DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Upgrade of factory audio
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
krisstrue

Poland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Upgrade of factory audio

Hi there,

Is there any way to upgrade the base audio system (single-CD) to a in-dash CD changer available standard in higher models? Any place where I could buy such unit?

Regards,

Kris

Post #4306119th Feb 2006 12:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

There is no official procedure to retrofit all or most factory only options. Any parts can be ordered from your service department, but you will need to find someone willing to attempt the install. There is a level of integration with the vehicle that won't make it simple or cost effective.

If you really only want to play more of your music, invest in a digital music player like an iPod and use the AUX audio input. More music, less trouble.

Post #4306719th Feb 2006 1:20 am
krisstrue

Poland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks - I agree with your suggestions about the ipod.
However one other issue I have is that, at least in my opinion, sound on the base model is a bit flat. I am not an expert - but is there any other way to improve this apart from upgrading the in-dash unit? I would have thought that installation of some amplifire, subwoofer or may be even equalizer could help, but the problem of installation come back.

Is the factory unit connected via some ISO connector which would be easy to re-route or are those generic connectors?

Post #4307219th Feb 2006 7:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

I don't have much familiarity with the base head unit technology... My 6-disc version is connected via MOST (an optical bus) to a special h/k amplifier under the driver's seat and is virtually impossible to "upgrade" and control. There are no analog line level outputs. So, to upgrade the sound output... I'd need to tap (and possibly combine) the existing amplified output, convert it to line level and then attach it to new amplifiers and speakers. (If the equalization is tweaked, a JL CleanSweep might be necessary to convert to line level.)

If you also don't have line output available, you can do the same. If your base unit does less processing, you are probably in a better position than I am...

Any good custom shop should be able to work with you.

Post #4307319th Feb 2006 8:02 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

I agree that the sound is not great in the base car but the chances are the speakers will be the weak link, most head units that play CD will output a good quality signal but poor factory fit speakers will let it down. Changing the head unit will probably only give you a 6 disc changer and you would need the amp and associated wiring which may not be possible to retro-fit. A good car audio dealer will be able to supply drop in replacement speakers and it is worth spending a couple of hundred pounds on this. You could also add an amplified subwoofer without a line-out connector. There are products on the market that tap into the speaker level output. If you go for it please post as I am considering this too!
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #4307419th Feb 2006 9:55 am
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I am borrowing a new HSE from the dealer while mine is being sorted, Ive been snooping around as you do and notice in the back left storage area of the boot is where the subwoofer on the HSE is mounted, in my SE there is a space and what looks like the same connectors just hanging loose.

Could I get hold of a sub and just plug in, also I have a setting for changing the level of my cars subwoofer, where will this be mounted?
Confused
cheers

Car of the Year 2005, 2006 and 2007, Best Large 4x4
Top Gear "Best Car In The World"
4x4 Magazine "Best 4x4 In The World"

2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE Manual, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Powered/Heated Leather, Privacy Glass, Side protection, Parrot CK3200LS Bluetooth Phone Kit, 18" Type 2 Alloys, Bi-Xenons, and Tasmods Stainless Steel sill trims, MANTEC Protection 

Post #11853310th Jan 2007 11:39 pm
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I'm about to upgrade my 'base' audio with the products from here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic8235.html

If you want to have control of what goes out of the base unit you will need a digital signal processor..Not sure if they are avaiable where you are but the best on the market is the Rockfort Fostgate 360.2 you can follow the link above to find out more or just follow this:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/pr...;p_status=

If you want to see what speakers fits in your door etc try:
www.crutchfield.com

Just click on outfit my car, or go to 'car audio and video' and click on 'outfit my car'....You can select your vehicle and it gives you options based on whether u have factory radio then if you have the base or premium audio and navigation......

Ideally i would say go for component speakers but you will need an amplifier to drive them. If you want quality sound, you would have to throw in a subwoofer with an amplifer. I'm having the guys at pretige audio set it up for me..so when that happens i'll be more than willing to post some pics...
Oh for that big space in the dash if u want something to fit try this:
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp7200/

Other than being a thief magnet it plays MP3's via an audio out or using fm frequency..so you can put ure stuff on an sd card. I've bought one and will stick it in..If you want i'll post the pics...

Hope this helps....

Post #11855111th Jan 2007 12:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >