Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Auto gear box noises and transmission thumps.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Auto gear box noises and transmission thumps.

My D3 HSE auto has just returned from a 3 1/2 day rest in the local LR dealer. The first problem was steering pulling to the left. The car has been retracked front and rear? Will see the results on next long run. However there is a noise from the gear box, particularly in Command transmission mode whereby there is a dry rasping, hissing or scratching noise on relatively light throttle. It is easily obtained and the techie agrees that it is there. He says that they have another auto in the place which makes the same noise. The noise is not loud but it is unmistakable. A bit like two sheets of fine sandpaper rubbing together. It can just be heard under some circumstances in Auto mode.
Second problem is a thump from the transmission in Command mode. i.e. when moving up the box there is a very obvious thump, it is not there in the auto mode. Anyone had similar or any sugestions as to the problem. Thanks.

Post #417919th Feb 2006 8:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Maybe nothing to do with it, but there is Tech service Bulletin - Hissing/Rasping Noise From LHR of Vehicle - Reference: LA204-004 (1) Folder: 204 - Suspension Systems

This is on the Land Rover GTR site, maybe someone with a subscription could have a look at this one?

Post #417939th Feb 2006 8:23 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth, from memory, that relates to the compressor air intake silencer becoming disconnected from the air ducting

Post #417999th Feb 2006 8:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

He said rasping and hissing, so 2+2 =4 Wink Sorry, I'll get me hat, I'm acting like a service tech. Computer sez naahhh Whistle

Post #418299th Feb 2006 11:17 pm
Limpopo

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Thump

Can't help with the sandpaper, but could the thump in cmd shift be another electronic problem? Have you experienced the thump in full auto when slowing to a stop street and then accelerating? I think I read about this on an earlier post.
All I can say is that I had this identical problem from new on a BMW 530, with ZF auto. I put up with it for a year or two - it was so infrequent - then got angry.
BMW put in a new chip, problem fixed. It never returned for the following ten years.
 Must look at it from the bright side...  
Post #4238114th Feb 2006 4:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Transmission thumps.

Hello Limpopo,
Thanks for the post and comments. You have descibed the problem exactly. I had not thought of the problem being electronic. I assumed mechanical (slack in drive system, perhaps?) Visit to dealer on Monday which I suspect will be interesting.

Post #4303018th Feb 2006 2:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >