Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Tailgate lock won't unlock - anyone had this problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Tailgate lock won't unlock - anyone had this problem?

Hi all,

The LR bug has struck again today.

My tailgate will not open anymore. The Dealer checked it and told me the solenoid is still working but something else is not working or is not connected anymore. Anyone else had this problem?

The manual provides you with an emergency opening procedure but that doesn't do anything to help the tailgate open.

My biggest problem is that the D3 has rear storage system bolted in and it cannot be removed unless the tailgate is open. The dealer's mechanics will need to get into the back to remove the trim from the tailgate. Even if the storage box is unbolted and pulled forward you will need to be a contortionist to get over the top and into the back Rolling Eyes .

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #4215813th Feb 2006 5:57 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I've had it on mine....seems to be that actual lock mechanism gets stuck... a bit of oil in the lock 'jaws' did the tric for me Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #4216613th Feb 2006 8:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

turbochip wrote:
I've had it on mine....seems to be that actual lock mechanism gets stuck... a bit of oil in the lock 'jaws' did the tric for me Wink

How did you get it open?

I've had a look and tried to pull trim off from inside but got too scared of breaking stuff. Better let the dealer break it instead of me.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #4217913th Feb 2006 10:25 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi Chris,
What type of rear storage system have you got.

Post #4219613th Feb 2006 11:53 am
PCH

RichardK wrote:
Hi Chris,
What type of rear storage system have you got.

Richard,

Storage system is custom made out of Qubeloc (Capral Aluminium). Knocked it up myself.

You can find some pics of it in my Gallery in the AULRO forum. Page 6 of the Gallery under PCH.

Chris

Post #4229113th Feb 2006 9:35 pm
PCH

For those interested in why my tailgate would not release.

The cable to the lock has broken.

The dealer has to replace the lock and cable but none are available in Australia Crying or Very sad . The dealer has asked LRA for on from a vehicle in stock. Hope to get my D3 back on the road.

Does "no stock" mean this is a rare failure? Hope so.

Chris

Post #4249915th Feb 2006 9:05 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

'No stock' usually means that they dont have any spare parts because they are making and selling so many vehicles and LR's component suppliers cant keep up with demand Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #4250215th Feb 2006 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ian franklin

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had my tailgat lock up. The actuator went. This could be caused by pressing the landrover button too many time and therefore overheating.

LR had a job reopening both tailgates and replacing (All under that magical warrenty)

Post #4256315th Feb 2006 8:39 pm
PCH

ian franklin wrote:
Had my tailgat lock up. The actuator went. This could be caused by pressing the landrover button too many time and therefore overheating.

LR had a job reopening both tailgates and replacing (All under that magical warrenty)

My dealer had to cut a hole in the carpeted trim near the lock to get access to the lock. I've now got trim with a big square hole cut into it. New trim is on order from the UK. You would think that they would have used the trim from the donor vehicle where they got the lock and cable from to save me another visit. Twisted Evil

Chris

Post #4258316th Feb 2006 6:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >