Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Broke down on A9 south of inverness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ACHMELVICH

Broke down on A9 south of inverness

Travelling about 55mph in cruise.total loss of engine power,i managed to pull over and stopped tried cranking engine but would not start. Tried phoning LRA who were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Tried cranking the engine again after about 20 minutes, still no joy, the temp outside was -12 after another 15 minutes tried again this time it ran for 5 seconds then cut out. was getting rather Censored of by this time so i tried starting again this time it started and i put it into drive and it picked up and cut out and picked up again and i got to my destination 150 miles later without any further breakdown. There was no waning light etc before it broke down. My own theory is that the diesil froze because i could here the pump running trying to prime the engine for starting for about a minute. Anyway i have now done 600 miles since the mishap and i shall be booking it to get checked over wed. When you take the -12 temp and the wind cill factor in to consideration i think it was about -16. Buy the way i was using shell extra which i had not used before.
 TDV6 AUTO S JULY 2005  
Post #358864th Jan 2006 3:24 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yer, that'd do it alright, possibly also some water in the fuel filter (there normally is Rolling Eyes ) can't remember the formula but wind chill at 55mph would probably take the temperature down another 12 degrees Shocked

Post #358944th Jan 2006 8:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nobbyclark

Must be a bermuda triangle for Land Rovers - I saw a new RR neither on nor off the A9 at that point on Dec 30th. Disgruntled owner barking into mobile was pacing up and down behind it. Temp indicated in my car was -7C.

Post #359394th Jan 2006 5:18 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Exactly the same thing happened to me in a TD5 a few years ago on Drumochter pass. It was about - 15 degrees c and I had filled up on diesel in England at a supermarket. I guess the diesel didn't have the full winter additives so turned to porridge. Short of lighting a fire under the diesel tank (and I have see lorries do that in Russia) you simply have to wait for the diesel to liquify sufficently to start the vehicle, let it run for a few minutes stationary to warm through, then block the front air intake (I used the car mats) to keep the engine running warmer when moving.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #360014th Jan 2006 11:27 pm
10forcash

once diesel has started to 'flake' it won't turn back to diesel again, low temperature causes an irriversible chemical change, the best you can hope for is stratification in the fuel tank causes the flakes to sink and gradually get drawn in into the fuel filter
... and yes, i've experienced it... on a 5MW bank of Volvo Penta Gen. sets.... not fun at 0300 in the morning Rolling Eyes

Post #360064th Jan 2006 11:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The pour point of auto diesel is well below -20C, so the windchill factor must play an important part in this.

Post #360074th Jan 2006 11:38 pm
10forcash

We were getting a 80/20 mix of Dieso/Avtur flaking at -12 on static fuel lines with 50mm of insulation, the day tanks were uninsulated though Rolling Eyes (not my design)

Post #360094th Jan 2006 11:42 pm
nobbyclark

The diesel in our TDi froze a few years back whilst visiting the outlaws in Scotland. Temp was allegedly -22C. Added some unleaded petrol, waited for it to thaw and it started ok.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #360355th Jan 2006 10:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >