Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

ARB Winch Bumper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
JJ

ARB Disco 3

Hi Boys and Girls,

Indeed the Disco 3 now has its ARB winch bumper bull bar fitted with a Superwinch X9+, double optima batteries and National Luna battery management system. Sertainly is one of the Nicer looking bumpers ARB are currently making. Fitting is not as strait forward as the older disco, wheel arches need to be trimed as do the inner wheel arches.

It is rumoured that Safari Snorkels will be available in the UK shortly and there is a chassis mounted speare wheel carrier too. (Perhaps I can persuade Non stick to model them)

Bye from me
JJ
 JJ  
Post #4342421st Feb 2006 2:30 pm
JimLR3

ARB bumper looks good and seems very strong. Does anyone know how much heavier the ARB bull bumper is over the stock LR bumper? More curious than really having a concern. Also, it looks like it improves the front approach angle.

Post #4345521st Feb 2006 4:41 pm
BN

England 
Re: ARB Disco 3

JJ wrote:
Hi Boys and Girls,

Indeed the Disco 3 now has its ARB winch bumper bull bar fitted with a Superwinch X9+, double optima batteries and National Luna battery management system. Sertainly is one of the Nicer looking bumpers ARB are currently making. Fitting is not as strait forward as the older disco, wheel arches need to be trimed as do the inner wheel arches.

It is rumoured that Safari Snorkels will be available in the UK shortly and there is a chassis mounted speare wheel carrier too. (Perhaps I can persuade Non stick to model them)

Bye from me
JJ

Hello JJ, I have just realised who you are and of course who your father is. What a very small world I will pm you Very Happy but a mutual friend will no doubt will chat with you soon. Take care.

Post #4346921st Feb 2006 5:54 pm
rockjock

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

ARB and Warn 9.5XP on the way!!! Rec'd pdf instructions from ARB here in the states, bar is so new, that they had to request it from down under first. Has anyone installed this bar themselves? if so, any tips? Also any tips or advice with with winch install would be welcome. This install like most things on the D3 is much more complicated than the D2, but the upside is the impact absorbers for the air bags are a direct bolt on to the frame, no drilling required as the D2 does, guess this is why you can use a high lift with this bumper. Can't wait to bolt those Hella's on either, they have been packed away since I traded the D2 for the D3. Thanks.
 was 00 D2 > then 04 D2 > now 05 LR3  
Post #4430125th Feb 2006 6:32 am
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
arb bumper

Rockjock & other follows of this thread.
I now have the D3 back fully fitted tested etc.
This is what I went for in terms of set up.

The ARB winch bumper with my existing super winch x9+ fitted. The winch has a dyneema winch rope, but my billet alluminum hawse did not fit/line up properly, so had to go for the rolled fairlead from a warn 8274.

The D3 battery has been replaced with a Optima red top & the winch runs from a yellow top which is in the box next to the ABS brake thingy do dad.

A battery management system has been installed behind the new battery to sort this lot out. It allows split charge, separate use plus combination of the batteries when wanted.

I have a remote operated winch cut out. The unit is under the bumper next to the winch and is operated from the driver seat.

The main solenoid control block is the sealed one from Allbright, mounted behind the grill.

The vehicle is due to feature in a forth coming edition of Land Rover Enthusiast Magazine, so your eyes peeled.

When stowing the cable, I attach the hook through the high lift jack point and tension. Quite neat.

There is an access hole on the top surface of the bumper to allow for operation of the free spool lever. I think I will be enlarging this slightly in the future along with the slots that allow a view of the drum & cable.

I do have a front mounted camera system to aid in this department but that is still boxed after taking off from the D2.

Although I have the remote winch control plug on the grill, I seldom use this. I normally use a Lodar radio remote which in mounted in the engine bay.

That's about it really. If you see the vehicle out & about & would like to know more or have a demo, don't hesitate to come over & say hello.

Regards
Non Stick Nick

p.s. I would like to express my thanks to JJ (my son) and his employers ( Frogs ISland 4x4) for their assistance in finding & fitting this kit. Even SWMBO likes the look of it and that can't be bad, can it?.
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #4430525th Feb 2006 8:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >