distributes the charge voltage correctly. And prevents the main batterie to get drained.
I have used a SurePower battery isolator. This one has a feature where the aux battery can be connected to the starting batt in case of main batterie problems. (Therefore the 35mm cable)
And please: fuses, fuses!
My setup works very well since abt. one year.

If you need more detailed information please ask.
Please excuse my English.

Post #4327320th Feb 2006 7:25 pm
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Thanks !

Thanks for the hint. The problem seem to be that how to get such an isolator. Next I'll ask from the different local battery dealers but I doupt that they'll know anything at the end.. Sad

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #4350721st Feb 2006 8:48 pm
macstech

Offroader,

try to contact:
Urho Tuominen OY
PO Box 9
FIN--28101 Pori
Phone: +35 825 508840

They should be able to help.
Ask for the SurePower SP1315 200A/12 Relais (should be around EUR 127+VAT)
As well you will need the Optima "Yellow Top S4.2L"

In the meantime check http://www.surepower.com and http://www.optima-batteries.com/

Post #4357822nd Feb 2006 7:25 am
watteau

United Arab Emirates 

Macstech,

Please can you post a list of all the component parts for your dual battery setup including the voltmeter and accessory socket in the rear. Please include even the smallest part.

I think that your setup charges automatically when the primary battery reaches its ideal voltage, if the isolator sees a drop in charge it then switches between the two, is this correct?

What are the switches on the voltmeter panel, please can you post details of the fitting of this, its ideal to run a fridge or air compressor from.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Post #4361122nd Feb 2006 12:23 pm
macstech

Quote:
Please can you post a list of all the component parts for your dual battery setup including the voltmeter and accessory socket in the rear. Please include even the smallest part.

Alex,
how about this: you spend me and my spouse a nice week in Dubai
I bring all the parts+tools and install a nice dual battery system in your D3 !!
Very Happy

Excuse the fun. I will try to post the parts and some hints+pics as soon as time allows.

Quote:
I think that your setup charges automatically when the primary battery reaches its ideal voltage, if the isolator sees a drop in charge it then switches between the two, is this correct?

Exactly!

Quote:
What are the switches on the voltmeter panel, please can you post details of the fitting of this, its ideal to run a fridge or air compressor from.

Switch 1=lamp charge on/off
Switch 2=emergency start (aux battery connected to main batt)
Switch 3=all accessories on/off
These are the switches on the voltmeter panel. There are more switches above the rear mirror, they are for the different appliances.
All connectors are MagCode connectors http://www.magcode.com

Greetings - George

Post #4371022nd Feb 2006 8:40 pm
watteau

United Arab Emirates 

Thanks George, look forward to seeing it, who makes the panel for the switches and the base panel that has these mounted to it?

You wouldn't want to come to Dubai at the moment, it is torrential rain, thunder etc, going to last all day.

But you would be more than welcome in the future, I can inform / book all of the right places for you.

Alex

Post #4377823rd Feb 2006 5:58 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi folks, before you do anything check with Land Rover.

Both the D3 and the Range Rover Sports have an advanced battery charge and power usage monitoring system.

This system has so many interconnected operations and setting up the wrong Dual Battery system can result in system responses that at the time may seem like device failures but are actually self protection operations.

To give you an idea of what can happen, if you have the wrong set up and try to recharge the wrong type of battery you may have something as simple as the sound system turning off or as major as the air suspension compressor being shut down.

Also as the two vehicles run Calcium/Lead Calcium batteries, the charging system is optimised to charge these types of batteries and can supply charge voltages of between 13.5 volts and 15.7 volts. This 15.7 volts is way too high for many other types of batteries and will result in the shortening of the auxiliary battery’s operating life.

There is a lot more to the way these vehicles work but this will give you some idea of what is involved so take care.

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #4379223rd Feb 2006 9:58 am
watteau

United Arab Emirates 

drivesafe wrote:
Hi folks, before you do anything check with Land Rover.

Both the D3 and the Range Rover Sports have an advanced battery charge and power usage monitoring system.

This system has so many interconnected operations and setting up the wrong Dual Battery system can result in system responses that at the time may seem like device failures but are actually self protection operations.

To give you an idea of what can happen, if you have the wrong set up and try to recharge the wrong type of battery you may have something as simple as the sound system turning off or as major as the air suspension compressor being shut down.

Also as the two vehicles run Calcium/Lead Calcium batteries, the charging system is optimised to charge these types of batteries and can supply charge voltages of between 13.5 volts and 15.7 volts. This 15.7 volts is way too high for many other types of batteries and will result in the shortening of the auxiliary battery’s operating life.

There is a lot more to the way these vehicles work but this will give you some idea of what is involved so take care.

Cheers

Hi Drivesafe,

I have seen a myriad of dual battery systems on the web, I am hoping that you might be able to suggest one that will work for the LR3. I have looked at Piranha, ARB and TJM as possible sources, all with an optima battery, there is an available space under the bonnet, surely I could use a DC to DC conditioner if necessary to reduce the voltage that little bit, whilst I agree with what you are saying LR will definitely be expecting people to add a second battery. Especially in the Australian Markets, if you could shed any further light on this I would appreciate it, at the moment the safest option looks like a xantrex powerpack!!!!! Definitely swapping out the connectors for the magcode though, they look fantastic.

Alex

Post #4414124th Feb 2006 12:24 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Watteau, the very reason I have been able to get at this information is because LRA asked us if we could modify one of our products to meet their requirements for the D3 and RRS.

This we have done and the device was tested by LRA and based on the info gained was submitted to LR in Britain.

At this time I have received verbal approval from LR and LRA for the new unit to be used on D3s and RRSs and while we are waiting for written conformation, we are in the midst of putting together a full kit including the Dual Battery Charge controller, all cables, battery securing bracket and all hardware required to fit a Dual Battery set up with a minimum of effort.

We will not be supplying the battery but we are looking into what type of battery would best suit the purpose.

So if you can wait a short time we should be able to help you.

By the way, the original post was not intended to drum up business, it was purely intended as a heads up on what you should look out for.

Cheers
Post #4415224th Feb 2006 1:05 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

drivesafe... many thanks for the heads up.

A number of members have enquired about these set ups in the past.

-s

Post #4415524th Feb 2006 1:17 pm
watteau

United Arab Emirates 

Drivesafe you are a star, this is just what I need, time is on my side, whichever one I finally decide on RRs or LR3, the solution will be available, I must say that I am more and more inclined towards the LR3 now. I really look forward to seeing the finished product, I have ordered the connectors that macstech has used, I think they are much better.

Don;t know if you are this far ahead, but what are the basics of the system? Digital / Analogue, battery monitoring equipment etc. If possible I would like a meter mounted in the boot, so I can monitor the second battery, exactly the same as macstech. Thanks for the info, if you feel uneasy about posting it here please pm me or pay Martin some sponsorship! Laughing

For what its worth you have not touted for business at all, just stopped me from making a very costly mistake, please pm me with all the details when they are available

Post #4416124th Feb 2006 1:34 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again watteau, I’ll skip the battery set up for now, until I finalise it, it would be better to leave it as is.

As for deciding between an RRS and as you call them, an LR3, I have both a MkIII RR and a D3 but I looked at an RRS before buying the D3.

Now this is just my opinion but RRS is a very requirement specific vehicle while the D3 fills many different requirements. If you have a family then the D3 is definitely the way to go and I personally think the D3 is closer to the RR than the RRS is.

But as I stated above, this is just my opinion.

Cheers
Post #4416324th Feb 2006 1:58 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

drivesafe wrote:
Now this is just my opinion but RRS is a very requirement specific vehicle while the D3 fills many different requirements. If you have a family then the D3 is definitely the way to go and I personally think the D3 is closer to the RR than the RRS is.

But as I stated above, this is just my opinion.

Cheers

Hope the bling boys on the other side don't read that Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

-s

Post #4416424th Feb 2006 2:12 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Drivesafe,
Useful info, I, and i'm sure Slimer as well, would be very interested in your solution Wink

Post #4417624th Feb 2006 2:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >