Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Slick 50 Teflon Oil Treatment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Slick 50 Teflon Oil Treatment

Another technical issue related to lubricants.

Recently I used Slick 50 Teflon Treatment in my wife 240 GL Volvo - an old one - on the recommendation of a fairly smart engineer that does some work on my vehicles. His point of view was that the claims of Slick 50 to "bond" to the metal etc were garbage however it would quieten down the valve train and the engine would run better. This is exactly what has happened.

Now the TDV6 has a "sintered iron" construction and I was wondering if given the porous nature of the block whether Slick 50 might be worth while putting in the motor. Possible issues that I could see with the product are that the Turbo lubrication might not like it and/or using it too early might cause problems bedding the rings in properly. Rather interestingly when aircraft engines are rebuilt one of the issues that causes poor engine life is not running them in properly and in fact the requirements for those engines are to run them at quite high cylinder pressures and power outputs to make sure they bed in properly. Then to change the oil from a thin bedding in oil to normal oil at a specified changeover interval.

Anyone got any comments ?

Post #3884724th Jan 2006 7:52 am
BN

England 

I wouldn't do it with the D3, but I have in old Landy's. Modern engines are somewhat different.

Post #3885924th Jan 2006 10:04 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Slick 50 Teflon Oil Treatment

Vo Rogue wrote:
Rather interestingly when aircraft engines are rebuilt one of the issues that causes poor engine life is not running them in properly and in fact the requirements for those engines are to run them at quite high cylinder pressures and power outputs to make sure they bed in properly. Then to change the oil from a thin bedding in oil to normal oil at a specified changeover interval.

Anyone got any comments ?
I've never been convinced that the 'running in period' of a vehicle engine is beneficial, used to work for a company that overhauled generators, it was standard practice to run them at max load once the operating temperature had been reached, we never had any problems and got quite a few jobs sorting out lightly loaded engines, usually a decoke and deglaze sorted them out. I'd be wary of anything that may potentially affect the lubrication of the turbo... it is the hottest part of the engine after all Wink  
Post #3887524th Jan 2006 10:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I rebuilt the engine on my 2a a year ago. My running in period consisted of;

1. 30 minutes warm up to check for leaks
2. Fix the leaks.
3. 50 Mile drive at low speed
4. Drop the oil, and replace with running in oil
5. 500 miles at normal speeds, avoiding excessive revs, but used the torque of the engine as much as possible on hills
6. Another oil change.

The engine now runs very nicely, and uses no oil, which is good for a 1966 engine.

Post #3887924th Jan 2006 10:38 am
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Using the Torque on the hills while neither lugging or over reving is exactly what will keep the pressures high. Is running in oil still available in the UK because I have not seen it here in Australia/New Zealand for a very long time other than the Aero Engine stuff?

Post #3908224th Jan 2006 10:36 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

not seen it for a while but not looked... Rolling Eyes it should be available, although we used to make our own with 5% kero Shocked to the oil recommended for the engine *note I am not suggesting anyone uses this - historical (hysterical?) comment only*

Post #3908524th Jan 2006 10:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It is available, its made by Millers oils, and comes under their "Classic" brand. I get it from Moss, who are a nationwide distributor of British sports car spares, I get my MG bits from them.

Post #3911225th Jan 2006 12:09 am
Paul W

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Running in

I have just picked my disco3 SE Auto 2days ago. I'm going to keep the revs low. Can anybody tell me any tricks on running in, as I might keep the Disco along time.

Post #3950827th Jan 2006 12:19 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Take it easy for few thousand miles, get an oil and filter change done before the first service, I changed mine at 7.5k
 The End  
Post #3951727th Jan 2006 10:17 am
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
Re: Running in

Paul W wrote:
I have just picked my disco3 SE Auto 2days ago. I'm going to keep the revs low. Can anybody tell me any tricks on running in, as I might keep the Disco along time.
DRIVE IT AS YOU MEAN TO GO ON Laughing  
Post #3982029th Jan 2006 7:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >