Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help Anyone - I Need advice on EGR Valves
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wax man

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Help Anyone - I Need advice on EGR Valves

Help Anyone - I have just had a major shock following a 75,000mile service the other day on my 3 yr old D3. It had to have front ball joints and track rod arms replaced. After paying a huge bill to Landrover I was mightily alarmed today to discover an engine vibration coming through the hole car (shaking my now empty wallet). I went straight back to the dealership who plugged it into their "super Brain" which said that one EGR valve has failed and the other is on its way out - at another ridiculously high cost - they will replace them both for me.
Firstly, I am not sure if this will remove the problem, i.e. make the engine run smoothly in that the dodgy valves have caused this vibration. If they have cuased it (and Landrover are not teling me fibs), can I blank them with them being faulty? Also will this blanking stop the vibration? Can someone give me any advice, the wife is complaining that the vibration is causing the phone cradle to rock!!
Thanks,
Smile Wax Man
 Yes it is the best 4x4 by far 

Last edited by wax man on 27th Nov 2008 12:25 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #37956926th Nov 2008 11:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Faulty egr will usually cause a big loss of power. Vibration could be something else. can you give any more information on the vibration? low / high frequency? only when accelerating? etc........

Post #37962427th Nov 2008 12:23 am
wax man

Hi Gareth,
Car vibrates at tickover, low resonance vibration, as you gently accellerate up to about 1500rpm the vibration becomes greater, and engine sounds lumpy. Have noticed slight increase in fuel usage, i.e. not getting as many mpg. Does that help? Stratstone did the computer test in front of me and it came back with this diagnosis of one valve out and other on way out.
Thanks.
Post #37965027th Nov 2008 12:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They are probably right. Many on here have blanked the egr's. Simple to do. Have a search for info.

Post #37965227th Nov 2008 12:57 am
wax man

Thanks Gareth, I have read through I.Moore's bit on this, wish I could get the pictures though - for some reason they will not view for me. Was just not sure if you could still blank them off if one is already knackered?
Post #37965527th Nov 2008 1:02 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I dont know what happened to jmoores pictures, but I think the only difficult bit is not dropping the screws down the side of the engine.

Post #37965727th Nov 2008 1:05 am
wax man

OK thank's i will have a go at the weekend and see what happens
Post #37966227th Nov 2008 1:11 am
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
I dont know what happened to jmoores pictures, but I think the only difficult bit is not dropping the screws down the side of the engine.

I just did my egr blanking. Car would not start first time most mornings even in warm weather and now that is OK Smile I stuffed a piece of foam in the gap beside the egr, when I removed the screws and used a flexible grabber to hold the screw before I removed the socket spanner from the screw. That job was OK but when doing the butterfly I firstly dropped the socket off the ratchet and FINALLY located it on the engine behind the lower pulleys, retrieved it with a magnet on a stick Mad When removing the butterfly motor the torx driver dropped and I had to remove a lower bash plate to retrieve it Big Cry Should've had more foam in place Embarassed
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #37971327th Nov 2008 9:29 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

WaxMan, take a look in DiscoEast's galley for pictures, JMoores gallery seems to have up and disappeared like RonP's did
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #37976227th Nov 2008 11:32 am
wax man

Thank's MR H i took a look at his pictures i have a bit more of an idea of what to do know i think. Neutral
Post #38041328th Nov 2008 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >