Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Dealer fit bluetooth kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Paul Lisseter

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Dealer fit bluetooth kit

I have a 2005 MY V8 HSE D3 which does not have the bluetooth phone integration fitted. I see a bluetooth accessory kit can be fitted by the dealer but I can't find out what it includes.
I would prefer the LR kit rather than a 3rd party kit so long as it meets my needs. I only need to call back to the office or receive calls from them when I am driving. I don't need to access the phone's contact book but it would help if I could use the radio buttons to manually type in a number from time to time. I need full hands free and caller ID would be usefull but not essential. External aerial is important too.

Does any one know what the dealer fit kit includes or if ther is a LR spec sheet?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Post #415398th Feb 2006 8:41 am
MVS

Dealer fit bluetooth gives you pick up and hand up buttons on side of steering wheel. and voice control for dialing, / & cars phone book entries, oh and stereo auto mute.

On an 'S' with no sat nav the numeric keypad cannot be used for dialing, I assume this is the same in an SE & HSE. However you may be able to dial from the sat nav screen depending on the phone. Winger or one of the other guys I'm sure will be able to check this.

I am fairly certain your phones, phone book entries cannot be accessd unless the phone is in the cradle, (not bluetoothed) but the car voice control allows it's own phne book entries.

Hope this helps, my 'S' dealer PTI kit worked OK and is invisible as far as fit is concerned, the factory fit is better, and cheaper as dealer fit is approx£400 + labour, comes out upwards of £5-600, so a parrot kit is as good & a lot cheaper if a bit more obvious.

Post #415408th Feb 2006 8:54 am
grommet

United States 

MVS wrote:
However you may be able to dial from the sat nav screen depending on the phone. Winger or one of the other guys I'm sure will be able to check this.
You can never dial from the Navigation screen. It's not a feature, even with factory PTI. (Unless you mean dialing a phone number stored for a Navigation Point of Interest.)  
Post #416928th Feb 2006 10:40 pm
Paul Lisseter

Will Try

Thanks for the advice. I actually found a new Nokia 6230. Will give the dealer fit a try.

Post #4193510th Feb 2006 9:02 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I missed this one, and I seem to be implicated. Anything I can add?

Post #4194110th Feb 2006 10:12 pm
andyb

My dealer has quoted me £299 plus vat to have the bluetooth kit fitted. He doesn't seem to know what functionality that this will give. As I seem to understand it from various posts is that you get a red and green button on the steering wheel, the stereo is auto muted and the volume can be controlled from the steering wheel. What I am unsure about is that when you receive an incoming call do you have to have sight of your phones screen to see who is calling. To make calls how do you enter the number. I beleive that you can enter numbers into the cars voice activation system and use this to make calls. Does anyone know how reliable this is ? Hopefully somebody knows the definitive answers to these points. Many Thanks
 TDV6 HSE Java Black
Alpaca Interior
Side Chrome Bars
Rear Privacy Glass 

Post #4196711th Feb 2006 11:40 am
MVS

Yes you do need sight of your phone to see who is calling in.
You can dial numbers on your phone directly (if it is in a holder).
Or the whole point of the kit is voice dialling, either numbers directly, or by pre storing them in the cars memory, you simply ask it to dial the name directly.
As to reliability the voice dialling works well for most people, sometines it is less reliable depending on the kit the voice is set to use, as a womans voice on the kit seems to work better for a male driver, and visa versa. My wife had a job getting it to respond to her but it was 99% reliable for me.

Post #4196811th Feb 2006 12:03 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

the incoming 'phone number comes up on the radio display on mine....
Factory fit BT kit though - might make a difference

Post #4197011th Feb 2006 12:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MVS

Yup and mine was only in an 05' 'S' so different stereo and no nav screen.I currently have the factory kit in my new one & a 6230 in the cradle.

Post #4197311th Feb 2006 12:23 pm
wazza

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Blue tooth kit Nokia

http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,72950,00.html works great in aux in dash best arround as i have had few has a charger retractable also!!!!!

Post #4229613th Feb 2006 9:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Wazza, that kit looks really good. Does it fit the D3 ok as the power socket is awkwardly placed ? Also where did you buy the kit and how much was it ?
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #4244314th Feb 2006 9:36 pm
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If you're going to have the LR dealer fit a bluetooth kit, make sure it's the LR one they're fitting. A week after getting my D3, I had the local dealer fit a handsfree (for £425!!!) and on collection it was the biggest load of crap I ever had ('Parrot' or something). I delivered the system back to the dealer three days later, nicely packaged in a somerfield carrier bag, and demanded a full refund. Because it was not LR, none of the proper fittings were used, instead the wires had been wrapped around things and insulated with various ancient bits of selotape and masking tape - an absolute discrace to say the least. I then went and bought the proper Nokia kit, with cradle (not bluetooth) for £125 and fitted it myself - took about 2 hours to fit the 4 or 5 wires. System now works a dream, and charges the phone up just by plonking it into the cradle. To finish the job off, I bought a custom fit bracket for D3s to hold the cradle from www.dashmount.co.uk which did the job a treat. System mutes the radio, uses the radio speakers for sound output etc. Jobs a gooden'
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #4357322nd Feb 2006 12:27 am
Paul Lisseter

Got it fitted

Finally got the LR kit fitted by the local dealer.

Kit comprised a bluetooth kit and a voice control module. So far it works very well. There is no chance of using a cradle or the screens/buttons but so far the voice control works perfectly. It mutes the audio when call made or received, provides the call answer and call end buttons on the steering wheel. It allows voice dialling by speaking the number to dial and also allows a voice operated phone book to be built up so that a number can be assigned a name and dialled by commanding the name. the whole voice thing works very well indeed. So far no problems hearing me and understanding instructions. Have demonstrated this extensively to wife and four daughters

Best solution so far seems to be to put phone in left central cup holder to see phone screen as necessary.

Generally the kit seems good if expensive. Seems silly not to have the dealer kit include all features of the factory kit though.

Thanks everyone who replied

Post #4357922nd Feb 2006 7:39 am
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Let us know how good the voice control is when you have the whole screaming family in the car with added road noise! ....get used to those immortal words - "command not recognised, please try again...."
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #4360522nd Feb 2006 10:38 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Dealer wouldnt even consider retrofitting the LR version on mine.

Instead I have an SE unit - voice dial is over the handset via mike near mirror rather than the LR, and the the phone anounces the caller by voice when someone rings if the number has been pre-regsitered.

It's a solution...

I kicked the Parrot in to touch before it had chance to squawk Twisted Evil
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #4361222nd Feb 2006 11:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >