Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Instaling a Ipod in LR3, can this be done ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
steff

Denmark 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Instaling a Ipod in LR3, can this be done ?

Hello,

Anyone tried to instal a Ipod through the stereo of a LR3 HSE ? Are there any kits on the market for this purpose ?

Thanks !

Post #3775416th Jan 2006 7:25 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi Steff, welcome to the site

Use the Search facility, you'll find loads on iPod installations

Si
 The End  
Post #3775716th Jan 2006 7:37 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hello Steff,

The thread http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph...p;start=30 , for example, has suggestions and some photos.

I'll be trying it myself, once my D3 has arrived.

Eric

Post #3783217th Jan 2006 12:42 am
grommet

United States 

And before you get confused, there is an AUX input on most Discovery 3 trims (and if not, it can be easily added)... all you need is a male-male 3.5mm audio cable to plug in any portable audio device, including iPod... for basic audio playback.

Post #3784017th Jan 2006 1:49 am
mjennings

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I wanted an integrated iPod experience too. So I purchased the Harman Kardon Drive+Play device then thought out my installation plan over a span of a couple weeks. I installed the controller just behind the emergency brake and installed the screen just under the ashtray, in front of the gear selector. It's a little hard to read if you're trying to scroll through a long list of artists while you're on the freeway, but I try to keep that activity to a minimum. Otherwise it works excellent!

During the installation I partially removed the center console so that I could drill the requisite holes and run the wiring to make it look as "factory" as possible. I wanted to see absolutely no wires, plugs or adapters anywhere. I ran the audio and 12v electrical to the back of the center console and soldered them to the "aux" and 12v socket on the backside for a permanent connection. The entire project took about 7 hours but did require a couple bandages for my fingers. I've got photos displayed in my gallery if you'd like to take a look.

One thing to note! When I removed all the wiring harnesses from the center console I could no longer get my LR3 out of park unless I flipped the emergeny release. I had to wait for the weekend to pass and then bring it down to the dealer and spend $180 for them to reset some code that's tripped when you remove it. I have no idea why that happened (maybe to prevent theft?). Anyway, they got it fixed and now it works perfectly. I would highly recommed the Drive+Play device to anyone.

One more sidenote, the "gain" from the iPod is lower compared to the FM or CD player. That means you really need to turn it up to get the same amount of volume. It does get plenty loud, even on the highway, but the downside is that the navigation voice guidance about blasts you out of the car. So either leave off the voice or don't use the iPod when you're getting directed someplace.

Mike

Post #4377523rd Feb 2006 2:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nice install! Thumbs Up
I'd be very wary of disconnecting anything electrical with the battery still connected, maybe this was the cause of your park brake problem?

Post #4378423rd Feb 2006 8:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fredblondieau

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Mile,

Do you know 'gopod', that you can get - for free - on http://gopod.free-go.net/ ? A very simple tool that will "unleash the power" of you Ipod...

Cheers,
Fred

Post #5384018th Apr 2006 5:25 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

fred,
The software that you link to will only have an effect on European ipods, thanks to the Euro-nannies' insistence on Apple turning down the volume. Our US brethren have access to 'full-fat' ipods.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #5443722nd Apr 2006 9:19 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

DrLex wrote:
fred,
The software that you link to will only have an effect on European ipods, thanks to the Euro-nannies' insistence on Apple turning down the volume. Our US brethren have access to 'full-fat' ipods.

I have a US version Ipod, but you can still turn up the volume on all the tracks via iTunes, via shift to select all tracks, right click, get info, volume adjustment - slide up.

Suggest no higher than a 50~60% boost or you may get a little distortion on the more brutal tracks. Also turn off the daft equalize volume rubbish. Once you change this option the entire iPod has to re-load for every track, so it can take a while. Mine is now slightly louder via Aux than the other inputs; I would not have said that a few weeks ago!!

I love my Belkin and 6" mini jack lead. It's perfect now and very neat. Suggest you use the socket at the bottom of the iPod and not the headphone jack.

Post #5445022nd Apr 2006 10:37 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Robbie wrote:
I love my Belkin and 6" mini jack lead. It's perfect now and very neat. Suggest you use the socket at the bottom of the iPod and not the headphone jack.

Funny... On my iPod setting using a Belkin adapter and the mini-jack, I have to use the headphone adapter or else I get too much distortion...

Maybe I should use an armored cable to go from the iPod to the the Aux input...

mjennings wrote:
One more sidenote, the "gain" from the iPod is lower compared to the FM or CD player. That means you really need to turn it up to get the same amount of volume. It does get plenty loud, even on the highway, but the downside is that the navigation voice guidance about blasts you out of the car. So either leave off the voice or don't use the iPod when you're getting directed someplace.

That is quite true ! The voice from the navigation can be adjusetd though... I saw something to that effect but as I was driving at that time, I could not find out more... I'll have to find it again one day... Wink
There was a menu which seemed to allow setting a differential between the level of the sat-nav system and the Aux input...

Post #5449723rd Apr 2006 12:07 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hold down the tone button for 5 secs to get into the menu for adjusting voice volumes etc.
 The End  
Post #5449923rd Apr 2006 12:34 pm
grommet

United States 

While the Navigation voice is talking, turning the volume knob will adjust it "live"... BUT... The Navigation voice volume adjustment is a positive offset from the normal volume, so it's virtually useless. Sad

I get no distortion with line-out (via Belkin) and iPod nano. It's about 5 volume ticks less than the same unmodified material playing on CD. Close, but not a perfect match. (I do not touch the "gain" in iTunes, since it just clips content that is already at the top of the dynamic range.)

As I've mentioned numerous times, there are two dumb flaws with the head unit: No AUX volume offset adjustment on the stereo & the Navigation voice volume should be a fixed volume and not an offset. Send feedback to LR.

Post #5450723rd Apr 2006 3:43 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

grommet wrote:
While the Navigation voice is talking, turning the volume knob will adjust it "live"...

That is probably what I did... Wink Is it permanent or does it have to be set up again after one has cut the ignition ?

grommet wrote:
I get no distortion with line-out (via Belkin) and iPod nano.

Well... I do... I don't know where it comes from but it is there with the Belkin adapter and NOT when using the headphone plug... Bizarre...

Post #5452423rd Apr 2006 6:23 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

grommet wrote:
I do not touch the "gain" in iTunes, since it just clips content that is already at the top of the dynamic range.

As I've mentioned numerous times, there are two dumb flaws with the head unit: No AUX volume offset adjustment on the stereo & the Navigation voice volume should be a fixed volume and not an offset. Send feedback to LR.

Hi grommet,

What you say makes perfect sense and it should be true. I only tried it because someone (who I trust) insisted that it worked. What the heck, I thought, and gave it a go. It worked for me - and I was really cheesed-off with the thing.

I was told 50% would be ok, so I tried 20% at the start, with some improvement, then 40% with much more improvement. It's near 60% now, more than is needed. When I find a track that is clipped I will post back. Nothing so far, but I think about a 50% boost on a US spec iPod is akin to the average CD or radio station via the iPod dock (Belkin in my case).

Post #5455523rd Apr 2006 7:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >