Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

V8 cold staring problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rhcaspian

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
V8 cold staring problem

Twice now on a cold morning the engine hasn't fired. I am not talking seriously cold not even below zero. Cranked it for 20 seconds or so nothing, turned it off and tried again nothing third attempt it fires. Not sure if I should press further on the throttle or not just worried it could flood and then what??. Noticed that it has become harder to start over the past couple of weeks, you have to crank and "catch it with a little throttle" to get it to kick in to life. It's a bit like the devil now sort of scared to approach it, find myself talking to it nicely before getting in a switching on.

My girlfriend said she got a message on the message centre when it happended to her but couldn't recall what it was

You guys all seem to run diesels...are there any petrol heads out there with the same problem? .

Hope this is not another 2500km drive to the dealer!!

Post #357303rd Jan 2006 3:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mmm not sure what this could be but I know you should leave the throttle alone when starting. Do you wait for the system check bong to go off before starting ?

Worth a try... also worth calling your dealer to see if they have any ideas before you trek all that way. But then I would love to drive a V8 for 2,500K's !

-s

Post #357323rd Jan 2006 3:53 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Re: V8 cold staring problem

rhcaspian wrote:
Twice now on a cold morning the engine hasn't fired. I am not talking seriously cold not even below zero. Cranked it for 20 seconds or so nothing, turned it off and tried again nothing third attempt it fires. Not sure if I should press further on the throttle or not just worried it could flood and then what??. Noticed that it has become harder to start over the past couple of weeks, you have to crank and "catch it with a little throttle" to get it to kick in to life. It's a bit like the devil now sort of scared to approach it, find myself talking to it nicely before getting in a switching on.

My girlfriend said she got a message on the message centre when it happended to her but couldn't recall what it was

You guys all seem to run diesels...are there any petrol heads out there with the same problem? .

Hope this is not another 2500km drive to the dealer!!

What fuel do you use? I mean brand.....Azpetrol, LukOil, etc. I recall some time ago a problem starting a V8 Discovery that turned out to be a fuel problem - though I cannot remember if it was contamination or merely off spec.

Post #357353rd Jan 2006 4:04 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

May be worth an "Italian tune up" has been known to cure many unexplained glitches on other cars Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #357363rd Jan 2006 4:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rhcaspian

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Azpetrol

Reading your email Winger I assume you have been to Azerbaijan?? I only use Azpetrol 95. Starting problem seems to be a hesitation to fire, it catches but feels like only half the engine has fired up, catch the throttle as it does it and all is fine. If you leave the throttle alone then it is really lumpy and stalls. Italian tune up assume you mean a good old thrash?? Not on these roads!!

Post #359354th Jan 2006 5:12 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I wonder if you are the proud owner of a dodgy batch of fuel? Might be worth getting the tank drained and then fill it up again.

Yep, I know Azerbaijan pretty well. Azpetrol should be fine, though it all comes from Azneftyag/Novobakinsky. If you can get it going and find a decent stretch, a good blast would do it no harm.....just cruising around Baku must choke the thing up a bit.

Post #359454th Jan 2006 5:55 pm
Monkeyhanger

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Those symptoms are certainly not typical of my V8 whether it's running on petrol or LPG. Without any throttle it starts first time. I've clocked up 5,000miles in two months now and is running like a dream.I'm enjoying myself so much I'm visiting my friends and relations at all ends of the country.

Post #359604th Jan 2006 8:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >