Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Turbo Intercooler Hose
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
FamilyMan

Turbo Intercooler Hose

An update regards the incident some weeks ago where the air hose connected to the intercooler came off resulting in huge power loss and billowing black smoke out of the exhausts Sad .

LR assist did a quick fix but recommended having the intercooler changed because it looked as though the hose had been overtightened resulting in a distorted intercooler connection pipe. He did a great job fixing the hose back on and the hose held for many weeks until the dealer had the new parts Smile .

Dropped the car off and confirmed the work that needed doing with the dealer. Wife picked up the car in the afternoon, drove half a mile and as she was driving up the on-ramp for the motorway the hose blew off again Evil or Very Mad . Bang, black smoke, the lot. The dealer rescued my wife off the hard shoulder and drove the car back, billowing black smoke, back to the dealer Sad .

Turns out the dealer hasn't replaced the intercooler...just the hose Evil or Very Mad . The dealer explains that the intercooler isn't damaged and that the distorted pipe is meant to be that way....it's a new design feature!!! Shocked . They have now fixed the hose on with several jubalee clips and have assured me it's good to go.

What would you make of all that, should I accept this explanation and fix? Confused
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #227214th Apr 2005 9:46 am
Ecosse

Could you post a picture of exactly which hose is the issue & will check how this compares with mine? This seems like just another example of inconsistent advice from LR & its team, and then their classic fall-back of "its really meant to be like that anyway" which has been used by them as an "explanation" for defects/faults Wink

Post #227414th Apr 2005 10:24 am
BN

England 

Ecosse wrote:
Could you post a picture of exactly which hose is the issue & will check how this compares with mine? This seems like just another example of inconsistent advice from LR & its team, and then their classic fall-back of "its really meant to be like that anyway" which has been used by them as an "explanation" for defects/faults Wink

Ecosse read my latest post

Post #227914th Apr 2005 10:38 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

FamilyMan - can you put photos of the distorted pipe in the gallery or e-mail to me, sounds like a 'new' issue to be posted, and photos would help Smile

Martin

Post #228814th Apr 2005 1:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

It seems from what the LR assistance guy told me that this is one of the most common call outs!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #229514th Apr 2005 1:49 pm
BN

England 

An intercooler is to reduce heat without getting anymore technical. You may get a very minor distortion of the pipe where the hose fixes on, but when you say the dealer has used more than one jubilee clip it sounds a little bit suspect to me. Are you sure it is the intercooler down by the side of the radiator? In fact the intercooler looks as if it is underneath the rad. Are you refering to the plastic connector on the air filter?

Post #229814th Apr 2005 3:23 pm
FamilyMan

Yes it's the intercooler, it has a pipe at its base that a rubber hose slips onto and a jubilee clip holds it in place...Now don't get jealous 'cos I've got two Very Happy

You access it by raising the suspension to full height and removing the black cover under the front bumper, it's on the passenger side. You can see it through the wheel arch if it's hanging off.
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #236715th Apr 2005 9:45 am
BN

England 

Many thanks, another little hidy hole located.

Post #239815th Apr 2005 1:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >