Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Summary of reported D3 problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lr1

United Kingdom 
Summary of reported D3 problems

I put together a list of the most common faults encountered by myself and others on the site, with possible causes. May help when talking to your dealers service department. (You are not alone)

David

UPDATED FAULTS SUMMARY 27/9/2006

Summary of Discovery 3 faults and possible causes:

Lower steering joint fault Dealer can contact LR technical there is a known lower steering joint fault on some vehicles.

Park Brake light warning: Electrical connector in left front side of vehicle may have water ingress. Technical Service Bulletin LA204-001 refers to water ingress to a connector in the front wheel arch. There are also software upgrades to reduce sensitivity.

Suspension failure warning: Air suspension will not raise or lower. Posssible compressor failure.

Seat lowers during journey: Faulty seat action, needs seat frame replaced.

Condensation in Xenons: it is a known issue on some vehicles. The Land Rover Tech info site has a bulletin for the condition.

Loss of engine power: Possible sensor issue.

Intermittent 'Engine system fault': turbo problem or there is also LA404-001 battery junction box connections (loose fuses basically) and LA501-007 Water Ingress via A-Pillar Exterior Trim or A-Pillar Trim Adrift (water getting into multipole connectors).

Low coolant warning: Possible faulty sensor.

Squeal from park brake: Park brake can does squeal sometimes when pulling away, usually on vehicles with 9000+miles. Get your dealer to check out the drums.

Starter motor re-engaging There is a software fix for Starter motor re-engaging
TSB LA303-006 "A customer may report a concern of a noise from the starter motor during engine cranking. Cause: A software calibration error is not detecting that the engine has started when cranking and attempts to re-engage the starter motor.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin."

Auto Transmission Park Problem When the gearlever is moved into the 'park' position, and indicators suggest the car has been secured, the brake may not be applied. VIN Range LA 354299 to LA 361594 affected.

Second Row Selt Belt Mounting The mounting for the buckle on the left second row seatbelt might not be strong enough and could fail in an accident. Vehicles SALLAAA176A355648 to SALLAAA176A356888 affected.

Rough Engine Idle After Cold Start TSB LA303-019 - Discovery 3/LR3 -
"A customer may report a concern that the engine idle quality is poor for 10 to 25 seconds after starting from cold for the first time during the day. No poor idle or power loss is experienced after the first initial cold start of the day and all other engine starts of the day, whether the engine is warm or hot, do not result in the same poor idle quality.

Cause: Contamination (debris/dirt or corrosion) in the fuel injectors affects injector spray and delivery rate. Contamination ingress can occur during various operations such as vehicle maintenance or repair and running on contaminated fuel. An injector with damaged internal sealing will also result in unmetered fuel entering the intake manifold.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Diagnostic Procedure detailed in this bulletin to establish the root cause of the issue."

Engine Hesitation Under Load TSB LA303-020 - Discovery 3/LR3. A customer may report a concern of an engine hesitation with power reduction under high engine loads, which recovers when the amount of throttle applied is reduced (feels like an early max engine rpm governor).
Cause: The following may cause the above symptoms:
Incorrect specification fuel.
Blocked or restricted fuel filter with possible logged diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2290 (Injector fuel pressure too low).
Crossed fuel filter pipe connections after repair or maintenance (Causes reversed flow or high back pressure).
Low fuel pump module supply pressure.
Contaminated fuel injectors.
High leak rate injectors.
Contaminated high-pressure fuel pump.

Engine Surge/Vibration at Constant Speed LA303-017 Discovery 3/LR3.
"A customer may report a concern that a mild engine power surge or a mild vibration similar to an engine misfire can be felt at certain (not all) constant road speeds. The noise may also be described as a noise from auto transmission (scrape or chain noise in all gears). This noise can be induced by revving the engine in neutral (N) and the pipes to/from the fuel filter will be seen to vibrate. In some cases, diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2292 'Injector Pressure Erratic' can be logged in the control module.

Cause: The fuel filter pipe connections have been incorrectly connected (during vehicle build or during maintenance and repair), which results in reverse fuel flow through the fuel filter element (large pipes crossed), or cause high back-pressure in the high-pressure fuel pump (small pipes crossed). If the fuel tank air-bleed and high-pressure fuel pump return via the fuel cooler is crossed, the resulting pressure fluctuations cause the fuel pipes to vibrate, leading to the above complaint."

Washer Reservoir Leak TSB LA501-030 Discovery 3/LR3 - Released 18/09/06
"A customer may report a concern of a fluid leak from the front of the vehicle, possibly suspecting a coolant/radiator leak. Closer inspection may reveal the windscreen reservoir to be the cause of the leak.

Cause: A manufacturer process error has resulted in a weak seam joint at the base of the washer reservoir.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Instruction detailed in this bulletin."

Vin range: Up to 6A408013, the upgraded part has a build date of 25/07/06

Last edited by lr1 on 27th Sep 2006 11:27 am. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #3700411th Jan 2006 3:06 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks, I'll combine these into the issues list.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #3700511th Jan 2006 3:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lr1

United Kingdom 

Martin,

Where is the 'issues list' located?

David

Post #3700711th Jan 2006 3:11 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

It's not been hiding Wink
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #3700811th Jan 2006 3:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

A little bit off-topic, but I have to ask, LR1, you are not the guy who had his D3 dropped off by the helicopter in Belfast on launch day are you?

Post #3701511th Jan 2006 3:39 pm
lr1

United Kingdom 

No this was not me, however given I have had direct experience of 4 of the faults I have listed I fear my car could have been dropped from a helicopter.

David

Post #3701611th Jan 2006 3:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

lr1 wrote:
No this was not me, however given I have had direct experience of 4 of the faults I have listed I fear my car could have been dropped from a helicopter.

David

When you get them sorted out it will be a fabulous vehicle Wink

Post #3701711th Jan 2006 3:46 pm
lr1

United Kingdom 

It was Tommy Rogers Disco3 brought in by helicopter.

http://www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm/first...d_in_style

LR1

Post #3702411th Jan 2006 4:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

lr1 wrote:
It was Tommy Rogers Disco3 brought in by helicopter.

http://www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm/first...d_in_style

LR1

I Wonder if he's on here?

Post #3702511th Jan 2006 4:02 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I also wonder if he got a suspension error after that! I'll bet it confused the hell out of it Wink

Post #3702711th Jan 2006 4:07 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Apparently they took out the engine so the helicopter could lift the beast Wink

-s

Post #3703511th Jan 2006 4:48 pm
Pelyma

England 

simon wrote:

-s

No they forgot to fit it on the line and PDI failed to spot this ommission. LRCS did claim however that this was a feature of the new discovery which is why it is so quiet and economical.

Several chipping companies were confused how they were to improve on the performance!!!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3703711th Jan 2006 4:58 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Pelyma wrote:
simon wrote:

-s

No they forgot to fit it on the line and PDI failed to spot this ommission. LRCS did claim however that this was a feature of the new discovery which is why it is so quiet and economical.

Several chipping companies were confused how they were to improve on the performance!!!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #3708311th Jan 2006 9:33 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

simon wrote:

-s
Puma has a max. payload of 3000kg, although the loadie would have had a right snit if it had fuel and a battery fitted Wink ( the D3, not the Puma Rolling Eyes )

Nice one Pelyma Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #3708411th Jan 2006 9:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >